Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Second hand goods!

Ladies
2bsmart has inspired me to be a little less "picky" and try and nab a few bargains on ebay!
What are your thoughst on a second hand breast pump? I have never seen one so don't know what bit attaches where and if everything's sterilised.
Do you think it would be ok? I'm going for a manual one.
Thanks
Em
15+2
xx

Replies

• I wld be put off with buying stuff like this second and tbh even having a hand me down from my sister - i know it wld all be sterilised but I just am not comfortable with the idea xxxxx Just my opinion though!!! xxx
  • Hi Em,

Not too sure on the whole sterilising and hygiene thing but Tommee Tippee manual breast pumps are half price to ??12.99 at babies r us now!

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Feeding/Breast-Feeding/Breast-Pumps/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-to-Nature-Breast-Pump(0070485)

Ella
    19 weeks today!
  • Hi Ella
    Thank you, i'll go take a look at that.
    I do want to stop being so picky but everything I find i'm umming over! Thanks again xxx
  • i think it is a brilliant idea - i cannot afford the ??80 for the medela swing but you can pick them up on ebay for ??40 --

I would much rather have the better quality product second hand rather than a crap product new.

Good luck with bargain hunting x
  • Thanks Summer, I did reply to you on 2bsmarts post. I'm looking ebay at the Philips one and can get the ??85 electric one for th e same price as a manual one! xxx
  • If buying a second hand breast pump from someone ask if they are the only one that used it and how much they used it, because if it was used alot it might not last very long.
  • Manual is rubbish. I have one from last time and ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome (sore hands) and it was agony to use. Trying to get a second hand electric one. I don't see a prob as long as it's sterilised x
  • Sorry to gatecrash but I have a Medela Swing that I don't need anymore. It's not had a huge amount of use as I only used it for about 2 months to express for a dream feed. I've still got the instructions but no box for it, I've also got an extra breast sheild in a smaller size. Not got round to Ebay as I am to lazy to take the photo's :lol: but if anyone is interested just drop me an email. I only want ??40 for it but I've got no idea how much postage would be.
    xxx
  • ooooh bedhea that is a bargain - shame I already have one :lol: LOVE my MEdela wouldn't be without it!
  • Ahhh, but you are allowed another baby!!! I'm all done at two so I don't need it any more :lol:
    xx
  • Before you go spending see if you have a local busom buddies or la leche league as they rent out electric motors for next to nothing and you can buy from them very cheaply new attachments. ask your m/w for details

sorry if thats a hashed message cant concentrate

xDBxx
  • Manual is rubbish. I have one from last time and ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome (sore hands) and it was agony to use. Trying to get a second hand electric one. I don't see a prob as long as it's sterilised x

Just to offer the other side of the coin.....I exclusively expressed for 7 1/2 months using only manual pumps, so manual does suit some people better!

I tried a Medela Mini Electric and hated it, it was either useless or brutal, nothing in between! "Next time" I want to try an Avent electric as I loved my Avent manual.

As for second hand I don't see any problem with it, after all whether you buy new or used, the first thing you do is strip it down, wash and sterilise it. The only thing that would bother me is if the previous user was a smoker. Baby stuff is so expensive that you need to save wherever you can!

Corinna x
  • That another thing to consider is how much you are going to pump. If it is only once and awhile for a feed here and there you can probably get away with a manual pump and its cheaper. But if you are going to pump alot, go with electric. I made the mistake of going with a cheaper model and it was bad, I wish I had boughten a Medla double breast pump. The hospital had one and I used it while my lo was having surgery and it was great.