Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Blood pressure

Has anyone had high blood pressure in their pregnancy? I'm worried about developing it. When I saw my mw at 10 weeks it was 130/70, then when I saw my GP at 12 weeks it was 132/86. I'm now 14+2.

They both told me this was normal and I shouldn't worry. My GP implied that the reason it was quite high was because I was stressing out (probably true as my heart rate was 120!)

The thing is, I'm really worrying about it! I'm about 10lbs overweight but I've got really big boobs, 36H, so assume that takes up a bit of it lol (excuses excuses). My mum had pre-eclampsia with me and my partner's mum had it with his sister (who was born prematurely at 29 weeks). My mum still suffers from high blood pressure now, it runs in families so you can see why I'm worrying! Would raised BP mean a premature baby or could it harm my baby?

Is there anything I can do about it? I see my mw in 2 weeks and I know I'm going to be freaking out when she takes it! Should I be cutting out salt? (that'll be hard for me as I love the stuff lol)

Replies

• Raised BP is really common in pregnancy - the doctors will tell you pretty quickly if there is something for you to be worrying about. Try not to worry as this will increase it. Sorry couldn't give you more advice. xx
  • It is common in pregnancy for your BP to be raised & if youre stressed it will be higher than normal anyway.

Have you mentioned to your mw that your mum & your partners mum both suffered from pre-eclampsia during pregnancy coz at least then they would have it in your notes & could watch out for the symptoms. If its any reassurance to you my mum suffered from pre-eclampsia during both her pregnancies & I'm currently 36+2 weeks with my 2nd pregnancy & I havent suffered from it.

Hilary x