Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Arguing.....

A conversation I had with a girl I work with this morning has got me thinking about couples who argue. Me and hubby argue a bit, mainly over petty things and they are normally over quite quickly. BUT my friend was saying that she and her OH NEVER argue! Literally never!!

Now I always hear that arguing is healthy in a relationship and I can't understand how a couple who live together, have a kid together and have been together almost 10 years never argue if they are being completely open and honest with eack other.

So do you and your OH argue and what do you think it healthiest in a relationship. xxx

Replies

• Options
    Me and my OH argue, i dont think its healthy not to argue. Our arguments are usually over stupid things, when one of us is tired or in a bad mood but I dont think they're a big deal.

We dont have huge blazing rows very often (and the making up after those is always excellent!) but I think arguing shows you're passionate about each other. I find it hard to believe that you could be with someone and agree on everything, so I agree its more likely that they arent open and honest with each other xx

36+1
  • Options
    My OH and I argue a lot less than we used to. Mainly because I've mellowed (through conscious effort!) quite a lot. I used to have a right temper on me and would often take it out on him image We definitely don't agree on a lot of things but we discuss them more or agree to disagree more than we used to.

My parents hardly EVER argue. I remember when I was 12 and I saw them 'argue' for the first time (but when I say argue - most people wouldn't even have noticed!) but it was just so abnormal for them that I was convinced they were going to get a divorce based on a heated disagreement they had for all of five minutes :OD When I realised how much my husband and I were arguing a few years ago I stood back and took a look at how we deal with disagreements and how my parents do. I realised that my OH and I were very immature in our way of dealing with things. Rather than behave like adults and talk it out and try and reach a compromise I'd let myself get wound up and angry and then it just spiralled out of control. We're both much happier now, I lose my temper rarely and everything is generally much more chilled out on the home front (which has to be good training for when we become parents in January).

So... to cut my waffling short - I think every relationship will have healthy debate, couples can't agree on everything - but there are definitely healthy and unhealthy ways of dealing with disagreements.
  • Options
    I think the word 'argue' can be taking in many different ways actually. Hubby and I have tiny little 'arguments' every day - normally because of my hormomes, or him being tired, and always over silly little things. It lasts never longer than a minute or so and if it needs talking about properly it is so within minutes! Though I wouldn't call that arguing - simple disagreements.

We argue (as in raised voices, sulking, me in tears, that type of thing! lol) possibly once a month if that? And we both know the best way for us to deal with it, so even though we might both lose our tempers we NEVER say anything hurtful or spiteful and it always gets sorted in the end. Its normally over something that's just built up and up and needs 'exploding'! lol Which is healthier than keeping it locked up inside.

We're happy, we know what works, and we know that our silly disagreements each day are because we're both stubbon, he doesn't see mess (he's admitted that to me!! lol), and I get frustrated easily at the moment! It's only ever the proper 'arguments' that cause any tension, and we never have those in front of ANYONE, so wouldn't dare anywhere near a baby.

Talking is the most important thing. For sure. Just remember that an 'argument' to one person, is a simple conflict of opinion to another! lol

C xxx
  • Options
    I dont want to sound smug or anything but my hubby and I hardly ever argue, probably about 4/5 times a year and even then its not shouting just heated talking! We have lots of passion and arent scared to voice our opinions its just that we dont really argue.

I have had relationships where we argued alot but its different with hubby, not sure why really, just dont ever seem to get mega angry with him!! xx
  • Options
    me and hubby have 'heated' conversations quite regularly with slightly raised voices, but we will only have a full blown argument about once every 6 months. most of our bickering is over money or the kids (rather his lack of involvement). i find it healthy that when we do have a big argument absolutely everything comes out and we wake up the next morning feeling nice and refreshed with huge weights off our shoulders. and lets face it if you dont argue (sorry to be so crude) how can you have make up sex!!!! which i personally think is one of the most passionate sorts out there! lol xx
  • Options
    me and hubby have 'disagreements' but we've learnt to accept that we won't see eye to eye on everything. We give and take where we can, we're both quite easy going. When we do have a heated argument it is normally resolved when I go off in a sulk and then laugh at myself. We can then talk about things more light heartedly and rationally.
  • Options
    me & OH argue a fair amount unfortunately. Lately especially. We keep it away from the kids though. Its not their fault their dad is a completey selfish, controlling, arrogant tosser! Oops! ......yes , we argue. xx
  • Options
    My hubby and I don't argue and it's definitely not because we lack passion or are afraid to voice our opinions to each other!

This is our first baby though, so things may well change image

I think whether arguing is 'healthy' totally depends on the couple in question. I have been in argumentative relationships before and been really miserable, and I would be miserable if hubby and I argued. Whereas my friend and her partner argue like crazy but wouldn't have it any other way!

• Options
    Hubby and i have had just two major arguments in our relationship but we do bicker everyday!! lol x
  • Options
    We rarely have massive arguements (i.e. me storming out of the house and sitting round the corner in tears till he calls me...lol!!) but we often have disagreements and little tiffs. Wouldn't want to be with someone who I didn't argue with at all - I think I would get bored!!!
  • Options
    Me and DH have been together for 6 years and have never had an argument. If we have a prob, then we discuss it. I don't think whether you argue or not has any impact on how passionate/healthy your relationship is.
    Saying that, Once the sleepless nights are here, I'm sure there will be arguments aplenty!! lol