Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

moses baskets??

I never had one with J & Isaac - they went straight in cots. I had one with Tyler but after he grew out of it he had trouble settling in a cot for a few weeks. Im not sure if I will bother this time round..

Will you be getting one?

Replies

• Sorry, G/C from baby, saw this on front page! We had moses basket and LO did not sleep well in it at all. We got a swinging crib from a fiend when he was 5wks, and never looked back! The advantage was it was small enough to fit in our room, but big enough so he could fit in untill 5months when he went in own room. Also because it's got bars, I think makes the switch easier. I think w will def buy our own second time around!!

Hope this helps xxxx
  • We never had a moses basket either. Mine all were in a swinging crib too. I loved it as I could lie down next to it and push them whilst I was half asleep!! lol!! x x x
  • we jad one but it lasted a few weeks and then she was waking herself as kept banging the sides. she was in swinging crib until 3 nights ago at almost 17 weeks, so i would go straight for cot next time! saying that we were lucky enough to borrow the swinging crib x
  • we are being given a moses basket from MIL so we're jst going to use that and see how we go. then we're moving LO into a cot after about 5 months or so.
  • Both of mine went straight into moses baskets when they were babies, but all babies are different.
    With this little man I have a moses basket for upstairs at night and a swinging crib for in the living room for the daytime.

Maz x
    39+5
  • I have to say that I love moses baskets - dead handy too because you can move them around the house.But a swinging crib would do just as well .
    http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/204/118/1172874490/s1172874490_170745_4192.jpg

I have attached a picture of my daughter in hers - I can't wait to get it out of the loft and all set up for the next one xx

[Modified by: MLM on April 28, 2010 08:31 PM]

• I won't be getting one. Plan to buy a push chair with a pram bit anyway so will use that if necessary. But otherwise plan to go straight into cot xx
  • i'll be re using ds's one, he was in it til he was 4 months and even then we oly took him out as he had started to roll so it wasnt' sturdy enough, but he stll had plenty of room in there, we also had no problems settling him into his cot, we started the week prior putting his moses in the cot with the bars up so he could see them, then after a week got rid of the moses altogether and eh was fine...this time we're alsop gonna get a crib so that this baby can stay in with us longer (hopefully the full 6months) but will still be using the moses for at least the first few weeks ful time and then just in the day after that, and nightime sleeps will then be in our room in the crib. x
  • We had to use one to have lo in the same room as us and otherwise it'd be lo on a different floor to us there is NOWAY a cot will fit in our room so it;ll be the same this time around!
  • I think we will get one, but stick to a cheap one and not overspend knowing it wont last.

I was considering going straight to a crib/cot but a Moses Basket is the only way LO will fit in the bedroom with us intially so I think we need one. Some of the full travel systems come with a lie flat basket type bed and stand, so I may price that up as an option also.

I have been searching online and have found BabiesRus to be the cheapest so far for Moses Baskets.
  • I have 3 children already and used them for about the first 3 months in my room then put them in a cot they were all fine, this time i have got a moses basket again but i found one for only ??25 from Asda, bargain, so if he grows too big fo rit quickly it wont be that bad as was only cheap xx
    I must admit though i do like the look of some of the cribs they are gorgeous x
  • I have been wondering this myself. I had a swinging crib for dd , I am just buying a new mattress so I can reuse it. I was thinking of getting a moses basket for downstairs and leaving the swinging crib in my bedroom. Although I might just get a pram with carrycot. Mmmmm decisions decisions!! Good thing I have another 71/2 months to go!!! image
  • michmummy2b, thats the one we've got, ds lasted in it for ages, but we don't have that stand for it, we bought the basket from our local baby shop for ??40 and got a second hand stand for ??5, it is lovely (ours is cream waffle) and even at 14 weeks when we stopped using it ds still had lots of room. x
  • I had one with my son Tyler and he was in it a week and he hated it and it got knocked over and he fell out....
    I got rid of it (as we were not having more kids) :lol: I will not be getting another one.... I did see one at a carboot for ??2- and i did think for ??2- maby worth it but OH said it was to soon :lol:

The buggy i am getting has a Carrycot type thing so ill prob just use that in doors and bedtime it will have the cot

Gems 8wks image
  • WoW baby that's good to know hopefully it'll last the distance image !! We bought just the basket from Argos and have loaned our stand from a friend x
  • Well my friend has a baby of 6 weeks and it only lasted in the moses basket for 2 weeks and is now in a cot in its own nursery. So they have said we can borrow the moses basket and see how it goes. But the nursery will be all set up in case it doens't work out. Don't think i iwll be keeping baby in moses basket for too long as our bedroom prob isn't the best and quietest place - OH works funny hours so is coming in a silly hours of the morning and I just have to sleep with the TV on lol.
  • We bought a moses basket from Mothercare, as baby will be in our room with us for the first so many weeks.
    And also I can carry it downstairs for daytime naps.

I loved the swinging cribs, but they were too expensive for what we wanted, and weren't moveable, so was a no for us.
    This is our first baby, so see how we get on!

Leanne (31+1) xx
  • I'm definitely getting a moses basket, they are easy to move about so perfect for taking up and downstairs.
    I found this website that does them really reasonable

www.elegantbaby.co.uk
  • We had a crib for our bedroom and when Lily was downstairs she slept in the carry cot part of our pushchair. Think we will do that again this time. She lasted until 5 and a half months in the crib before she went into her cot in her own room. xx