Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

preg with 2nd or more and claim childcare vouchers ... READ

Ok - complicated but thanks to one of the other mums on here I have discovered that we are basically entitled to free money once we move onto only SMP or onto unpaid additional maternity leave.

So .... if you have a child who is in any form of childcare and you claim childcare vouchers from your employer in order to pay for the childcare your employer HAS to continue to honour your voucher payments throuhgout your maternity leave BUT this cannot be deducted from SMP payments so once your maternity pay reduces to SMP or LESS you employer still HAS to give you ??243 a month FOR FREE. I KNOW IT SEEMS UNBELIEVABLE BUT IT'S TRUE!

This is confirmed in the HMRC guidance entitled 'Statutory Maternity Leave - Salary Sacrifice and non-cash benefits' specifically on page 15 of
26 in the sections subheaded contractual non-cash benefits and salary sacrifice. Here is a link to the document if required:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/sml-salary-sacrifice.pdf

I just want to make this clear to as MANY people as poss as it is our entitlement!!! But If the conservatives get in they may cancel our rights to childcare vouchers and therefore to this free money!

I REALLY hope this helps someone else out as much as it will us!!!!! image

Replies

• Options
    No way!! We are hoping to ttc no 2 at the end of the year and one thing that has really been worrying me is childcare cause my lo loves nursery so I would like to keep him at nursery 1 day a week. This would be so much of a help!! I remember when I was pregnant with my lo I had to fill out a form that asked me what I wanted to do with my flexible benefits while on mat leave. at the time I didnt have any but now I do - childcare vouchers is classed as a flexible benefit. They were basically saying that they would deduct the money from the wage does this mean that they are in the wrong? How would I take it up with them if we do have another? Oh and does it apply in Scotland? image
  • Options
    sorry dunno about Scotland but the law changed to this in October 2008 - as to how to take it up with them just show them this official doc that I have linked here and tell them it is their legal duty! I don't see why it wouldn't apply in scotland - it is under the Sex discrimination act so if that applies in Scotland then this does too!
  • Options
    Glad you are posting this everywhere! x
  • Options
    well it was down to you really jfp! But share the wealth and knowledge! :lol: