Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Shock Surprise!

Morning ladies, we just found out yesterday that my cousin is 32 weeks pregnant with her first baby and she had absolutely no idea that she was pregnant! She had been on contraceptive injections, which apparently stop your periods. She had no symptoms and has not put on any weight (she is still a size 12!!). I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this or knows of someone else that this has happened to. Being 23 + 5 myself with our first baby, apart from no morning sickness, I had symptoms of pregnancy early on, such as sore nipples etc etc. I have also had lots of fetal movement and now have a nice round bump, I find it really interesting that some women don't even know they are pregnant until they go into labour.
Your views would be great!
Thanks. x

Replies

• Oh my god, cannot believe that!! I found out pretty late but 32 weeks is crazy!! Her pregnancy will go so quick for her now she has only just found out. I had/still have no pregnancy symptoms or any weight gain really (put on 13lbs) &can still get in size 8 tops and 10 jeans. I will never know how some women dont know they are having a baby until baby comes out! My baby moves around loads now, i wonder why she didn't notice her baby moving? What a shock for her! Sophia x
  • I'm only 7+1 but I only just about fit into the bigger size 14 trousers I bought...I'm originally a 12 but lately my whole figure has gone...and VERY quickly at that!!!
  • hi sazzyjay
    i was the same was walking round at 8 weeks with what i thought was a massive belly haha think mine might of been wind and constipation because now i have a bump it def feels different i have been in maternity jeans for two months because there comfy
  • ooo yes wind....now that is NOT pleasant...ok when you're at home but when you're working its a big NONO haha!
  • Hi

I have a friend who had a baby in secret and didn't tell anyone she'd had her until the baby was 6 weeks old!!!! imageimage

She was still in size 14 clothes and came out with me and got drunk the week before she gave birth!!!!!! She drank and smoked right through, luckily the baby was fine.

She went to hospital with what was thought to be appendicts and was in labour!

She was that shocked she put the baby in care and didn't tell anyone. She eventually told her mum and the baby is now 3 years old.

I am 26 wks on my first and I just can't understand to this day how she reckons she didn't know???? I think she may have beenin denial...
    I knew I was pregnant 3 days before my period was due.

It's a crazy thing...

Sam x
  • My Husbands cousin managed to keep her pregnancy a secret until she was over 6 months gone because she didn't want her mom to make her have an abortion!! She managed to stay in size 10 clothes throughout grr! but at least there is solace in the fact that she still suffered with stretchmarks!
  • loads of my family & friends still dont know im pg. im 19+3 & apart from the people on here + my gp/midwife i have only told about 7 ppl. my mum guessed when i was about 7 wks & i only told my dad about a wk ago. other then that no1 knows. i hate ppl asking me questions but if they really took notice they couldnt miss my belly!!! i cant! im just a very private person but i am shocked bout ppl that dont actually no themselves. CRAZY***
  • A colleague's sister was 40, no previous children or pregnancies when she was rushed to a&e with appendicitis - she had a baby and had not known. She was a skinny size 10, no bump and had smoked and drank all the way along. Baby weighed 4lbs but was otherwise fine!!
  • i didn't know with my 2nd til i was over 5 months as i just don't have periods and i didn't have any sickness or anything i found out after i went to have my tonsils out and they did a routine blood test but they didn't tell me then, they just sent the results to my doctor and when i saw her she asked if i'd made an appointment to see a midwife yet and i didn't have a clue what she was talking about, hell of a shock for me!!!!!!!
  • Thanks for your replies everyone, I find it incredible that some people have no bump at all! I remember reading in a magazine a long time ago similar stories, where teenagers didn't know that they were in labour and were still a size 8! I am 23 + 5 and my tummy is a nice round shape...even strangers know I'm pregnant! I am feeling lots of movement now and I love watching my belly move, especially in the bath and when my husband and I are lying down in bed! How can people not see this? I can't wait to speak to my cousin and ask her!!!!
  • two people i know of this has happened to both of them thought it was menopause one found out at 30 weeks when she had a water infection and the other when she was giving birth they lived 4 doors away from each other how strange it must have been n the water lol
  • how can people not know?! I started to show quite late - probably up to about 24 weeks other people didn't realise I was pg unless I told them (although it was very obvious to me!) but from then on my bump has just got bigger and bigger but the main thing is how much the baby started to move from about week 28 onwards - what must these women think when their tummy starts moving on it's own accord?! Surely that's a tip off?!! Or maybe they think they're just having the worst case of IBS ever!
  • in my case where i was over 5 months before finding out i asked how i couldn't have known apparently some people don't get much movement because of the way their baby is laying all the kicks can be towards their back which they wouldn't reconise as baby movement as its more like backache which is what i had or if your quite overweight you wouldn't feel as much and if you got other kids or a busy lifestyle you may not notice and it all depends on how aware you are of your own body obviously pregnant women usually are aware but if they didn't know they were pregnant would they be?
  • An aunt of mine when she was pregnant with her 3rd still had periods and had no pregnancy symptoms at all she put on a tiny bit of weight but apparently thought it was due to eating too much, the first she knew of being pregnant was when labour started.............now thats what you call a shock!!!
  • Yes, I've heard too that if you are very overweight you don't get so much of the baby movements, but then again, it's inside your tummy, so surely you would still feel? Not sure......she is still a size 12 though lucky thing!!
  • i tell you what a shock/suprise is....i just nearly crashed my car in town cos i just couldn't believe my eyes....a woman who looked about 90 driving a brand new 2 litre subaru impreza!! and she was going the usual 15 miles an hour as these old peeps tends to do.....i couldn't help but stare! What on earth is she driving that for when all i've got is a 02 1.4litre daewoo??? life is just so cruel sometimes!!!
  • Lucky old woman!!! Why do they get the good cars if they drive so slowly! Not fair........