Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Am i loosing our bean? (TMI) UPDATED

hi ladies, sorry to post a not so happy topic but i need some honest answers and know this is the place to find them! ill explain my story so far....

i found out i was pg 3 weeks ago, last wednesday i started bleeding, just spotting at first gradually getting heavier, but it kept stopping and starting, i was referred to EPAU for an early scan which i had on tuesday morning. At the scan the women said i am measuring 6weeks, she said the sac was in the right place, my overis looked good and that the bleeding WASNT coming from the sac but she didnt know where it was coming from, she said in her opinion it was just too early for heartbeat and to come back in 2 weeks. since then my bleeding has got heavier and there are now small clots. the clots are deep red and wen squished (sorry TMI) they are just blood. i have rung the EPAU and they were useless!

what i was wanting to know is does this sound like the start of a miscarrage? could i have these small clots and everything still be okay?could the clots just be a build up of blood? im just confused and want some straight answers tbh. if this is a miscarrage when will it all hapen?what will the sac look like?iv researched it on the internet but get so many different stories i dont know what to believe! also i already have 2 dd's and have never miscarried before, is this common?

thank you ladies xxxxxxxxxxxxx

UPDATED

first i just want to thank you all for your replies, it really helps and means alot! i rang the EPAU this morning and altho the women was nice they are not very helpful with moving the scan forward fom 12th august. the women said coz i was only scanned on tuesday that another scan wouldnt show anything diff at all, she said not to worry about the small clots unless they get bigger and i start to loose too much blood, then iv to go in not for the baby but for the risk to me. so stuck in limbo land until either something happens or my scan....xxxxx

[Modified by: shellyw on 31 July 2009 09:25:39 ]

Replies

• I dont know how much I can help as everyone is different but, while no bleeding is 'normal', it doesnt always have to be bad. When I mc I was in a lot of pain, with period like cramps. I was only 5 + 5 so it felt like I was having a period. However, I have bled twice in this pregnancy, once very badly, and yet I am now nearly 27 weeks with twins.

When I bled I went straight to A+E, no questions asked, and they were lovely. If you are worried, dont wait but go to your local A+E. They will help. Hope all is ok hun xxx
  • hi shellyw just wanted to say how sorry i am for you to be experiencing some bleeding. i really don't know what to say about your bleeding as i don't want to upset or excite but i do hope everything is good for you. have been experiencing [sp?] servere abdominal pain? because me and my friend both had mc's last mine was mmc and hers was a mc but we both had bad stomach ache. sorry not much help really just didn't wanna r+r and wanted to say i've got fingers crossed for a sticky bean xxx
  • thank you both very much for your replies, im am really grateful, i havent had any stomach pains which makes me hopeful, but iv been reading on net that not everyone does get pains so then i was back to square one again!

thanks again xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Hia, i was further along than u are i was 12 weeks..had light spotting which turned into heavy bleeding/cramping..massive blood clots..lasted about a week...Baby was fine, had a scan he was wringgling away like nothing was wrong! And im now 34 weeks gone and havent had a bleed...Although bleeding isnt 'normal' it is quite common...lots of women go through bleeds and things r fine...babies do there job of worrying us before they r even born! Good luck and hope u have a sticky bean!! image rest up and relax...easier said than done i know! haha xx
  • thanks for your reply vickie, and firstly im glad the pregnancy is going well! not long to wait now. did they tell you why you had the bleed? its always nice to hear people have been threw the same and everything has turned out well, i hope its the same in my case too.

thanks again xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • No, no-one has mentioned it since...the only person who showed any concern was the sonographer who did the scan..she was lovely and she suggested it may of been the placenta coming away a bit..but no doctor or midwife said anything and to just expect the worse...i was already planning with my other half how to deal with the m/c naturall of DC and i have never seen OH cry like that before. They called it a 'threatened miscarriage'. But im just tring to let u know that while bleeding is a danger sign it doesnt mean 100% ur losing baby...plus with the lady saying everything is growing in the right place and bleeding not from baby is a brilliant sign ,thats what i was told when i had the scan. Keep us all updated image xx
  • thanks, we keep thinkin the worst too, its natural i think even tho its the last thing you would want to happen! i am going to ring the EPAU in the morning see if they will give me another scan, i have one on the 12th august to check the heartbeat but i dont think this is soon enough to check my bleeding. xxxx
  • Im sorry you are having a tough time. I would just keep pushing the epu for another scan sooner. Every one and everyones stories are so different its hard to guess the outcome.

Ive had 2 mc and 2 kids and the one i had heavy bleeding and cramps with was my oldest we boy who was fine, the other mc i had no symptoms at all.

We do always think the worst to protect ourselves but with this you really dont know

Keeping my fingers crossed for you

Gemm x
    13+6
  • I would def try and push for another scan. Like the girls said although it is not normal, its not uncommon and it doesnt always mean miscarriage. Thinking of you and I hope everythign goes well for you hun xxxxx
  • Hi hunnie, there is nothing much more that I can say that the other girls haven't already said, but I would definitely try for another scan, at least then you will have more of an idea what is happening, bleeding is always such a worry.
    Sending you a big hug.

xx
  • thanks la-la i need big hugs heehee, at least the bleeding hasnt got worse over night so fingers crossed xxx
  • Hi Shelly,

My brothers Fiance is currently 17 weeks pregnant and from 5-14 weeks she had bleeding most days! They are still unsure now what caused it but she was told like you that it was not coming from the sac, which of course does not stop you from worrying!

Her symptoms sounded very similar to yours and although everyone is different i thought it might put your mind at rest to know that she is ok now, bleeding stopped and little 'lumpy' doing well.

Take care
    Kerry
    25+3

• Hi Shelly I had a similar bleed at 7 weeks which started as light discharge, then went onto clots and bleeding with what i can only describe as AF type pains which came in waves. They were great at the hospital and scanned me straight away and all was well and i was told to rest and that it was a threatened miscarriage. I do think you should go into the hospital to see them and get a physical check even if they wont scan again. This should be able to at least tell you if your cervix is closed etc which should put your mind at ease some!!
    Im now 12+3 and had my scan on tuesday which was fine....but they did say I had a low lying placenta and this is probably why i had a bleed and it could cause me to bleed again, but all should be well if i do.
    Really hope yours is something similar to mine but give them a call and see if you can go and see a doctor....big hugs and lots of luck xx
  • hiya... I had a "missed" miscarriage last year with no symptoms at all, and this time round, when I started spotting then bleeding this time I assumed tha we were losing this one too.. had a scan at the epu who said I had a small tear in the placenta, about 7 weeks. The bleeding stopped and started for 3 or 4 weeks, each time I phoned the epu again and basically stressed out until they let me have more scans... they told me that clot-wise to only really panic if they were the size of a five pence or bigger... I dont know if they were just saying that to stop me stressing and leave them alone... I am sorry you have to go through this, I am now 24w and stopped bleeding about 11-12 weeks. By the time I went for my 12 week scan they couldnt find the tear anymore. I would advise calling them whenever you are concerned, that is what the EPU is there for...
  • thanks for your replies ladies, youve all been so helpful and kind image my bleeding seems to have subsided again for now so fingers crossed im threw the worst of it and little bean is holding on image

it was the clots that made me freak out i think i didnt realise these were "normal" xxxxx