Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Fibroids detected during pregnancy - anyone?

Hi Girls

i've just had my 12wk scan today and the sonographer said it looked like I had a fibroid within my uterus.
She really didn't explain what/how/issues etc and it left me really paniced and worried.

I came out of my scan really down and tearful - even though bean was happy as larry.

Has anyone else been told they had fibroids and have they caused any issues?

I've done some research since getting home and I do feel better thats its common and nothing to worry about but as a first time mum and obviously being anxious enough as it was with our scan - it just really ruined everything.

PP84
xx

Replies

• I have a fibroid too hun. It's tiny and actually knew about it before my pregnancy and strangely it's never been mentioned at either of my scans.

Fibroids are really common, they can be in different parts of the uterus and often cause no problems. If they're very large and within the cavity of the uterus they can affect implantation by getting in the way, but your beans done that part already.

I wouldn't worry Hun, if it was any cause for concern in sure they'd have got someone to see you about it, more likely it's just an incidental finding that they have to comment on.

Congratulations on your happy bean, hope you got some lovely pics x
  • thanks kayssis - now i've read up on it I do feel better but it was just because the sonographer looked really perplexed and didn't really seem to want to talk about it - obviously panic mode kicked in.

Thanks for replying image) makes me feel better

xxx
  • Glad you feel better. I was told in Jan 08 that I had fibroids but I got pregnant in April that year without them being removed, and it didn't cause me any problems at all - in fact didn't even get mentioned at any of my scans.
  • My mum developed one between being pregnant with me and my brother. Hers caused no problems and is only now (at 52) needing some medical attention. Don't worry about it, if the sonographer never said anything it means its all good!
  • I got told I had one when I had a scan during mc. I was scared as MIL was proper poorly as hers was very big and she ended up having to have a hysterectomy but my scan lady was lovely and reassured me that it wouldn't have had anything to do with the mc and that I didn't need to do anything about it. I think they just sound scary like asteroid!
  • they found one with my first pregnancy but it was in a position that wouldn't cause any problems...they can cause painful/heavy periods which is a sign of them but like you i only found out i had one from my 12 week scan, i was given extra scans as they can grow during pregnancy but it's nothing to worry about unless they are in a position to cause problems during birth x

[Modified by: mrsjbourne on February 26, 2010 08:39 PM]

• thanks so much girls - thats really good to hear.

Its strange because i've never suffered pain/heavy periods etc but since about 6 weeks pregnant I have been very aware of a 'pressure' ache in lower right side which i've read is a sign of fibroids.

She also said it looked like I was having mild contractions whilst she was scanning which was just not something you want to hear at 12wks but she said that was really common and just to do with growth.

Do you know when sometimes you think theres a time to mention something (relevant) and a time not to??? that was one of those times....

xxx
  • Hi
    I found out at my 12 week scan that I had a fibroid they said at the time it was nothing to worry about because it wouldn't affect the baby growing. At my 20 week scan it was mentioned again as it has grown. They want to keep an eye on it because of where it is, if it carries on growing it may block the babies way out and I may need to have a caesarean. Which isn't ideal but have decided there is no point worrying until I know for sure, there are plenty of other reasons I could end up having a caesarean.

It took ages for us to conceive so this could have been the reason why. I also used to have very heavy painful periods. In a way it's been good to finally get an explanation!!

xx