Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Have you had a sweep?

Hi girls

I will be seeing my MW next tuesday at 12 and she wants to do a sweep I will be 39+5 . I asked her if it would hurt and she said yes it will and that she was not going to lie to me so now I am a little worried about having it done.

K xx
38+5

Replies

• I am 40+5 now and slowly going insane. I have an apt at the hospital on Thurs which I pressume they will try and do a sweep then. Not looking forward to it - Are u able to ask them NOT to do them do u know? I only ask as I cant be that far away from being induced if nothing has happened so dont relish the prospect of a sweep if only days later they will do something anyway. I am a huge wimp and am planning on having an epidural so dont want to have any unneccessary pain image Although being so overdue now is getting to me! x
  • My MW did say to me that I do not have to do it if I do not want. I am a little shocked she is doing it on me so early as I have read most is done afdter 40 weeks?

I did say to her I have heard they do not work on first time mothers and she agreed which makes me think why are you going to do it then but she said she can then see what my cervix is like and I guess thats a good thing?

K xx
    38+5
  • I have had three sweeps done, one with each of my girls. Mostly they didn't hurt, just uncomfortable, but it is over in seconds. To try to explain so you aren't sat imagining the worst, it felt a lot like someone snapping me with an elastic band, but on the cervix. Does that sort of make sense. No more painful than having blood taken, and you have been through lots of that.

However if you for any reason don't want this, I would say so. I have never, not once had it bring on labour. Each and every time it took at least another week, so I do feel like curry, sex, ect it only help to push you over if you are really just n the edge.

Good luck hun, don't stress about being overdue, it will happen, and you are doing a fantastic job coping.

xx
  • I had 3 sweeps before lo was born. One at 39wks, 40 and then 40.5wks. Wasn't sore just uncomfortable, like a smear test I suppose.

After 3rd smear hubby and I had sex, then I had a show, then hind waters went and on and off contractions until labour started and baby born.

I'll be honest and say that the 3rd smear was considerably more painful than 1st 2 so obviously that's why it worked.

If you're happy to wait then you should just say you don't want it. Might be best to wait until you're a little further on. S x

• I had several sweeps when I was induced to speed up my progress. The pain depends on the amount of tugging around they do in there. My final one was quite uncomfortable (lots of stretching) but had definite results. Speeded up my progress and had a lot of show almost straight away. So definitely can be worth a little pain. It was a bit like a smear but with more tugging around sensations. You will be pleased if you some pain after as that means things may be progressing! The more tugging the better! :\)Good luck.
  • I don't think I would have it done till I went overdue, I am due 31st August and would much prefer a September baby boy!

35+1

• i had it done when i was 3 days overdue with dd1 and didnt think it hurt at all.I went into labour 2 days later so dont know if it helped or not! good luck and try not to worry,by the way if you dont want it done you dont have to xx
  • Hi, I had a sweep on Monday at 40+2. Yeah it hurt but i got to practice my breathing for labour, ha ha! It doesnt last too long and im still bleeding a bit now and am a bit tender. I am a wuss, I hate pain but dont relish the thought of being induced cos that sounds much worse!! You can refuse it, its your choice. Nothing has happened to me yet. I am having reflexology at 8.30 tonight. That is suppose to soften the womb and the lady said it is a natural way of doing it. They will only do this if you are overdue. I will let you know if it works. If not im gonna have another go next week! My friend had a sweep with her first baby and she gave birth 2 days later so it must work on some first time mums. Hope this helps! xx
  • i was offered one monday just gone when i was 39 +6 as was thinking it would be best for baby to come in its own time and so said can i wait until next week when i am 40+6 and midwife was absoultely fine with this

guess if i make it back in on monday they will be talking about booking me an induction date- so whilst i don't want a sweep i don't want an induction more, so think i will be going with the sweep this coming monday if baby is not here already (fingers crossed he/she will be!)

xxx
  • i was offered one monday just gone when i was 39 +6 as was thinking it would be best for baby to come in its own time and so said can i wait until next week when i am 40+6 and midwife was absoultely fine with this

guess if i make it back in on monday they will be talking about booking me an induction date- so whilst i don't want a sweep i don't want an induction more, so think i will be going with the sweep this coming monday if baby is not here already 9fingers crossed he/she will be!)

xxx
  • I had a sweep at 40+3 and baby jack was born at 40+5, jack is my first baby so wasnt expecting it to work but it did, i so didnt want to be induced, my sweep didnt hurt and i didnt bleed either but she said i was dilating and she could feel babys head so that was a good sign, i had a show on wednesday and period like cramps but very long but also very random then later that night it all started! It definalty can move things along, my friend also had one and her cervix was high and hard but her baby was born the next day so definalty id say go for it, it doesnt last long only a few seconds and means u could meet ur baby girl very soon! good luck!

Jennie and Jack 12 weeks x
  • Girls thank you so much, hubby does not want me to have it done,thinks it would be a waste of time but to be honest at this point in time I will try anything to get things moving. I know I am not due till next thursday but the pain is gtoo much and also like most of you have said I really really do not want to be induced I want my home water birth so I think I am going to go for it image

Thanks for all your feedback image
    K xx
    38+6
  • Hey K! I had one at the exact same stage as you - within 12 hours I was having irregular contractions, within 36 hours my waters had broken, and within 48 hours Lily had arrived image

I can also say with hand on heart it did not hurt at all, no worse than a smear.

Not long, GOOD luck!
  • I have been told I can have one on my due date. I am terrified of pain and v squeamish at the thought of it but if it helps speed things along then it's worth a go. Got to get through labour so seems silly to be a wimp about a sweep!! (says the girl who almost bolts from the room at all blood tests/injections!)
    I'd rather at least give it a go then end up being really late, have to be induced and not be able to go to the birth centre.

My sis had it done and although she said it wasn't fun she didn't say it was terrible either...!

x 34+1
  • i had a sweep with my first at 41 weeks, i had it around dinner time and was in early stages of labour in the early hours of the next morning by 11am my contractions where 5 mins apart but didnt deliver him til 10.50pm, so i believe it worked for me x

MummyD

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/dY32p1.png

• Hey K-Lou I have just got back from the hospital after dreading the sweep and she couldnt even do it in the end! Damn it! My uterus is too high she couldnt even reach it. Baby isnt budging I am told not even a little bit so I have been booked in for Monday if nothing happens sooner. I was very nervous but the midwife was very reassuring and spoke to me about my fears before she started. Glad I tried anyhow. Good Luck! x
  • Its ok for your hubby to say that he isnt carrying the baby! lol i think go for it as u have nothing to loose if it doesnt work then fine but if it does then that would be ace. Remember u can have a sweep every other day, i was booked in for 2 sweeps but only needed the one, I was shocked when she offered me a second sweep but she said they offer more than one especially to people who wanna go to the birthing unit (i did) or are having a home birth so may be an idea asking for more if it doesnt work coz then hopefully u wont have to be induced and get your home birth!

good luck! xx
  • hey klou it will only have a chance of working if your cervix is favourable. Ask her to check that first and then do it then (if you want it done) . Absolutely no point having it done otherwise....and you would think Mws wouldnt bother doing it if cervix was not favourable..but they do! My sister in law's best friend is a MW and she told me it is their 'policy' to do it...xxx
  • I had two sweeps, one at 40+5 and then a second one at 41 weeks. The midwife said my cervix was favourable both times and that I was 3 cm dilated by the second one but they still didn't work and I was induced at 41+5. It was a very positive induction though and I had a great birthing experience. The first sweep was no worse than a smear but the second was a bit more uncomfortable, although over pretty quickly. Good luck! x
  • Thanks girls, it makes me feel so much better though to read that for some of you being first time mums it worked. I am not looking forward to it but I have reached a point now where I am in tears most days.

I have had really bad belly pains today and back ache, just in bed at 5:25 and then at 5:50 so started to get excited but they seems to have slowed right down and are coming like every 40 mins.

To be honest it just feels like I have an upset tummy which I did this morning but nothing since.

K xx
    39 weeks