Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Prob a really stupid question

Maybe I'm being completely ignorant here (!) but at what point do you start having internal exams? Or is it just in labour?

Sounds really stupid but I'm really not looking forward to being poked about with - labour is one thing but lots of other random poking isn't on my fun list!

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev264pb___.png

Replies

• the only internal exams I had other than in labour was when I asked a mw to perform a membrane sweep to try & bring on labour at 39 weeks.

In my last labour I only had 1 internal exam so it wasnt too bad.

Good luck xx
  • Thanks for your replies! I know I sound so stupid worrying about internals but I HATE THEM! Kinda want to be mentally prepared so I don't suddenly get told at a mw appt that I'm about to have one!!!

Just keep reading about ladies who are told about the cond of their cervix when they're not in labour yet and thinking yikes!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Hi I have had different experiences with all of my 3. I had to be induced with my 1st so had more internals (and a few for sweeps before the induction) which weren't pleasant.
    With my 2nd I only had one as I was fully dilated when I got to the hospital.
    My 3rd was obviously by far the best as I had a home water birth and a very experienced midwife who didn't examine me at all.
    Don't forget it is your choice to have an internal or not, some midwives do more than they need to so if you feel you are having too many you can refuse or if you are desperate to know how you are doing you will unfortunately have to put up with the discomfort. However ,as with the whole of labour, you just have to keep reminding yourself that you are going to meet your baby at the end of it. xx