Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Urine Infection or Pre-Eclampsia?

Hi ladies,

Just wanted your opinions..

i am 38 weeks pregnant, i had my 38 week app with the midwife on Monday just gone, she tested my urine which has been clear every single time its been tested up to now, but this time it had blood, nitrates, protein and leukocyte in it, midwife has put this in my notes...

Blood+++
Nitrates+++
Protein+++
Leukocyte+++

i take it all the plus's mean there's a lot... she took my BP which at first was 160/80!!! she said the monitor wasn't a reliable one so she did it again with a different one and it was 132/70, which for me is fairly normal, i've had the following BP's through my pregnancy:

8 weeks 150/80 & 140/70
16 weeks 135/80
25 weeks 130/70
28 weeks 135/70
31 weeks 130/70
34 weeks 125/74
36 weeks 120/70
38 weeks 160/80 & 132/70

i also have swollen fingers and slightly swollen feet, these all seem like signs of Pre-eclampsia to me, but i was diagnosed with a urine infection and prescribed anti-biotics, i know i have the symptoms of this in my urine, but i have no other symptoms of a UTI like pain when weeing etc..

im worried i may have PE and it's been over looked, i asked the midwife if she was sure i didn't have PE and she said the urine results were more typical of a UTI and that my BP wasn't that high but how does she know which of the two BP readings was right?

Im just a bit worried if i have PE and it's been over looked that it'll be dangerous to me.... i dont see the midwife again until 1st june which is my due date..

anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Michelle..x
38+3

Replies

• Hi i'm G/c from baby. Have you been suffering with headaches or blurred vision at all?
    Your bp does seem fine,i suffered from PE and my bp reached over 200 (bottom number!)
    If you are worried i would go and get you bp checked again if possible,just to put your mind at ease. HTH. xx
  • I've got a slight headache today, but i think thats because my house is so hot today! :/
    I also have slight blurred vision but i have bad eyesight anyway so my vision is always slightly blurry, so it's hard to tell! :/ x
  • as far as im aware 160/80 is one of the higher ranges of normal. anything over that and i think theyd be worried. i had BP of 172/80 at one appt, and that was 'higher side of normal' so dont worry about that too much. if ur worried, id ask to see a midwife to discuss it, that is what they are there for. id defo ring and ask after all, it could be nothing, but do u want to take that risk?! plus, u could pu tur BP up just worrying! get them rang and they can reassure you then. x
  • I had a UTI diagnosed at triage the other week, and had protein and white cells, and blood in my pee, I had no symptoms of it at all so was sceptical but sure enough the lab confirmed I did have a raging infection, so just as well they caught it! I think the blood is a strong infection sign too hon - apparently UTIs are often asymptomatic in pregnancy xxx
    T 33+1
  • Thanks hun, im sure they're right, im sure the midwives see these kinds of things all the time, so i should trust them really, i was just a bit worried cuz i don't see the midwife again now until my due date and if i did have PE no one would know i had it now, especially if baby arrived before my due date, that would mean i wouldn't see anyone again now till it's born :/ x
  • g/c from baby

I had pre-eclampsia, diagnosed at 35 weeks. The 3+ of protein and the fairly high blood pressure along with the swollen fingers and toes sound like pe but with pre-eclampsia you tend to swell up everywhere, face, arms, calves. Also its not always blurred vision but you can get floating black spots and lines. They probably will monitor you a bit more closely
  • That's the thing though, they dont wanna see me for two weeks, which will be my due date, so no one will be monitoring me or even checking to see if the. Anti biotics have cleared up the uti, if I have baby before my due date no one will see me at all :/
  • Hi can you call the day unit at your local maternity hospital and ask to be monitored for a bit? I was 38+2 when diagnosed with PE. I had 3+'s in my urine too. Not sure what my blood pressure was but think the bottom number was in the 80's. I agree with Rosapenny that you usually swell up all over. To be honest I didn't realise how swollen I was until after i had ds and I could see the bones in my ankles and feet again! If you can't get to the day unit is there any way you could make an appointment with your GP and explain your concerns and ask them to refer you to the hospital? I am sure the midwife is right but it might help to put your mind at ease!
    N x
  • Hi can you call the day unit at your local maternity hospital and ask to be monitored for a bit? I was 38+2 when diagnosed with PE. I had 3+'s in my urine too. Not sure what my blood pressure was but think the bottom number was in the 80's. I agree with Rosapenny that you usually swell up all over. To be honest I didn't realise how swollen I was until after i had ds and I could see the bones in my ankles and feet again! If you can't get to the day unit is there any way you could make an appointment with your GP and explain your concerns and ask them to refer you to the hospital? I am sure the midwife is right but it might help to put your mind at ease!
    N x