Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Washing baby clothes

Hi Ladies,

Need some advice please as this will be our first lo. I'm trying to get my hospital bag packed and have now sieved out what bits i want to take to the hospital for the baby.

My 1st question is do i wash everything? I know to obviously wash all the clothes etc but does it include booties, scratch mits, bibs, muslin clothes etc..

Secondly, do i need to use non bio to wash everything in? I've got 4 non bio fairy tabs that i got in my bounty bag that i'm gonna use to start off but wondered is it best to always use non bio as i do get sensitive skin and have had a pregnancy rash through this preg (prob due to excess hormones i know).

Finally, do i need to wash all the crib and cot bedding/blankets too including bumpers and top sheets if my lo will be on top in a sleeping bag? Do i wash the sleeping bags as lo will have clothes on underneath?

Sorry for the long post but i'm clueless and wanna get started so i can get it all dry.

Thanks ladies image

Replies

• Hello,
    I was told to wash everything in non bio. I used fairy tabs and softener and washed everything including mitts, booties, bedding and grobags.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks hun for your reply,

I'm just so clueless but want to do it all correctly whilst i've got the time. Its gonna be a mammoth task then so i better get started. Will invest in some more non bio stuff then.

Thanks xxx
  • hi hun, I would wash booties, hat, mits, bibs etc, everything that you use for baby from covers, clothes and towels I would wash in bio, I would wash bumpers and sleeping bags as well, hope this helps xx
  • I agree, definitely non-bio, and I've washed absolutely everything! lol xx

38 weeks today
  • hi g/c from baby

i use non bio for all our washing now we have ds, i used to use colourfast stuff, but as i tend to wash on a low temp (except whites) then colours don't run anyway, also figured if there is only one choice of detergent if OH miraculously decides to do some washing then he shldn't get confused and use the wrong one lol. plus we have washer drier to which the drier is pants so turn around on laundry loads is sllloooowwww, so means can wash ds stuff in with ours which means much less hassle if got various bits need washing but not enough to make a load on their own ifyswim? also i didn't wash the clothes pre baby as figured ds had just as much chance of having a reaction to the washing powder as to anything on the clothes and also if things didn't then fit if they still had labels etc on then wld be able to exchange for another size. however i did wash moses basket blankets and sheets, muslins etc, stuff i knew was going to be used and size didn't matter and definately anything that was second hand. if u are washing socks and mitts etc then u cld use one of those bags that u can use for wash tabs etc to stop the little tiny socks and bits going awol or getting stuck in the rim, put the socks and bits in side one of those net bags.

hth xx
  • I've also washed absoloutely everything and I used Fairy Non-Bio liquid with Comfort Pure softener. I love the way the stuff smells after, haha!

Rosalie 36+1
  • Hey ladies,

Thanks for the replies image

Siany, i understand what you mean about sizes and if they don't fit - thanks for making me think about this. Also, thanks for the tip on washing all the little socks etc in one of those net bags xxx
  • Thanks lmbnb,

Gonna wash the new blankets too so we can use these before bubba is big enough to go into a sleeping bag xxx
  • we only ever use non-bio as hubby has sensitive skin and comes out in a rash otherwise. my parents have also switched as occasionally they do our washing. we lived with them for a couple pof months while we waited for our house to complete and hubby came out ina terrible rasjh which spread all over, until we realised it was the washing powder.
  • Hi calleigh,

I have sensitive skin too, more so than ever through this preg but actually use bio washing powder at the mo as it doesn't seem to affect me that way. Will prob just swap to using non bio from now though as need to use it for the baby so we might as well all use it and keep things simple xxx
  • I have sleeping/gro bags 0-3 and 0-6 months. I will obviously make sure they are the right size. But have washed them in case baby can use them from birth. xx

38+1
  • hi Hun

I washed as much as I could in our normal Bio washng tabs and confort softener. Personally unless I noticed a reaction on my DS i will continue to use our usual washing detergent - makes me angry how much they charge for non-bio trying to make mothers feel guilty for not using it!

HTH
    Curly and Luca 22 days
  • I didn't wash anything that was new, won't for this LO either. I use Ariel bio Excel Gel and won't be switching to non bio either. I don't find it as effective, and using Ariel means I can carry on washing on cold. DD has never had any form of skin reaction, so I view the whole exercise as a bit of a waste of time, for us anyway.
  • I read that you didn't need to wash everything anymore? I know it makes sense to wash clothes that might run for example e.g. denim etc but read everything else was fine and was just a nonsense having to wash?
  • I washed pretty much everything, newborn size. The only thing i forgot to wash were bibs, but they've been done now.

With regard to sleeping bags, i have 2 but my son still can't use them, check the weights some start from 8lb and M&P from 10lbs. As my son was only 6lb 9.5oz born he still as a while to go until he can use them, even tho they are 0-6 and suitable from birth.
  • Thanks ladies for all your replies,

I have always thought the same about non bio being not as effective which is why we use bio. Just wanted to be sure that bio would be ok for lo's skin as obviously contains harsher chemicals although i'm ok with it and have sensitive skin.

I've started washing already now and have been using my freebie fairy non bio tabs just to be sure. Not sure now whether to go and buy some more or use my original stuff which is bold bio. I guess its personal prefernce and everyones lo's skin will be different.

Thanks again xxx
  • I don't think Bio necessarily contains 'harsher' chemicals - they contain biologically occurring enzymes (hence 'bio') which break down stains. Some people can have a reaction to these - we never has and our DD never did so I will carry on using bio unless LO has some mad reaction out of the blue to it.
  • im with mrs setters, i never washed anything with my son and i dont plan on doing it this time either.its just another thing to make you worry and feel like ur not the perfect parent.it all looks nicest when you put it on fresh without being washed first anyway.we use persil non-bio and comfort pure.xx
  • The only thing I have washed that is new is the grobags because the new packaging is just a cardboard sleeve rather than them coming in a packet so they can get covered in dust etc. Everything else came in plastic bags so I have not bothered washing them. I know they recommend your wash baby stuff at 60 degrees for the first few months if they have been sick or pooed on it.
    I have got non bio powder and fairy fabric softener, only because it was on offer but might keep getting it cuz everything smells really nice and feels really soft.
  • LMBNB i'm the same all my washing (except whites) is done at 15???? and 30???? and i don't have a problem with non bio getting stains out, i've never noticed any difference in regards to quality of washing as compared to bio and tbh i haven't noticed a price difference either. x