Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I HATE MY MOTHER!!!!

i honestly think i do, she is the most stubborn, ignorant, arrogant bitch i think ive ever come across. Everything thing that woman does in life is just to annoy me. we have literally only just made friends after a massive MASSIVE row a few months ago. over mine and my sisters kids. she invited us over for dinner today and has spent the whole day winding me up. Im going to call my son Burgess, i understand its not to everyones liking but so what its MY son. she is insisting that she is going to call him BOBBY! she drops it into every conversation like "ooooh is our little BOBBY kicking today" it drives me mad and she knows it does so i told her politely today she isnt allowed to call him that i didnt mind if she uses a pet name like baba or whatever but to use a completely different name is not nice it will confuse him. she saw her oppurtunity and launched into a full scale verabl assualt. saying i was apedantic bitch etc etc, see the thing is im just as fiery as her so when it goes off it goes off big. my pooor sister who is always caught in the middle managed to stop us screaming at each other and we both calmed down but she has still spent the day making the odd swipe. she was talking about how when she dies she's leaving the house to my sister and her husband because they rent at the minute. despite them both working full time in managerial positions and blowing there 50,000 grand joint income on smoking 40 fags a day each and buying xbox360's and nintendo wii's and cars. where as i was a single mother for 5 years on 8,000 and had the stupidity to buy my own house and be able to maintain without pissing all my wages up the wall.
i think she is being really unfair on me at the minute goading me into rows and stessing me out etc thing is i work with her and if i dont see her or exclude her from my life she makes a point of telling allmy colleagues that im being horrible and saying i wont let her see the new baby etc. ARRRRGGGHHHH :evil:

Replies

• Big hugs hun, she sounds like a real pain in the arse. I think the only thing you can do is try and ignore her as much as you can. As far as the name goes, have you thought about calling her by a different name to make a point? My neice is called Maja and my gran insists on pronouncing it Mia even though we have all told her over and over again that that is not her name. My dad took to calling my gran Bronder instead of Brenda and for a bit she did try and get Maja's name right!
  • Oh Hun, you're not alone...my mum is the same, I had to move out when I was 17yrs as I couldn't stand living with her anymore. We get on fine when we aren't living together & also now I'm grown up & taller than her I stand up for myself more - she likes to control everything & everyone. I finally told her to shut up & I do regularily now. She says they are going to leave all their money to the dogs home & I just reply 'what about the cats?' & 'why not just spend it on yourself?' I also tell her to be nice to me as I'm the only one of my siblings who still lives in the area, I joke that my eldest sister moved all the way to France to get away from her! The other moved to Leeds (we're in Cheshire).
    Don't let her know that you are bothered by the money thing, that's why she keeps saying it - It would always be nice to be given some money but I keep telling my dad to go and 'P$#?? it up the wall' & get a sports car as then it reduces any power they feel they may have over you.
    As for names - my mum came up with all weird ones...she keeps trying to get one of us to call a boy Demetrius...I named my LO Rawdon (inspired from 'Vanity Fair' book/film) & she pronounces it wrong (it's said how it's spelt!?) & she loves to tell everyone he's named after a drunk & a gambler (two faults of the character) but funniest is she sometimes says Gordon or Jordan - but we have done this too! lol!
    My sister who lives in Leeds likes to remind us that Rawdon is a place in yorkshire too! I still love the name though.

Isn't it funny how those who earn alot have the least money, your sister sounds like my sister in Leeds & her fella (although they don't smoke), they have to have the latest gadget!

My mum tells me how I should be designing my back garden, what I should be doing with windows, what furniture I should have (I sold some on eBay & she was like 'oh you let that go too cheap, you can get more for them, I would have got more, blah, blah, blah - I actually made money on the things I sold).
    I also give things away on freecycle (on the internet) & she is like 'you could have sold that!' & I'm like 'no I couldn't & if I could it would have cost me more than it's worth putting it on eBay' or 'I have already tried to sell it & failed!' - she won't chuck anything out & everything has a value even though it hasn't, I say she is verging on turning into that Polish guy who featured on 'life of grime'!

Just try & stand up to her & don't let her see that what she says hurts you & maybe she will shut up. Also, ask other friends/relatives if she is like that with them - my sisters & dad all had a chat & realised my mum is like that with us all!

My mother is currently not speaking to my dad or cooking for him as my sister took him to see the new Indiana Jones film - which she had been invited to too but turned down as she is a hermit - she is mental!

Learn to laugh at her - tell her how silly she sounds!

Hope things get better for you
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• lol I won't share my woes and take over your rant lol but my family drives me up the flipping wall! I have spent to day hinding in bed! avoiding the phone! lol

I don't know how to stop them and have no magic secrets but didn't want to read and run! as for the money issues I have family who use that as an attempt to control me too... (an uncle and an aunt both on my mothers side) and I just tell them they wont be dead for another 40 years or so and i'll be an old wrinkley by then anyways so they should just spend there money now - I tell him to spend it on women and booze! and her to just have dinner parties like hyasinth (sp) bucket - boque lol (she behaves like her anyways)

Just try to hold on to the fact that the nasties that come out toward you are about HER not you! Try not to rise to her comments because as you do it still gives her the desiered effect.. I know it might be hard if your very firey too...

the way I look at it is boy racers at traffic lights.. who reve there engines trying to race you.. I reve back and when the lights turn green I take as long as I can to leave the spot where as they race off as fast as they can.. you only end up meeting them at the next red light... lol how stupid to they look and you took your time and are the one who isint really bothered that the lights have stopped you... where as there all wound up about it! lol

I don't know if that makes sence like it does in my head.. I s'pose i'm just saying the stress that she gives you just give it back to her you don't have ownership over it... what diffrence is it in all honesty if you call your son Timbucktoo... it's just a name.. and with a little time all names sound 'normal'...

Don't let her spoil or taint the beautiful thing that is happening to you now!

xxx
  • Hi hun sorry to hear shes being such a cow! Burgess is a lovely name, its unusual but I like unusual names, calling him a completley different name just isnt nice. I dont really have any advice but to try and steer clear of her while your feeling so wound up about it all, your emotions are probably really close to the surface at the moment.
    My mums a bit like yours, except she has shown no interest in the baby or pregnancy so far. If I say its kicking she goes "do you have to tell me every time" which I dont, only when its kicking especially hard and I thought she might like to feel it, but obviously not lol. She also hates every name I like and says everything I choose is common. My older sister however is the golden girl and can do no wrong, so I just try to stay away from my mum on days when I'm feeling particularly upset.
    Hope things get better soon.
    xxx
  • oh hun family's are such hard work aren't they! it must be so awkward for you having to work with her too. have you thought that maybe your colleagues realise she's horrible to you, and don't believe what she says but just go along with it to humour her and avoid their own argument?? could be a possibility...
    i think the other ladies' ideas are great, call her some random name! and try and show her that you dont need the money (even if you do) cos then she might give up on it.
    and witty comebacks always make you feel good!
    hope you get through this without killing her - if you have to, apparently there's a law saying women are allowed to murder whilst in labour, so just wait and take her to the delivery room with you!! (i am joking obv)
    susie xxx
  • Thanks ladies, the thing is i DONT need the money she has been divorced 3 times and has now been single for over 10 years and has no interest in being with anyone EVER she is so sceptical about relationships and detests men. which is probably good cos i cannot imagine anyone putting up with her for more than a year or two without sticking there head in the oven. i have told her on more than one occasion that she should sell the house to one of these companies that provide an income so she doesnt have to stress and struggle financially and they take the house when she dies. but noooooo thats just me being silly. im going to try and avoid her as much as humanly possible. it hurts my sister when were like this but i must put myself first. not too bothered about colleagues and their opinions she treats work as a social network and is known for it and being a gossiper. plus i think im gonna start my maternity NOW!!! i love this site its like having a hundred nice mums to talk to and give you nice but sound advice. xxxxxxx
  • I hate my mother also

[Modified by: zee zee realize on June 08, 2008 11:47 PM]
  • Hun,
    Shes sounds like a bitter old bag, just remember you are a great mum and will never be like that.

I would do what you are doing, and try to stay away from her.
    I have a sister who is similar and i never see her, she now thinks she has a stake on my bump.... lol.
    Its not going to happen,

I hope everythink works out and gl!
  • arrgh i can sypathise with your feelings too. I barely have anything to do with my so called mother. She always compares myself with siblings and they are always doing something better, earn more money or something. She calls everyone and always has. She talks about people who are getting free things such as free houses, council tax paid etc etc when on benefits whilst all along she has been on benefits for past 15 years!! arghhhhh wish i could have normal parents!! oh and she absolutely revels in the fact when she knows something is not going great in my life so much to the point that i no longer tell her ANYTHING about my life. I tell her as little as possible. I suggest you do the same..it works for me hun, out of sight ...out of mind. LOts of luck with the baby xxx