Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

is this goodbye to sleep?!?!

Hi everyone! I had a terrrible nights sleep last night and the past few nights have been leading up to it...is it all downhill from now as far as the sleep departments goes? I am 22+4. I can't sleep on my front, I am not supposed to sleep on my back (although I did for a few weeks and it was great - but now it is not comfy!) I should sleep on my left side but it hurts my shoulder and when I turn over from my left side to my right side I have to slide onto my back first and then ease over to my right which takes ages and it is like a military operation so I don't hurt myself! when I eventually get on to my right side it is not comfortable but I manage to get to sleep - only to wake up on my back and feeling my tummy giving me strange sensations or the baby is moving!!!! maybe I should sleep in a tank with zero gravity then I could float about or be semi-standing on my head or anywhere else and get a good nights sleep without fear of hurting myself or baby....! sorry for rant but I am sleep deprived!!! this happen to anyone else?!?!?! X

[Modified by: miracleinme on 27 April 2007 10:34:59 ]

Replies

• I naturally sleep on my back and was having loads of problems. I now have a dreamgenii long pillow which has a bit that goes under your waist and wedges in the small of your back to support it and stop you rolling over. Look at wwwdotdreamgeniidotcom it's also available at Blooming marvellous. I love it, it's better than the long pillow and the V pillow I had last time round.
  • Hi Daska, I have one of those and it does not help me! I just can't take sleeping on my side anymore!!!! my shoulder just can't get into a comfy position. how far gone are you? X
  • 33+5 at the mo. How on earth do you sleep on your back with the pillow there?!?!?!? Sounds painful to me.
  • Is this goodbye to sleep?!?! YES!!!
  • I agree with Claire W. Yes it is goodbye to real sleep...

I am 35 weeks pregnant and lucky if I get 2 hours of unbroken sleep during the night, what with SPD and toilet trips...

:\(

• Same here Sam, SPD is shit, I hate it. And how come no-one's ever heard of it til you get it?? Grrr I can't wait to get this little critter out!
  • Hi Guys I've forgotten what a good nights sleep is. I'm 32+6 and knackered with all the toilet trips in the night. I don't have SPD but I've got carpal tunnel syndrome which is driving me nuts as I have to wear splints to bed at night (comfy). Luckily my hubby went out and bought us one of those memory foam matressess when we found out I was pregnant don't know how I would cope without it. Claire x
  • Hi Claire

MY SPD only arrived with a vengance 2 weeks ago and before pregnancy I'd never heard of it. My bones have started cracking when I turn over on bed, which is lovely. Poor hubby is copping for a load of stick, would feel sorry for him if I wasn't in so much pain.

Barnsey, we bought a new bed in Jan with a memory foam matress and it is a god send! Really supports my bump.

• Hi there
    I have a body pillow which I love. The Doctor told me you can sleep on your back as long as your head and upper body is elevated. I sleep on my side most of the night but get pains in my hip and leg so then resort to my back and have my head elevated which helps. Sleep as I remeber it has long gone and I am only 17 weeks !!!! I tend to grab a nap whenever I can to catch up.
    Good luck
    Hugs
    Tracey
    xxxxxx
  • i didn't buy a pregnancy pillow but rolled up an old duvet and wrap myself round that and it works wonders i've also got carpel tunnel, i can't even sit down for 5 minutes before i get pins and needles in my feet and my hands are like it nearly all the time now but hey only a couple of weeks left and we all know it will be worth it in the end.
  • Don't feel sorry for your husband!!! HE put you in this agony so he can deal with it!!!!! LOL I make sure mine does EVERYDAY!
  • yes!! i cannot sleep and need a rant too.... im so with u on this one! Im 29+2 and if i sleep on my back its so uncomfy (i dont think ur even supposed to do this) and theres no way i'd manage to sleep on my front not unless i was VERY good at doing a balancing sort of roll movement in my sleep!! and when i eventually arrange all the pillows around me to suit my new huge belly my oh nicks them and wakes me up!! also, i dont know if anybody else gets this.. i get a pain in my hips from staying on one side for too long? might be my mattress but im used to sleeping on my front as that is the best!! and just when u get settled the baby moves and kicks u in the bladder so u need to pee for the 10th time that night! sound familiar!!? ok rant over! me sleep deprived too in case u hadnt noticed xx
    take care ladies x
  • thanks for replies ladies! Daska - I have abandoned the pillow! but I am not sure I have the same one as you come to think of it....Barnesey and Samjones - the memory mattress sounds like a very good idea....!!
  • nah, the memory foam mattresses suck, believe me I have one. At first I though it was best thing since sliced bread - sorted out my bad back and I got better sleep than ever. BUT... then I got ill (and admittedly, I have ME which adds to the difficulty as one of my symptoms is muscle weakness) and what they don't tell you in the shop is that you can only use them if you're able-bodied because getting out of them is like climbing a mountain. Literally. You need to pee, you have to climb over all these pillows and you're hauling this enormous weight around?????? Add SPD or CPS or cramp and you're in shitloads of trouble - or a puddle...
  • Hello, i agree with Claire W too, i dont sleep for longer then half an hour at a time. Its totally crap!!!! I have a maternity pillow 5ft one & it was good for the 1st couple days when i was about 21 weeks but now nothing helps. I got SPD too & thats crap too!!!! My o/h gave me a deep massage today & even though it was agony it really did help for about half an hour or even an hour & that was a godsend!!!! Other then that i think i will have to suffer til baby is here! Physio said its only gonna get worse & even though that sounds terrible im glad he didnt bullshit me with lies! So less then 12 wks to go. yey***
  • How am I going to cope?!?!?! well, only 7 weeks of work to go then afternoon naps rule!!
  • I normally sleep on my tummy but thats out now!! Now I sleep on my right side with a folded pillow between my legs image I dont sleep to badly so by the sounds of it I'm lucky!! only 5 weeks to go!!!
  • At the risk of sounding like an advert... The dreamgenii pillow that I referred to earlier is a long slightly curved pillow that supports your bump and extends to go between your knees. At the 'top' end of the pillow theres an extra 'flat' bit that comes out at a right angle to the long pillow and at the end of the flat bit there's another small pillow. The 'flat' bit goes under your waist and the small pillow supports the small of your back. What this all means is that you're sort of held in position, you can't roll over onto your back fully. I got mine from Blooming Marvellous, it's been fabulous for me and I couldn't do without it now.
  • Daska - I am so glad that you mentioned that in such great detail! I remember seeing a strange looking pillow in a magazine and I could not remember which mag or website it was - I did think that it looked promising for a good nite's sleep but I could not locate it again!!!! I may get one of those - I will try anything! do you get any discomfort with being held in one position through the night, every night?
  • Hey.. all I can say is ive been in bed for the last 3 hours now trying to 'catch up' on blasted sleep!....

Not managed it so far so grabbed my laptop!

im into my 32nd week and must admit it is getting harder and harder to have any sort of good sleep. Im seriously struggling with going to work full time now so looking forward to leaving.

This may souns stupid but why is it bad to sleep on your back when pregnant?