Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Are cysts serious when pregnant?

Hi ladies
I am 10+4 and for the past week I have had a sharp stabbing pain in my left side, which gets worse when I cough, sneeze or take a deep breath. I called the EPU today who said I may have a cyst?

I have to go in for a scan on Thursday morning, they wanted to see me sooner and they were going to put me in as an emergency however she said that they were really busy today and tom with women who have been bleeding so I was happy to wait till thurs as I haven't had anything like that. I suppose I'm worried now because I was looking for advice on what it could be, and the last time they said they wanted to check me over, I had miscarried.
Can I still have a healthy pregnancy if it is a cyst? I was thinking it feels a bit like a cracked rib, but I have been so lazy over Christmas, how could I have cracked a rib! I have been sneezing a lot I suppose.

Has anyone else been getting any odd pains or been told they have a cyst? I didnt want to check the net because I would prob just scare myself image

Thanks girls
Mel x

Replies

• Options
    Could it be round ligament pain? I've had sharp stabbing pains that are worse when I cough or sneeze and even when I move in bed etc.

Have a look on Google and see if it sounds like you... If it is, it's normal and nothing to worry about...

GFE xx
  • Options
    hey hun
    I had a lot of pain around 9 weeks and went for a scan I have a3 x3cm cyst in my womb but they said its quite common in pregnacyy they will keep an eye it but im 18 weeks and all is fine with baby. good luck x
  • Options
    Hi Mel. I've had some stitch like pains if I get up quickly, sneeze, etc. I do also have a cyst on my left ovary that was picked up in my early scans. They are actually really common. They can cause a problem if they twist. If that happens, they can be operated on. Hope it all goes well on Thurs.

K 25+3 x
  • Options
    Like KayeCee I had a cyst on my left ovary that caused some pain in the early days. I was scanned at 22 weeks and it had completely resolved itself, it didn't cause any problems. They tend to leave them alone unless they are huge, or cause problems, both of which are really rare.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your replies, I hadn't heard of round ligament pain but I have googled it and it could be this too, hopefully I will find out more tomorrow, Its quite bad today, I am sitting with my hand on my side constantly to stop the pain when I breathe in, it's mad.
    Thanks again ladies, I feel a lot better now
    Mel x