Forum home› Pregnancy› Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Rasperry Leaf Tea. Any experience (Good Experience)

Hi heard Rasperry Leaf Tea is great for softening the Cervix, and makes the 2nd stage of Labour quicker and easier. Any experience of this?? I have purchased a box today form Holland and Barrett.

Carmel

Replies

• Options
    Tried raspberry leaf tea with my first pregnancy started taking them at 36weeks. I don't think it help with labour but it did help following as my womb had returned to pre preganacy state in 3days instead of the usual 10, so the recovery period was quicker. Will be taking them again this time round, hope that helps x
  • Options
    I've just started taking these- I think I posted a similar topic several weeks ago and have to say I didnt have one negative response x
  • Options
    Hi
    They DO NOT soften cervix, they only help tone your uterus and make it 'more effective' in pushing your baby out with contratractions and help shrink it back to normal after delivery.

There are SO many people who think taking them will bring on labour! they dont!

if you want help softening the cervix, evening primrose oil capsules taken as well do this. (the 1000mg high strength ones) and if you do some research on them, you may read that people have put them 'up' themselves (!!! totally bonkers if you ask me) dont bother, they have been very effective for me wih both babies just taking them normally with water like the Raspberry leaf capsules.
    You're better off with the capsules and saves making and drinking tea all the time.

I took from 36 for last two pregnancies and both labour were roughly 6 hours, first four hours no pain but got to 10 cm quite quickly and pushing stage was very short (15 mins for second baby)

Good luck! I'll be taking them again for this pregnancy as well so I'll be off to holland and barrett again in a month
    x

• Options
    I am under the impression that the RLT is for making your womb contract more effectively, therefore speeding up the seciond stage of labour and helping it contract back down after labour. I am starting it from 32 weeks and gradually increasing as the weeks go on.

I also have arnica 30 tabets to take after birth to help with bruising or anything afterwards.

evening primrose oil helps to soften your cervix and can be ingested or a capsule can be inserted at night. I was told this was from 36 weeks.
  • Options
    hi, i used these last time. not sure if they worked but i did have a very staright forward and "good" labour so will be taking them again this time round.xxxx
  • Options
    The tablets are easier than the tea which I think is a faff and tasted minging!!!!

I took them from 36 weeks and my second stage was 20mins on a 1st preg, I had gas and air and felt that my body was doing all the work as opposed to actually having to push.

Hth xx
  • Options
    I used these with my 2nd and 2nd stage was definatly quicker and much easier (though how much that had to do with being no2 I don't know.) I also didn't tear this time and everything shrunk back really quickly (by day 3).
  • Options
    Hi, I took them with DS and had a very fast natural labour (3hours 36), but I don't know how much that was down to him being overdue, or genes or the raspberry leaf! Everything also shrunk back very fast too..although as he was my first I have nothing to compare it to!x
  • Options
    I took Raspberry leaf tablets and drank the tea with my daughter and had a very quick labour, no tearing and mangaged on gas and air! I will be taking them this time too from 34 weeks....so 10 weeks time!

I have found this which is an interesting read!

http://www.pregnancy.com.au/resources/topics-of-interest/pregnancy/raspberry-leaf.shtml

xxx
  • Options
    miniday that happened to me, my body seemed to do the pushng for me whcih made the second stage much easier.xxx
  • Options
    I drank the tea last time too. Not sure it did much for me - labour was 11 hrs, pushed for an hr, nothing happened so got rushed to theatre and it took episiotomy and forceps to get ds out.
    Who knows, might have taken longer without the tea though? I'll never know! Undecided whether i'll take it this time or not.
  • Options
    Damn - only just started taking it at 37+4...hope it's not too late.
    May as well keep taking it though, seems to have really positive results, listening to all you ladies who have tried and tested it!
    xx