Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

nightdress for labour....

Hi girls
Just wondered what you are all doing for a nightdress for labour? I'm hoping for a water birth at the midwife centre but obviously want to be prepared if I can't have it.

I don't want to spend a fortune, shall I just go primark and go up a few sizes?
Is there anything I need to be aware of, i.e. length, does up at front/back, buttons? I'm really struggling and am hoping to have my bag packed in about 4 or so weeks.

Thanks for your help
Em
27 weeks today - YIPPEE!!! xxx

Replies

• Hi Em
    I went to Asda and got a pack of 2 nigties (size 18-20!!) and they cost me ??5 for the pair. They are just cotton strappy nighties. Then I went to Mothercare and got a pack of 2 breast feeding nighties (poopers up the top) to wear back on the ward.
    Hope that helps!
    WW
    xXx
    35 weeks today!
  • WW
    Thats great, thank you. I'll do that! I will be chucking them in the bin straight after anyway!
    xxx
  • Ask for a hospital gown. It will get covered in blood and goop and sweat, and you'll only end up binning it!

Get some cheapies with easy boob access for back on the ward, you'll probably want to bin those afterwards too! Also, paper knickers are minging, get some really cheap substantial (you know, the full brief kidney warmer style) in a size or two bigger than your pre pregnancy size, with plenty of elastic. Then bin those afterwards too!
  • i agree with MrsSetters when i had my first lo i bought new ones for going back on the ward and used one of my dads old t-shirts for labour but i was sick during labour so ended up in one of there gowns anyway once your in labour and contractions are coming thick n fast you wont care what your wearing lol and 'Bridget Jones pants' are a must have too lol

MummyD

33+6

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/dY32p1.png

• I got my cheapies from Matalan, only ??4 each and fastening down the front xxx
  • I wore a Mothercare nursing nightie that opens at the front, as it was what I was wearing when I went into labour at night. I then was able to pop baby down the front of my nightie as soon as she was born, and we had skin to skin without me being naked or cold!

Cate
  • Hi hun

I went to Primark and bought a cheap nightie in a size 20 and some "big pants" - all really cheap and will just bin afterwards.

Rach
    26+2
    xx
  • Thanks girls, I think i'm thinking too much about it!!! Thanks again.xxx
  • I've brought a cheapie from Primark as like someone said it will get messy so will be binned after labour. Also if you end up in labour room and not in pool as planned (hope it goes to plan) also think about if your bf etc as an open buttoned nightie would be better i assume.
  • I bought about 5 Primark jobs a few sizes up from my usual pre-preg size which I wore for bed a few weeks before the birth, during labour, and for a few months afterwards. Not the most attractive things but comfy and practical. They were good for bf too.

Mine went to just below the knee; some had buttons all the way down and some buttoned down to my tummy.
  • my first pregnancy daniel was 5wks early and i hadnt packed my hospital bag but when they popped my waters (my waters were leaking and when i got checked out at the hospital i was 3-4cm dialated so they said if i hadnt gone in to labour at 8:30pm they would do it for me) anyway when they were getting me ready they put me in one of there hospital gowns as i was waiting for oh as he was working out of town

my second pregnancy i had my bag packed at 30wks and packed a massive t-shirt in,my waters broke when i was 31wks,i was having twins and again they never asked me if i had brought anything they just put one of there gowns on

sarah
  • i would def recommend getting a couple of the ones from matalan that have buttons all the way down as i had these with my DD and they were fab for BF afterwards if you are going to feed afterwards xx
  • with dd i bought a couple of long tshirts from primark forward labour and then a nice set from mothercare to change into afterwards. i also bought a pajamas set with two different tops (you might need More than one top when your milk comes in due to leakage!) and straps that undid for breast feeding. i ended up spending three days in hospital as lo had trouble feeding x
  • I got nighties packed and pjamas for after cause it can get cool at night, and if u got stay in hospital for any reason you are covered up a bit and make sure u pack a bra and breast pads and pleanty of big knickers!! i recomend packing as if u are staying for a few days cause u coverd for any out come then I learned this from my 1st birth I was in for nearly a week!! and now im waitin for my 2nd to come iv got 3 weeks left and had my bag done since I was 30 weeks!!!

• I had an old tshirt of my husbands on at the start,I couldn't tell you what I was actually wearing when I gave birth,I was sick,had my water's broken and goodness knows before that point.I was advised though that if you're going for a water birth just wear a dark coloured vest or a tankini top if you are self conscious,as a nightie when soaking wet will just look see through.

Chances of you being self conscious by the time it comes to delivery are slim to none though!!
  • Sorry just realised the nightie is for if you don't get your water birth-cheapie button up from primark or old t shirt for birth as others have said!