Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Early scan

Hi Ladies,

I found out I was preg 2 weeks ago- am slightly confused as to how may weeks preg I am! Doc gave me due date of 3 June, and I have had a look on various web sites which give me same date, although web sites indicate I would be 7 week on Monday ( last P was 27 Aug) however doc says I am only 5.5 weeks!??

I had some bleeding, around the time I found out I was pregnant, and this continued as spotting for about a week, due to this the doc wants to send me for an early scan next week. I have not had any bleeding for over a week, but he wants to check all is well.

Thing is, I am not really sure what to expect!? Can anyone shed any light on what happens, and what you can see? I am quite nervous, as I have read it is more likely to have a missed miscarriage if you are rhs neg, which I am.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I didn't get much sleep last night.

C xx

Replies

• Hi there

If your experience is the same as mine, they will give you an internal scan to check that they can see sac and yolk in your womb. They may or may not at that stage be able to see heart beat - might be too early. I found the experience ok - nothing like having a smear and being able to see life at such an early stage is a lovely reassurance. At 6 weeks for one of mine all I was able to see was a dark circle (sac) with a while blob (yolk) but for another (this one) I was able to see a very clear heartbeat.

As for your dates, they usually count your weeks from the first day of your last period (usually approx 2 weeks prior to conception) So while they say you are 6 weeks pregnant, baby has actually only been growing for 4. That's the way I understand it anyway.

Hope this is what you were asking for and good luck with the scan.

G x