Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Soooo Hot!!!

Hi
Just a quick question for you and hoping to have some answers for tomorrow.
It is sooo hot and i'm sure everyone really suffering. I worki in Nursery with children and we've had them outside all day both today and yesterday, lovely for them BUT not for me as i'm so hot! I just want to know would i be well within my rights to refuse to work outside on grounds of health and safety for me, as when i get home it takes ages to cool down, i have headache and tonight i felt bit sick just after left work so worry maybe getting heatstroke or summit!! Indooors i can work with fan on! PLeas help any of you!!!
23+5 xxxx :x

Replies

• Hi
    I've got a pregnancy magazine (I'm pregnant - that's the magazine I'm not just bragging!! ha ha!!) and its got a section for your health and safety rights that says:
    "If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have given birth in the last 6 months you employer must make sure that the kind of work you do and your working conditions will not put you or your baby's health at risk. You must notify your employer in writing that you are pregnant or have recently given birth or are breastfeeding to get the full benefit of legal action"
    So, yes is the answer I'd say! You can refuse but your work shouldn't really put you in that position in the first place. I'd talk your manager or someone about it and say that you're just too hot plus there's a higher risk of sunburn when pregnant and then hopefully they'll do something and if they don't you can tell them its the law!
    Good luck, hope that helps.
    xx
    16 weeks today.
  • Ohh thanks for that quick reply which magazine is that in so i can show it to manager tomorro as i know i'll end up getting in a debate about this all i want is nice and stress free 8 weeks (all i left i hope) at work lol!! As yesterday i told them i sooo hot and need fan they didn't have 1 so i said i'd bring my own today she ok with that! But as i'm outside the fan is not actually giving me any benefit!!! xxx
  • It was in 'I'm pregnant'. Its a thick magazine and is ??4.99 but there's a lot in it. This was in the April/May/June additiona so its probably still on sale but to be honest because its such a thick magazine I think any addition of it has the section for your working rights.
    If you've got any leaflets from your midwife or any pregnancy books there might be something in there about it too, It will probably be in a section about when to tell your employer that you're pregnant and that sort of thing.
    Hope your work get a bit more understanding because they should be!
    xx
  • Ohh thanks again i'm just so desperate think i have got the jan/feb/mar edition of that so shall have a lok and will be going armed tomorro! I may just exaggerate and say i was very sick tonight or is that bad? My workplace is the least understanding of places unfortunately so i have to grin and bear it xx
  • Yeah, have a look in your mag as its probably got it in there, it was on page 76. In the contents page it was in the section called 'coping with work' and then 'what are your rights'.
    Its up to you if you want to tell a little white lie or not, it depends if you're really fed up with work or not. Personally, I'm not very good at lieing (tend to go red!!!) so I would perhaps try showing them the article and saying that its making you feel very unwell being so hot and you've been feeling light headed when you get too hot. It really is hot at the moment so its ridiculous to send you all outside!
    Good luck
    xx