Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone had problems with their teeth?

Hi. I woke up about 3am with horrendous tooth ache and a banging head to go with it. I've got a dental appointment in an hour but i'm really concerned. I've just gone 2 brush my teeth and my gums are bleeding. Anyone had anything similar? One of my back teeth also really hurts, can they treat me whilst i'm pregnant? What if i've got some sort of gum disease? Sorry for all the questions. Lisa 14+5 x

Replies

• bleeding gums are a common side effect of pregnancy due to the extra blood flowing in your body, your gums may get swollen and bleed more regularly. (I dont think there is anything that doesnt leak suring pregnancy!!!) I havent had problems with my teeth so far touch wood but my sil has 4 children and claims she lost a tooth with each one. Make sure to get plenty of calcium as the baby will be taking alot from you.

Lisa xxx
  • My friend at work told me her Mums teeth went black when she was pregnant as the baby was taking all of her goodness and they had to be taken out - nice!

xx
  • i aint had tooth ach touch wood but my gums keep bleeding since i got pregnant.x
  • i have had tooth ache for 3 days had emergency filling yesterday cus they thought thats what the problem was but nope im still in agony think i have an abcess. they will do treatment when your pregnant but dont expect ant decent painkillers i was told to take paracetemol the only reason your allowed them when pregnant is cus they dont flippin work lol
    xx
  • sxychick- how right you are re paracetamol!!!

I have noticed some bleeding gums. Am going to find dentist and register ( i know its naughty im not alrady ) and get it checked. think it is normal though x
  • i had a tooth infection through my 1st pregnancy in my wisdom tooth i was in agony and hated my pregnancy! i spent the entire 9 months on anti biotics to help with the pain but cudnt have any painkillers as such apart from paracetamol and they dont touch it! when brooke was about 4 weeks old i went and had my wisdom teeth out and it was the best feeling in the world! i spend nights screaming in pain and punching things coz it hurt so much! hope urs gets better hun! xx
  • Hi. Thanks for all the advice girls. I'm back from the dentist. He was a bit brutal. Said i have an infection and an absess. Never had any problems before! Prescribed me low dose anti biotics and said there is little else they can do as i'm pregnant. Will just hope it goes and keep on with paracetamol. Rubbish-i'm in agony. Lisa 14+5
  • i know how u feel hun, i just hope urs clears up mine was so knackered it needed to come out so they cud only keep giving me anti bitotics which wud clear it for a week then wud get it back again.. fingers crossed urs stays away. tooth ache has to be the worst pain there is! if u can do this u can do labour easy! lol x
  • I hope it clears up to. i'm such a wimp-just had a cry to hubby. Why cant they give u something stronger when ur pregnant? Its not fair. Can they take a tooth out when ur pregnant? Dentist did mumble something about might needing something done. Lisa 14+5
  • Hi MrsN I am gate crashing from ttc!!! My mum had bad tooth ache when she was pg with me and she was advised to take extra calcium as I was taking a lot of hers making her teeth weaker. just thought it could be something to try!!! hope it gets better hun!!! xxx
  • i think they cud take it out but wud be painful! coz no anasthetic or anything!! i cudnt do it! hate pain! my hubby said cud have the pain for a few mins then none but i cudnt bring myself to do it
  • So is it ok to take calcium suppliments when pregnant? I really cant increase milk it makes me sick and always has. Thanks for the advice. Lisa 14+5 x
  • my teeth were lovely and white before i got pregnant, now im trying not to smile coz they have gone yellowy even though i have had them cleaned twice by the dentist!

dentist prescribed me Corosdyl for my gums but not sure what to do about getting my teeth looking like normal, other than bleaching it which i doint wanna do coz it sounds a bit rough!!

got toothatch as well but i find cloves and clove oil really do the trick so havent taken any paracetamol for them.

anyhow hope everyones teeth get back to normal after the birth, gonna need them for all those mum and new baby pics!!! image

xx
  • So is it ok to take calcium suppliments when pregnant? I really cant increase milk it makes me sick and always has. Thanks for the advice. Lisa 14+5 x
  • I am not sure hun I should think so I will look on the net now!!! Ill be back lol!!!!
    xxx
  • heres one that says its ok not teeth related tho
    http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/health_news/170306calciumpregnancy.html

this is from baby centre website
    Calcium
    Your baby needs a good supply of calcium during pregnancy to make healthy teeth and bones. One review of trials found that taking calcium supplements during pregnancy was a safe and cheap way of reducing the risk of pre-eclampsia. However this effect has only been shown in women from developing countries who have a calcium-deficient diet. If you live in the UK, you are unlikely to be low in calcium, unless you have a dairy allergy.

heres another
    http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/159_9472.asp

hope they help!!!
    xxx

• oh no ive been throught 2 bottles already!!!! image

that explains it...im sad now, they better get back to normal or im gonna cry

also i noticed when the dentist cleaned them last time, i came out with slight gaps in between my teeth which werent there before

ah well at least they aint black i suppose
  • oh no ive been through 2 bottles of corosydyl already!!!! image

that explains it...im sad now, they better get back to normal or im gonna cry

also i noticed when the dentist cleaned them last time, i came out with slight gaps in between my teeth which werent there before

ah well at least they aint black i suppose
  • I've been given that mouth wash too. Only used it once so far-it tastes awful. I have little dairy in my diet so may ask gp today if ok to take suppliments. Like you rach there is no way i can have a tooth out without anesthetic! I'd probably cry. Didn't realise it was a common problem. Hope it gets better for everyone. And least its free dental care for 12months after baby is born so can sort boy major problems out! Lisa 14+6