Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Deciding what sex baby is....

2»

Replies

• Options
    hi ya mate...

I know what you mean about lengths of appointments... during my last 2 pregnancies it started off at every 4 weeks, then every 3 then every other then in the last month it was every week.. what made it worse is that I had told her about the pains that I have been having and she said it sounds like I may have spd (doing a new thread about this) and we need to keep eye on it.. well surley that should mean that I should be seen before then...lol..

How are you doing x
  • Options
    Yeah its crazy isn't it. I saw my mw at 28+6, had my anti-d injection and blood taken and she doesn't want to see me for 4 weeks!!! Crazy!!! then after that it jumps to every 2 weeks. They haven't even talked about anything to do with birth or anything and the only reason I'm starting my antenatal classes next week is because I rang and chased them up and told them that december was far too late to start (I'm due on 28th dec!). Just cause they know what happens doesn't mean I do and I'd like to get planning stuff nice and early!!

Surely if you have possible spd then you need seeing!!! Still - you can always make extra appointments..right? I told my mw I was getting bad carpal tunnel syndrome off and on (i've had it before) and I wanted to see someone about it - I want decent splints prescribing for me - I don't see why I should have to pay if I can get them for free... and she just told me not to bother unless it got really bad!!! The only reason she referred me to the physio was because my knee is bad too...and I don't want walking to get difficult..but I had to push for it! Its stupid if they expect you to be in horrible pain before they will do anything!

Other than the knee causing m problems I'm mostly fine.. just tired.. and I think I'm coming down with a bug - but baby is wiggling like crazy at the moment and he put on a good show for us when we had a 4d scan on Saturday image

How are you doing?
  • Options
    The length of appointments in the west midlands isn't too bad. I saw my midwife at 10 weeks, and will again at 16 weeks, then there's the 20-week scan. I didn't have a 12-wk scan :cry: I had one at 9 weeks due to early bleeding and they said everything was fine so I wouldn't need a 12-wk scan. I was gutted as I'd already had the date for it, I thought at least they would let me keep the appt!

I have heard if you do not 'bloom' during pregnancy and are really sick then it's a girl. I think my baby is a girl, just to be annoying as me and my partner can't agree on a girls name!!!
  • Options
    Hi,

My lo's heart rate was about 140 (at rest) up to 156ish (when jiggling around!).

I had a girl!!!

Looked into this and it has been scientifically displroved as a viable was of telling if you are having a boy or girl...fun though.

As for midwife...ask to see her earlier if you need. I really think there is a lot of added pressure and a higher expectaion placed upon 2nd + time mothers to "know already".

I have just had my 2nd dd, 6 years on from my first too so I know how you feel. Speak up!

N.x
  • Options
    Thats not too bad for appointments Tiger Lily - I saw the mw at 8 weeks to register, and she booked the 12 week scan...cause I'd had an early scan she nearly wouldn't let me go for one but I must have looked panicked cause she booked it in the end. Then there was a 12 week booking in appointment (they insisted on coming to my house...such a pain in the arse!!) and then they said they didn't want to see me till after the 20 week scan!!! I did go for an appt at 16 weeks anyway though cause they said I could if I wanted reassurance and it was a good job I did because half my blood tests had clotted and had to be redone. Then in between 20-29 weeks I've had 3 appointments - mainly 3 cause I had to bring one forwards for my anti-d injections (didn't find out my blood group till 25 weeks!!). 4 weeks just seems like an awful long time to wait - baby doing a lot of growing between 29 and 33 weeks...but we had the 4d scan last week so I'm not worried - he's doing fine, the cord isn't round his neck and they said everything was normal, plus I have my doppler so I can listen to him myself (its definately easier now he's not moving so much!)

I've heard that about girls and not blooming - dunno if its true or not.. I'm not so sure I'm blooming but my skin has cleared up from pre-pregnancy..does that count? My friend was sick with both her boy and girl.. but she says she had weepy fits with her girl and rage fits with her boy!!

We found girl names easier than boy names - had a huge list of girl names we liked and a tiny list of boy names - but we did manage to agree on a favourite girl and boy name quite easily even though some of the names in teh baby name book scared hubby with how weird they were!

Nancy is right - see the mw if you need to... thats what they are there for!! I'd want just as much care with a second baby... jsut because you might know what to expect doesn't mean you don't need the reassurance that you are ok..
  • Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your suport...

Yes it is fun trying to guess what you are having, I keep refering to bump as blue as partner keeps refering to it as pink.. although part of me wouldnt mind being yellow...lol... oh well only 3 weeks and 5 days till I have 23 week scan!

I will def be making appointment to see mw if needed and tempted to go just to be a pain..lol... I did say to her that I wasnt impresed that she didnt tell me she was only at my surgery every other week..... ( i live in a village), but she was happy at next appointment being 10 weeks time even though I said I felt more anxous this time round.. dont know why.. panicked other day as realised I still havent felt the butterflies yet and thought the worst and then during appointment she couldnt find a heartbeat... I was trying not to cry but after about 2 minutes, although it seemed longer, she found one... still no movement though..

As for the suspected spd... she just said see how it goes and as I was already under a physio for a back problem she just told me to discuss it with physio.. my next appointment is 5th november.... think it was just a way of getting me out the room...

As for not having a scan at 12 weeks.. we have to have one here.. between 10 and 13 weeks for a something test.. begins with n.. will have a look in noted and let you know what it is....

Kia... 28th is my mums birthday...lol... what exactly happens at antenatel classes as I never went with other 2 and dont know whether to go or not....

Lisa x

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev083prs__.png

• Options
    the nuchal fold test lisa - is that the one you mean? we'd have had to pay for that one if we'd wanted it - but we decided not to.

No idea what happens at antenatal classes...ask me next wednesday evening!! We have 4 that they call parentcraft classes- apparently they include labour positions and a tour of the ward, dunno what else, then there is the physio and massage class but I have no idea what physio they can teach us, then there is the breatsfeeding workshop. Thats the only one I can't get in an evening but I don't think my boss will argue cause he won't want to know the details! lol!

I guess 10 weeks would take you till when your next blood tests are due...but its still a hell of a long gap!! If it were me I'd be going at least once if not twice just for reassurance. My mw told me they werent allowed to book appts between the 12 and 20 week ones due to nhs guidelines but we could come in if we wanted.

lilac aura - 3 weekly appointments! Thats crazy! At least I know once I hit 33 weeks I have 2 weekly appointments although I'd hope that around due date time that will go down to weekly!! I have a feeling my mw will hate me if I'm not seen enough cause I'll just make appointments anyway!
  • Options
    thats the one...lol... I was lucky and didnt have to pay.. All it done was to take my age and the fluid behind the neck to test for downs and then it gives you readings before and after the results of the scan...

just looking in my notes my appointments usual tests mean bp, urine sfh, are as follows:
    B$ 12 weeks booking in etc.... (I had this at 13 weeks, my mw made appointment to come to my house but cancelled.. said she was too tired as she had been up all night at a home birth.. later that day I found out she actually did a antenatel clinic... thens he was coming a different day...didnt show.. in end I had to go and see her in the hospital)

10 - 13 downs screening scan ( i had this at 13 weeks)

16 weeks - results of screening tests discussions of pre eclampsia and injections if r neg....

20 - 23 weeks - anomaly scan

25 weeks usual bp urine etc, but only if 1st pregnancy

31 weeks - usual tests but only if 1st pregnancy

34 weeks - usual tests, breast feeding info a neg injections

36 weeks - usual tests, labour choices, place of birth etc

38 weeks - usual tests

40 weeks - if 1st pregnancy

41 ususal tests membrane sweep, induction

42 weeks usual tests..

xxx
  • Options
    lmao @tigertfeet hilarious response well done you! i was always told boys were more forward than girls image who knows if these fishwife tales are true or not
    http://bd.lilypie.com/ZppDp1/.png

• Options
    Hi there,
    I have just had my third baby (a girl). With my first two (boys), I carried all round, but this time I only carried out front and didn't put on much weight. I was also very sick all day long until about 18 weeks. My linea nigra was all the way up my tummy! and the heartbeat was definately faster than 140 as I had quite a lot of monitoring. At my scan, the sonographer thought it was a girl because of the 'three lines' which indicates a female. Hope this helps!! Good luck! Anne-Marie x

[Modified by: anniem2 on October 25, 2007 09:36 PM]
  • Options
    Hi anniem2 yes it makes sense... with my son I carried al round and put on loads of weight, with my daughter i carried out front and although I put weight on, it was a lot... with both I was sick... Not sure but think I ma carrying out front this time, although a bit hard to tell at the minute and thankfully the fluctuation of losing half a stone then putting it back on and losing it again has now subsided and now its just lose a few pounds add a few pounds lose it again... not sure I know what you mean about the 3 lines though image

But thanks for your advice x x
  • Options
    Well after weeks of thinking I maybe having a boy, something snapped inside when I woke up the other day and I think its a girl... scan getting closer about 3 more weeks to go image

Hi Kia, its wednesday and although a little early I still thought I would ask about antenatel classes as dont know if I will get back on later, still trying to build lego my son got yesterday for his birthday!!! Hope it went well x x x