Sensitve subject - not pg related

My 4 yr old ds has to be circumcised as his foreskin is too tight and causes him pain.

Has anyone had any experience of this procedure (obviously not themselves!!!) I want to be able to prepare him properly for it cos he's a bit of a worrier.

I'm really nervous as well as this will be the first time I've had to take a child of mine for surgical stuff since my daughter died 3 years ago (she spent much of her life in hospital and had over 700 operations so it brings back horrible memories)

If I'm prepared for what is likely to happen I think it will probably help me as much as my ds, for example, how do they put them under - is it gas or injection? Will he have a pre-med?

Any advice would be really welcome.

So sorry for the depressing nature of the email and I hope no one is offended.

Karenxx

• I dont know much about this but didnt want to read and run. Sorry about your daughter. I would assume that they would use a general aneasthetic via an injection in your hand. It would be best to ask the hospital where the operation is going to take place all your questions as they are the only ones who can tell you 100% what the procedure is.

Hope everything goes ok x x x
  • Hey ya lovey! I dont know myself but OH's mother was telling me OH's brother had this done when he was a child Ob it would have been a while ago now because he is much older than my OH (20 years) but I can ask her if you would like - she is lovely and very matter of fact having had 6 children she is very honest and gentle I love her to bits really do and thats saying something for a MIL...
    once ive spoken to her I can post want info/personal experiance she has passed onto me to you if you want? althought the way of doing it might be a little dated now... and just to let you know he has 3 beautiful children now! xx
  • I'm afraid I can't help much but I do have a story that might make you smile. My big bro had this done when he was little, I think he was about three. My mum had explained to him what was going to happen and it all went fine. When he woke up he was obviously a little bit sore and apparantly his first words were 'I don't like this one, can I have the old one back?'

It must be hard for you with what happened with your daughter but I am sure he will sail through, I think you are probably right that you will be more bothered than him!
    Kerry xx
  • Hweya, im really sorry about your daughter. I can't offer you any advice,. because I don't actually know, but I didn't want to read and run. im sure everything will be fine xxxxxx
  • Hi karen, i'm gatecrashing from the baby forum. My eldest son (whos nearly 12 now) had to have an operation to bring his testes down, he was 8 when he had his op as the drs didnt diagnose it when he was a baby, basically we were allowed to stay with him and go down to theatre with him, then just one of us was allowed into the anaestetic room with him, the gave him a mask which i assume was oxygen to hold over his nose and mouth and they injected the anaestetic into the back of his hand and told him to count back from 10. he only got to 7 and he was out. the operation only took about 30 mins although he didnt come round for about 90 mins, as soon as he started to come round we were called to recovery and he was waking up so didnt really know where he was. he wasnt scared at all and i was probably worse than he was but i think if you prepare your son he will be fine. good luck i hope it all goes well. hayley xx
  • Hi Ladies

Thanks for all your lovely wishes and advice. It does help to keep me calm!

Kerry - that is really funny - something I could imagine my ds saying - I touched on the subject of losing a bit of skin off the end of his todge and he was horrified bless him.

itmustbelove, that would be great to get a bit of info off your mil re recovery etc - I just don't know what to expect - bleugh - it's hardly as though you can put a hot water bottle on it and kiss it better is it?! How long is it until it gets back to normal?

Hayley thanks for responding - just being a bit more in the know helps.

Thanks again ladies - much appreciated.
    Karenxx
  • Hi Ladies

Thanks for all your lovely wishes and advice. It does help to keep me calm!

Kerry - that is really funny - something I could imagine my ds saying - I touched on the subject of losing a bit of skin off the end of his todge and he was horrified bless him.

itmustbelove, that would be great to get a bit of info off your mil re recovery etc - I just don't know what to expect - bleugh - it's hardly as though you can put a hot water bottle on it and kiss it better is it?! How long is it until it gets back to normal?

Hayley thanks for responding - just being a bit more in the know helps.

Thanks again ladies - much appreciated.
    Karenxx
  • My dad had it done but he's now 67 so don't think he'd remember it if I asked him! My mum complains he doesn't aim right at the toilet because of it tho! I know he had it done for a medical reason tho and not for anything else. Hope it all goes well anyway - try not to worry, although easier said than done I guess. xxxxxxxxxx
  • Hi Karen, I know when I was put to sleep it was through an injection in my hand, didn't really know anything about it till I woke up and felt sleepy still. Can't really offer anymore advice than that really but just wanted you to know I am thinking of you!
    Tammi xxx
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev165pf___.png

• Thanks girls - have got his pre op assessment this afternoon so will try and tap them for more info. Trying really hard to keep calm!

Don't tell me about the not shooting straight - it's bad enough already!
    Karenx
  • Hi Karen, my nephew is having this done in a couple of weeks and he's 9. I don't really know what the procedure is or anything but I'd suggest speaking to them this afternoon at his pre op assessment. They'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. It helps to be armed with lots of information, and as some of the other ladies have said, you'll be more worried than your ds lol

http://bd.lilypie.com/sPnX0/.png