Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Petition for 2 NHS scans for all pregnant women in Scotland

Some areas only offer 1 scan to pregnant women despite recommendations to offer 2, please sign the petition to add your support

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/ultrasound-scans-for-pregnant-mothers-in-scotland.html

Replies

• Signed up. Im one of the lucly ones in Scotland and i get 2 scans but plenty of my friends have not!!!!!

Gemm x
  • Signed it, we left Edinburgh when I was 6 weeks pregnant or I wouldn't have been entitled to a 20 week scan. Where I am I have had 6 scans now from various problems and my standard scans, I think it's unacceptable to only be offered 1 as standard!!
  • i've signed thats terrible! I've already had 2 scans and i'm not even 12 weeks yet then I get another 3 under my care...

I didnt know that about scotland! xx
  • I've signed up - had no idea it was like that in Scotland!
  • I've signed x
  • Im also in Scotland.... we get two scans in the area we are in (12 and 20).... What areas in Scotland only get 1??

Ive also signed the petition...image

xx
  • I've signed, im in the Scottish Highlands and only get one, not getting my 12 week scan til 13 +1
  • signed up i live in england but did live in edinburgh years ago - its shocking
  • I signed this a couple of months ago. It's ridiculous that we only get one scan because of where we live. I think the areas which dont get the 2nd scan are Lanarkshire, Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Highlands and i think the Lothians (not sure about this one).

Although, as someone pointed out to me when i caused a fuss about this, the money that those healthboards would spend on offering a 20 week scan to all mothers is probably getting spent on baby units and other things which they deem more important. I am 30 weeks now and i never got my 20 week scan, tbh it would have been nice to have one but i have had regular midwife appointments and my baby has not stopped moving since about 20 odd weeks, so i havent really missed it. Yes it would have been nice to see my baby but I do know that if I had any concerns or worries then I would be able to contact my mw or maternity unit and try to request a scan.

I hope that the petition does do some good and makes these healthboards reconsider their policies.

Lx
    30+1

• I think I signed this a few months back. I'm in Fife so I'm one of the lucky ones to get 2 scans, does seem very unfair to not have the same policy across the board!
  • I tried to sign but the website has been blocked!!! Will try it from home later. Good luck x
  • I've signed it as well. Not pregnant yet, still trying. I live in West Lothian. Not sure what they get here? Anyone know?
  • Thanks girls - I live in Tayside where 2 scans is standard I'd heard from a friend about Edinburgh only having one and thought it was scandalous just another example of the postcode lottery that is the NHS.

I'll actually end up getting 4 scans - as I've had 2 MC's I called EPU when I got my BFP and they booked me for my early sacn at 7+"2(saw little heartbeat so it was great!) but then ended up having a scan at 5 weeks as I was getting pinching pains and they wanted to check everything was in the right place. So I guess I'm pretty lucky
  • Hi, I live in Glasgow and from January this year they have started offering 20 week scans so I will be able to get one!! I think everywhere should be entitled to them.
  • I signed it, they should have 2 scans and have more if needed to check out problems with babe
  • I was with forth valley for my first baby and they offered 2 scans in 2008, now going to st johns (west lothian) and they now offer 2 scans ( from 6 months ago or something like that the mw said) as does the rest of the lothians, slowly getting there i think!

with both my pregnancies ive had to have extra scans, with first i had 5 in total and witht his one ive already had 4 and am only 17 weeks. to be fair to the hospitals theyve always been great when ive needed them

[Modified by: el-07 on November 29, 2009 10:28 PM]

[Modified by: el-07 on November 29, 2009 10:29 PM]

• Signed, hope it helps xx
  • I am on the Isle of skye and they offer only one scan at 12 weeks, and even then the woman who did it was awful and shouted at me for crying (think it was because I moved slightly)!!
    Care does seem to be a postcode lottery, although I must say the midwives here are fantastic.
    I also have to travel 3-4 hours to inverness to the hospital there. Really think they should be offering a closer to home service to first time mums. Skye has two hospitals that could accomodate a full maternity unit.

I have signed
  • Can't beleive she shouted at you for crying!! It's a prefecctly normal reacion surely she's seen it before!!