Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Back to back baby at 39+6!!!

Has anyone else had this? I'm 39+6 and have just had a midwife appointment, and have been told that baby's head is 4/5ths engaged, but the stubborn little thing has decided to go back to back, and for this reason, she didn't want to attempt a sweep as baby wasn't in the optimal position for labour & delivery.

I've now got a list of exercises to do to try and turn baby - and I've got another appointment next Tuesday when I will be 40+6 and will be having a sweep, no matter what position baby is in.
Has anyone had baby at this position this far into their pregnancy? And if so, did you manage to turn baby, or did you have a back to back labour?

Really feel like a failure, as it's obviously my positioning and posture over the last few weeks that has caused baby to move into this position, and now I feel that with the head being so much engaged, that it's going to be a problem for little one to move in the right position, and that I'm going to have a long and painful labour ahead of me!! image

Leanne (39+6) xxx

Replies

• hi hun.

First off, you're not a failure, so don't think that! Yes, your posture could have helped the baby get to that position, but what job do you do? If you have a job that requires you to sit down most of the day then it's not exactly you fault for example!

My second baby was back to back - right in to labour!!! I'll be honest with you and say that I did the exercises I was advised to do but they didn't help to move him, but that doesn't mean they won't work for you!

I wouldn't describe the labour as any more painful than it was with my first, but it take longer to get going because my waters broke first but as his head wasn't engaged properly there was no pressure to start contractions, so I was in no pain at all!!!! I did have to have the drip to start contractions but all in all it was fairly quick going once that was started (went in at around 7pm and he was born at 2am).

please don't stress yourself out about it, even if your baby is back to back when labour starts, it's not a huge problem, and the contractions usually turn them for delivery. Just listen to your mw and you'll be fine image
  • I work in an office - so yes, I was sat down at a desk all day, every day until I left work at just over 36 weeks. Since being on maternity leave I have been very active, apart from in the evenings when I just lounge around on the sofa!! Grrrr, mad at myself now!!

Thanks for the advice though. Really thought everything was good and baby was in the right position, but hey ho, never mind - what will be will be I guess!! Time to get leaning forward!!
    xx
  • That was like me, and now with this one it's the same job wise, sat down at my computer most of the day so am going to have to try and make sure i sit forward this time!

Don't be mad at yourself hun, if it's like me, I was never told that my posture affected the baby being back to back until after they'd examined me.

Hoping baby turns for you, but if not it's not a tradegy but may mean you have to work a little harder to get him/her out. If it helps you feel better about it, I still had no stitches or tears and he was 8lb 10oz and healthy when he got here. Like i said, just listen to your mw.

• Hi Hun, my LO has been B2B most of the pregnancy.....I have an anterior placenta & was told that many babies will face the placenta, so this could explain it image Ive been doing all sorts to get her to turn but her movements are the same, so I'm guessing she hasnt! Your not a failure, its just one of those things! Ive been told many turn during labour, and the only thing you may notice is your labour maybe more in your back apparently. Dont stress, easier said than done though.

CG 39+4 xxx
  • My lo was back to back, but it wasn't discovered until I was in labour (39+4). All my contractions were in my back, but hardly any across my bump. I can't comment on how painful it was in comparison to a 'normal' labour, as this was my first. I did break my leg three years ago & doing that was a lot more painful though!

The MW helped me to turn baby during contractions, and it didn't seem to make labour any longer-at 4hours 23mins. It's interesting to hear that babies face the placenta, as I also had an anterior placenta. Hope the excercises work to turn bubs for you, and if not, warn your birth partner that you're going to want your back rubbing lots :lol: Look forward to seeing your ba soon xx
  • Thanks ladies - I was told at my 20 week scan that I had an anterior placenta, so that's quite interesting. Still getting kicks to the left, but I'm going to persevere with trying to turn baba!!

Was speaking to my mum earlier and when she was expecting me, I was back to back with her, but turned during labour.
    xxx
  • Hi,

I know I'm only 33 weeks and there is time for bubs to turn yet, but I have a high anterior placenta and bubs has been facing the right way (face to back) or sideways on) throughout. I also work in a office. Although I do like sitting up straight and walk to and from work as much as possible.

I hope bubs turns for you soon

xxx

[Modified by: arls0308 on June 29, 2010 03:46 PM]

• Oh i def remember contractions being in my back lol, but from what I can remember (bearing in mind the labours were 9 and 5 years ago) the contractions didn't seem to hurt as much with my second which was back to back.

I'm just hoping I get a labour this time when i don't need that flamin drip for contractions. Twice is enough!!! :lol: