Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stomach Bug - What do i do?

Hi all

Looking for some advice i have come down with a stomach bug which i found out a lot of people at work have had - how come i'm the last to know??

What i need to know is what do i do ? Are there any risks having a stomach bug whilst pregnant?

Thanks

Cazz
23+4

Replies

• Options
    go to the doctors asap, you may need antibiotics but you must tell them you are pregnant so they can prescribe something suitable if you need it. i had severe food poisoning at 7 weeks but i was told my baby wasnt getting anything from the placenta that early as bub was still getting nutrient from the yolk sac (or something like that) so the infection was unlikely to cross to her, but it is important to keep hydrated too. not sure at 23 weeks but baby is well protected, i would still see the doctor and maybe get tests done to see what youv'e picked up xxxx

[Modified by: l&c's mum on February 28, 2008 08:24 AM]

[Modified by: l&c's mum on February 28, 2008 08:26 AM]

• Options
    thanks L&C's mum was gonna ring my midwife at 9 as doc receptionists are rubbish.

Not feeling too bad think i have had a mild dose of whatever everyone else has had just feeling drained at the moment.

Thanks again
    Cazz

23+4
  • Options
    You'll be fine hun if you're keeping down liquids, I had food poisoning or a stomach bug last week and rand the delivery suite for advice coz baby was moving mental, I was told to treat it like before I was pregnant i.e. fast for a day and drink loads of fluids but if I it didn't clear up after a day or two to call back, good luck, xxx
  • Options
    Hi Cazz

I too have this horrible stomach bug. I was up all night Tuesday being sick and have completely lost my appetite. I phoned my midwife on Wednesday as I was worried about baby and she said lo will be fine. She told me to drink flat coke as it's full of sugar for energy and to eat dry toast when I felt up to it (lovely!). Today is the first day I've felt a little better but all I was worried about was baby. Luckily I've hired a doppler and have been able to keep a check on baby's heartbeat and it's as strong as ever!!

I hope you feel better soon.

Big hugs

Serena (19+2) xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Caz
    I had v bad stomach bug, which in total lasted about 11-12 days. I couldn't eat for about 8days and even keeping water down was a problem. However, doc was v good & said that baby will take any goodness in your system so NOTHING to worry about.
    I did get very dehydrated & he was going to get me to go on a drip, but i managed to start keeping water down.
    I also saw an out-of-hours emergency doc & he also said not to worry about baby, just rest & try to keep liquid down first, food second!
    Prob best to contact your doc/mw though. Hope your feeling better soon chicken - keep us posted!
    Sarah xx
    Ps, i only took paracetamol, which was useless, but doc didn't wanted me to try & get better without antibiotics!
  • Options
    i had this all last week. There's nothing a doc can do,he said try and drink to keep hydrated, don't worry too much with eating. As long as you don't have a temp, the baby will be fine. Mine lasted 8 days, if it had gone on till the following monday I was to take in a sample.

I could only eat toast and drink dyoralite (sp?) and flat lemonade.
  • Options
    Hi all thought would update you

Think i must have been really lucky and had a very very mild dose as i feel fine now i think the lie in this morning helped as well. Managed to keep everything down today so hopefully thats the end of it phew

Thanks for all the advice
    Cazz

23+4
  • Options

I am 24 weeks preg and having same problem ,, as soon as i eat it feels like everything started coming back to my mouth yuk its so **** crazy .... tried medicine nothing happened its almost 7 days now i am suffering from this .. if anyone can help i'll be really thankful .