Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Last Day at Work Today and Being Made Redundant!

Hi all,

It's my last day at work today before Mat Leave!!! Roll on 5 pm! BUT I found out yesterday that I am being made redundant image

This may sound strange but in some ways I'm actually pleased about it as it means Harry won't have to go to Nursery as I'll be home image I wasn't really surprised as my company (big insurance firm) has made loads of staff redundant over the last few months with more to come. I'm a PA for a middle manager and they have decided that only the top bods get to have them now. My boss wasn't supposed to tell me yet but as he knew I was leaving today he wanted to tell me so I could discuss it with my hubby.

We've decided that I'll take early redundancy so that I won't be taxed on any of my severance pay or maternity pay. I'm not sure how much I'll get as HR haven't come back to us yet. The good thing is that my hubby earns a good wage so we just about afford for me to be home all the time. He's a bit upset about it as he knows I like being around other people and is worried that I'll be bored. I am a little too but know that I'd rather be home with the little one than have to put him in Nursery like we would have had to do.

I have a great boss and think he is upset too and is trying his best to get it all sorted for me.

Just wanted to share

BabyChicken26
35+5

Replies

• Oh babychicken26
    What an awful predicament but how nice is your boss to tell you before you go. You sound quite upbeat about it which is great to hear hon.
    If they are making you redunant whilst on maternity leave, do they still have to pay you full maternity pay along with your severance pay? I'm guessing they date severance from your redundancy date but is that after your maternity leave ends?
    Really hope it works out for you! xxxx
  • How exciting - I cant wait until my maternity leave in 6 weeks!

Sorry to hear about your redundancy, we had lots of redundancies here just before xmas and the worst thing for the girls was leaving our little family. Its sad you have to leave a job you get on with. Hope it doesnt effect your income too much.

Now sit back and enjoy waiting for bubba to arrive

Gxx
    25+5
  • ahh sorry to hear this but looks like it has all worked out fo rthe best!

I too will be a stay at home mum and part of me is really looking forward to it but then part of me will miss the social side of work xxx

MKB 23+4
  • ahh sorry to hear this but looks like it has all worked out fo rthe best!

I too will be a stay at home mum and part of me is really looking forward to it but then part of me will miss the social side of work xxx

MKB 23+4
  • Sounds like its a blessing in disguise if you can afford it ! Best of both worlds - I hope you get a good pay off !

I'd love to be a stay at home mum - but we can't afford it at the mo. I'm hoping by the time no 2 comes along I'll be able to but we shall see !
  • Sounds like its a blessing in disguise if you can afford it ! Best of both worlds - I hope you get a good pay off !

I'd love to be a stay at home mum - but we can't afford it at the mo. I'm hoping by the time no 2 comes along I'll be able to but we shall see !