Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Leg cramp??

I woke up in the middle of the night screaming with pain as i had cramp in my calf. Hubby thought i was going into labour early lol

Has anyone else suffered with leg cramps or is this just not pregnancy related at all? x

Replies

• Options
    i have a bit, only had it a few times, but i don't usually get it at all.
    I think i would have had it a lot more, but i can feel when it's coming on and i change position quick which usually avoids it..x
  • Options
    I've recently started to feel the beginnings of cramp in my leg a few times, but not actually had it turn into a proper cramp thankfully. I've heard it's quite common in pregnancy and only gets worse unfortunately!!

They do say that cutting down on salt can really help xx
  • Options
    Yes me! I woke up screaming the other night as it was so painful! It nearly happened again this morning but thankfully I managed to get up and straighten my leg out before it turned into full blown cramp. It's not nice!

xx
  • Options
    Not just me then!! I have felt it starting to come on a few times over last few days and like some of u managed to stop it before it starts but last night i was half asleep and couldnt function my brain to stop it in time lol nearly screamed the house down, made me think even more i am gona be rubbish in labour!!! ha x
  • Options
    I said exactly the same thing my husband - how on earth am I going to cope with labour when I'm such a wimp with leg cramp! xx
  • Options
    yep - ive been waking up with cramps in my legs and feet for a couple of months now image they make me yell out loud too - im such a baby! Apparently it is really common so dont worry. Ive found that if I stretch my leg out completely straight as soon as the pain starts it goes away quicker. When i get it in my feet I have to make myself walk around barefoot until it goes away otherwise it last for ages. I've read that eating bananas before you go to bed can help ( something to do with potassium) but I never fancy them at that time of night!
  • Options
    I've had this too - stretched out the other morning when I woke up and instantly new that was a bad move as got cramp in my calf. Poor hubby was trying to get me to tell him which bit to rub but I couldn't get the words out!!!
    Now when I wake up I just have to do tiny little stretches and stop!
    H x
    24+3
  • Options
    I've had this a couple of times now. I'm usually just waking up and I'll feel it ready to go and then stretch my leg without thinking and then it goes! My OH now virtually rubs my calf in his sleep now! I'll just go 'arrrgggh, arrgghhh - cramp' and shove my leg across him. He rubs it out, tells me to either walk or hang it over the side of the bed and goes back to sleep!!

Arls
    xxx
    26+4
  • Options
    yeah i have had cramps in the lower parts of legs a few times - usually when i wake up and go to move my legs but its usually quite quickly resolving although does take my breath away a bit,...

Lx
    (35+4)
  • Options
    Hi I never got cramps until i was pregnant with my son, mainly in the morning in bed if i stretched, I also had it during labour!! Nothing after that though.... Nothing until this pregnancy that is. Cramps in my calf and always during the night! I would say for me it's def a pregnancy thing! xx

[Modified by: daiisy on May 12, 2010 09:18 PM]

• Options
    I find when it starts to put your leg straight and stretch your toes towards you.
    It is so painful

Leanne 27+4
  • Options
    I haven't had it yet in pregnancy but it is something that I suffer with now and again and apparently it's due to lack of salt. I don't add salt to any of my diet, but find that if I start getting cramp I have somehting salty and it gies so I've purposly started adding a bit of salt to my chips etc to try and prevent it!

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev345prs__.png

• Options
    You need quinnine, it is in tonic water and that will help with any morning sickness too xx
  • Options
    i get it too but seems to be if i've ended up lying on my back in my sleep i think its when baby finds a nerve
  • Options
    I was just going to voice what socks has said. Get yourself some indian tonic water, the quinine will help to calm the cramps. Just have a small tumbler full before bed with some lime, yum.
  • Options
    i suffered with leg cramps for about a month in pregnancy .

i found having a glass of milk before bed would stop them (this is what midwife suggested)

worked for me so worth giving it a go x:\)
  • Options
    I was wondering if any mums out there who suffered leg cramps during pregnancy can tell me if the cramping pain (which I find unbearable, and I usually have a high pain threshold) was worse or easier than their labour pain at its most intense.

I can't control my cramping pain, just cry out helplessly, and if this is easier than labour, I'm toast.