Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Money worries

2»

Replies

• Thank you, you have no idea how much of a lifeline this website has been to me over the last couple of days and everyone is really nice. im glad that everyone is here to talk to xxxxx
  • You dont sound rude, your right not to want to be tarred with any brush. Its a shame that their are so many people letting down the rest of the country as they are causing unfair stereotypes to people like yourself who are using benefits for the reason they were put there, to help out when things are hard, not as a way of life.
  • I'm with steph & bump on this one, fair enough the amount people get taxed i think is fcukin stupid but not much of that goes into the amount of money for benefits. My oh has a 4 yr old n this lo is due in 3 weeks time, he's been a single parent looking after her till she started school this year but as he doesn't drive he's restricted on where he can look but any guy try finding a job that fits in with school hours? or even enables him to have any time to spend with his daughter before she goes to bed. I only work part time & even thats considered earning too much to qualify for any form of help i.e. income support, housing benefit (we still live wi oh parents so can't claim coz we living with family even though we pay ??200 a month, doesn't sound much but when the only source of income we've got is mine (oh can't qualify for jsa coz i'm earning ??94p/w n the limit for getting anything is ??90) it's a hell of alot coming out of my pay packet!! although we did qualify for the maternity grant coz my oh has his lo
    but on the brighter side of everything!!! lol i got conformation from head office at work yesterday & they actually paying me more than what i was earning while actually working there!!!
    But i'm not having a go at anyone here but it is a hell of a lot harder to qualify for anything that most people realize!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20750;42/st/20080421/dt/6/k/fc61/preg.png

• mumdonna

Bloody hell hun how much is your mortgage? thats alot to pay out!

My oh has always worked since leaving school and has paid around ??200 a week tax ever since. A year and a half a go he lost his job but was told that we could not get any benefits as i was working part time (my son was 6 weeks old at the time) and i had go back to work keep things running, when my oh was earning so we really struggled when he lost his wages. In the last year we have had to borrow from credit cards ect to make ends meet hense the reason, we are now having to remortgage. When i rang up to speak to the local job centre i was told that it would be hard for me to claim benefits as i hadn't before!!!! (how does that work surely i should get the help more??) anyway i dont begrudge people who genuinly do need to claim these benefitS but the peole who sit on their arses day in day out for no good reason and watch all the rest of us work to pay for there up keep knocks me sick!
  • Steph, I don't think anyone was talking about situations like yours. I think it's the ones that are too lazy to get off their bum and find work when there's no reason they can't and get given a decent house and the benefits they get each year is more than what is considered a decent wage.

I'm quite lucky in the sense that my husband does earn a good wage and we managed to get on the property ladder before the major boom so am in a decent house 4 bed house which was fine when we only had the one child.

But now with an extra baby, it's costing us an extra ??200-??300 a month for nappies, baby food, milk formular, baby wipes etc
    Not to mention the extra water, electricity etc because we have another member in the household.

On top of that, our car insurance is due for renewal next month and thats gone up. Our council tax has just risen to ??1540.

Before we had a lot of extra money that we could afford to indulge in luxuries but now, its just seems to go and we are constantly budgeting on where to cut what too.
  • Steph, I don't think anyone was talking about situations like yours. I think it's the ones that are too lazy to get off their bum and find work when there's no reason they can't and get given a decent house and the benefits they get each year is more than what is considered a decent wage.

I'm quite lucky in the sense that my husband does earn a good wage and we managed to get on the property ladder before the major boom so am in a decent house 4 bed house which was fine when we only had the one child.

But now with an extra baby, it's costing us an extra ??200-??300 a month for nappies, baby food, milk formular, baby wipes etc
    Not to mention the extra water, electricity etc because we have another member in the household.

On top of that, our car insurance is due for renewal next month and thats gone up. Our council tax has just risen to ??1540.

Before we had a lot of extra money that we could afford to indulge in luxuries but now, its just seems to go and we are constantly budgeting on where to cut what too.
  • We find it hard each month and things are just getting harder. I think I'm paid quite well but hubby isn't. He has a degree and is earning nowhere near the 'average graduate starting salary' that the government keep raving about. He doens't earn enough to be able to pay his student loan back yet and he's been left uni for 6 years!

We just got our gas bill today and I just sat and cried. They have put our monthyl payment up and we still owe them money. Then we got our council tax bill last week and surprise surprise that had gone up too! I will have to go back to work fulltime after baby comes as we can't afford to manage. I think we'll just about break even with childcare costs versus me not going back to work.

I know money isn't everything and I'm happy for what we do have but it's so hard when bills just get bigger and bigger all the time.

xxxxxx
  • I've already wrote an essay yesterday but in reading through i've not heard anyone mention the working tax credits (me & oh don't qualify coz i'm only on a 12 hour contract n u need to work over 16 hours to qualify) anyone know what the criteria for these are apart from the whole working over 16 hours between you?

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20750;42/st/20080421/dt/6/k/fc61/preg.png