Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

TENS?

Hi ladies,

Im due in 6 weeks; am keeping my fingers crossed for a waterbirth as I have been struggling with pelvic pain. I am hoping to stay at home as long as possible when it starts & am lookin into TENS machines. Would anyone recommend getting one & if so which one did u use? Does it have to be specifically for pregnancy or will any TENS machine do the job? MIL has one from Lloyds pharmacy that she said I could borrow thats all but wasnt sure if i could use it.
Claire

xx

Replies

• I've bought the Lloyds one but it was especially for labour not there ordinary TENS machine. It was ??29.99. I figured most of the TENS to buy or hire are about that price or more so i thought it worth a go. I too am hoping for a waterbirth but will try and do as much as i can at home before heading into the birth unit. Here's hoping the TENS does it's job! x
  • I'm hoping to have waterbirth but have bought a lloyds pharmacy tens machine, i got mine off ebay for ??13 and just bought new pads for ??6, not a huge saving but every little helps lol!
  • I would definitely recommend a TENS machine. I hired one for my first labour and although I don't know how I would have got on without it I do know that I managed to stay at home until really late - was already full dilated when I got to the hospital and I had no other form of pain relief so i will def be going down the TENs route again this time!

I'm not sure if an ordinary one will do in labour, maybe ask midwife that one. I hired one from Mama tens for ??20 although that was 2 years ago.

Hope you have the same luck with TENS that I had xx
  • Be careful which one you buy - only some of them can be used for labour so if you're not sure about your MILs one then do NOT use it as it can hurt baby.

I bought mine for my first pg and it was wonderful in the early stages. Until one of the pads came off and electrocuted me!! :lol:

I let a friend borrow it (new pads of course) and really helped her as well, and am planning on using it again when this lo is due. Really worth the money in my opinion, but I know some women hate them.
  • Hi ladies,

Im due in 6 weeks; am keeping my fingers crossed for a waterbirth as I have been struggling with pelvic pain. I am hoping to stay at home as long as possible when it starts & am lookin into TENS machines. Would anyone recommend getting one & if so which one did u use? Does it have to be specifically for pregnancy or will any TENS machine do the job? MIL has one from Lloyds pharmacy that she said I could borrow thats all but wasnt sure if i could use it.
    Claire

xx

I used one last year before i got into the birthpool and got to 10cm with just TENS and aromatherapy I found it really good but yes it does need to be a pregnancy one. Normal TENS give out a continual electric pulse to block the constant pain But pregnancy TENS have a boost button so when the pain peaks so does the electric pulse (if you see what i mean?image)
  • I'm also hoping for a water birth. Suffering with PGP made me lean towards this idea, and I'm hoping to use only my Tens, Gas & air and water for pain relief.
    I bought mine (Femme Tens by Babycare Tens) from Lloyds Pharmacy for ??29.99. I was told, by my midwife, that it must state that it is a Labour or Obstetric Tens. (Mine can also be used for normal pain relief aswell)
    Seeing as you can actually buy one for the cost of hiring one... I'd say buy one definitely! You can always sell it on, or use it again for any future prengancies! x
  • Thanks ladies, think Im gonna get myself one of those from Lloyds. Had a gander at Boots but they seem to start at around ??50!!

xx
  • Hi,

G/C this thread really as I had a quick bash on my mama tens machine on Sunday (just used the bottom 2 pads) and only got to near the end of the first level. When I used the boost button it was fine, but the normal settings - when it got higher it felt like someone wash hitting my back with stinging nettles!

Is this normal as I was using it and not in pain? My OH had a bash (he has a bad back) and LOVED it.

xxx
  • I used a mamatens one with DS. I was induced and tbh I'm not sure it helped with the pain. It distracted me a bit playing about with it! It does feel tingly when you use it.

Im undecided whether to hire one again or not. Apparently it might not have been too helpful because pains when you are induced are more intense (or so I read anyway) so if it's a "normal" labour it might help more xx
  • Just wanted to say I used the Lloyds labour one and got to 10cm with it image So for obvious reasons I would recommend it.
  • Thanks ladies, have been to Lloyds pharmacy today & got myself one. Will set DH on it tonight- he can have a read thru the instructions so we are clued up as how to use it when the time comes!! xx