Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

estimating sex by baby's heart rate

i am very intrigued by this theory and have read all pros and cons, but i don't want to read medical studies i want to hear from real mums.

this lo is baby number 4 and my other 3 were all correctly estimated on heart rate by the midwife. then later confirmed by scan (except my daughter, midwife estimated girl and evryone else estimated boy)

so between 12 and 20 weeks what was your baby's heart rate and do you know what your having???

the midwifes said the theory is this:

heart rate above 140 bpm is said to be a girl
heart rate below 140 bpm is said to be a boy

but this theory is only accurate up until 20 weeks supposedly!!!!

everyones input welcome as i am 6 weeks off my anomaly scan and midwife has estimated girl from heart rate of 156 bpm

Replies

• hey at my 16 week appointment HR was 155bpm, however scan yest revealed a little boy. I was thinking that we were having a girl because of the HR xx
  • No that doesn't make sense with me. HB for me hasn't been under 150 and I have a little boy.xxx
  • its strange how people come up with these theories!!

one of my friends midwifes, told her at 13 weeks that she was having a boy because of the heart rate which i thought was quite unorthodox as it is just a theory, a later scan did comfirm a boy.
  • My OB/GYN told me it was just an old wives tale. He said that if I listened to them then I would be having a bit of both as I have had awful sickness which apparently means a girl, but I look very well and my hair is lovely which apparently means a boy, but the babies heartrate is 161bpm so that means a girl but the baby is lying very low which means a boy. xxxx
  • there are loads of old wives tales, but for a midwife to come up with the idea suggests some basis for it to be an actual theory instead of an old wives tale. my first trimester in terms of symptoms etc with both my first and third were identical, yet one was a girl and the other was a boy, but from about 20 weeks onwards both my boys were carried the same with the same symptoms etc.
  • I have been told by a midwife that this can only be used as a reliable method of sexing in the last trimester, as this is when the heart rate regulates. In the earlier stages it is usually higher and unreliable.
    This is true for me as before 12 weeks my babys hb was over 170, then up until 28 weeks was always higher than 155 but recently his generally about 125-130 and we are definately having a boy!
    n
    xx
  • i think i'm just clutching at straws in hope of having a girl lol, oh well only 6 weeks and i get to find out image
  • Our baby's HB is always around 150bmp and we're having a little girl so the theory works for us! :\)

Love NN 28+6 xxx

http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/tickers/2jd2p9xz55ugm69d.png

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/NattyNik/Round%204%20Pregnancy%20Photos/KangaandRoo62.jpg

Click Here To Read My Pregnancy Blog
  • Dylan's heart rate used to be around 149+ until recently and today it was 130-140 bpm at 37 + 1 there again he wouldnt stop kicking her so may not be that accurate lol!
  • We don't know what we are having but my midwife laughed and said oooh girl when she first heard the heartrate at 160bpm. It has been the same at every appointment.
  • did not work for me, we decided not to find out the sex but loved guessing, the heartbeat was always under 140bpm which would suggest a boy, also we heard that if the heartbeat sounds like a train its a boy and if it sounds like a horse its a girl, well mine sounded like neither but prob more like a train than a horse so we were very surprised wen i gave birth to a little girl!!!! image xx
  • i have just had my 2nd boy last week and both of them always had heart rates of around 140bpm
  • Well at my 16 week appointment babys hb was around 170 and hes a boy lol
    xxx
    21+3
  • my baby heart beet is 147 in 20 weeks, Boy or Girl, pls tell me correct one. Raj

• Anyone pls response soon

• Its a load of rubbish just an old wives take, baby's heart rate can vary at different times of the day. According to my baby's heart rate I'm having a boy but I'm not it's another little girl. 

• I jus had my first ultrasound. I thought I was 10weeks exactly but 3d ultrasound actually measured 11weeks 3days..I have to gorgeous boys n non of them was above 150..always ranged between 130-148. To top it all up I had severe morning sickness with both from 4 to around 15-16weeks.

This one seems to be quite different iv not had any MS, had to do two pregnancy tests to confirm if u was still preggos coz I feel so fine n eating jus about everything though  craving lots of fruits, milkshakes n junk food..

Baby's HR was at 156. Iv done almost all the gender predictors n all are pointing to one sex. I do another ultrasound at 18 weeks jus to confirm. 

May God bless u all during this joyous journey! Due 13th Nov,15..

• My first OB appointment I was 8 weeks. The baby’s Heartbeat was 155

• Liesssss.

Our baby's heart rate is 135, and it's a girl.

Like none of my symptoms match with the typical girl symptoms, except for the acne which isn't even that prevalent.