Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby on board- blacked out windows?!

Hi ladies, does anyone know if you can get baby on board signs/stickers that are visable with blacked out windows?I don't have a pimp mobile honest, it's a very boring, family car- a vauxhall meriva but the back windows are blacked out and I really want a sticker for safety.

Any ideas?

OP xx

Replies

• No idea, have you checked in somewere like Halfords? x
  • Like laujai has suggested try popping into halfords or somewhere and ask if u can try one out image x
  • OP your posts make me giggle image

We could do with knowing for hub's car too, no not a pimp mobile sadly but a Mazda 6 sport!! xxx
  • We have blacked out windows too - just because apparently "the sun shades dont fit our windows properly".... we have a little fiat punto (and OH has boy racer dreams that have never surfaced properly!!!!) anyways we bought something like this :
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BABY-BOARD-STICKER-/390201873441?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ad9d81421
    from ebay, just pop in baby on board sticker, or even go down the personalised sticker route and make your own perfect one- they cost about the same as a normal baby on board sign - just make sure the one you choose is for the exterior and be careful with the pressure washer when washing the car!
  • I would get one for the exterior too. One thing that intregues me, you say for safety. I am not convinced they do anything for safety. They are really small and I personally do not drive any differently regardless of whether someone has a sticker in the car or not. I think sometimes it actually encourages people to drive closer to see what they say. I am not against them, I just assumed people bought them, because they were cute and to accssorise. I hope this isn't going to cause controvasy! xxx
  • I had read somewhere that the point of them wasn't for other drivers to drive more safely but so that if you are involved in an accident it is immediately clear that you have a small child in the car. Apparently there was an accident where the child was thrown from the car in the carseat, was perfectly fine but not discovered for ages after the accident because they were not visible from the accident site. The problem with that is for them to be effective you would need to remove them when you don't have baby in the car and lets be honest, who does that?
    I don't have one, I don't expect people to drive differently because of one of those signs and I would hope in the event of an accident the mothercare sun shade we have in the window would make it obvious we have a small child.
  • Ah ok. That is really interesting actually. Mind you that must have been a poorly fitted car seat! Hope they found the baby and it ended well xx
  • I heard about a fireman who returned to a car that had been in an accident because of the sticker and the car blew up and killed him, but the child had never been in the car. So the reason I don't like exterior ones, is I feel if you are going to use the stickers you should take the sticker out when you don't have a child in the car.
  • Ooh Miss I and LSG, interesting point. I never saw the point of them until I read a post on here about how they're to alert the emergency services in the event of an accident, and only then did I wonder if I should get one. Never did though and now this thread has made up my mind not to (as I know I wouldn't remember to be sticking them up and taking them down all the time).

That aside, I've never wanted one in my car - I feel it's just asking for people to go "so what do you want, a medal?" :lol:

Sorry not to be of any actual help, OP!

[Modified by: PinkToothbrush on July 30, 2010 09:14 AM]

• Thanks for the advice ladies and for the link Jenna.

Personally I do give a car with a baby on board sticker more space and it makes me drive more carefully around them although I'm a very careful driver anyway so I always just assumed that's what they're for and that people do take notice and show additional consideration but perhaps not then....?!
    I also assumed if you're driving cautiously people will understand why and be more patient if they know you have a baby on board but again I'm just basing that on how I drive but perhaps it makes little or no difference to most.

I'm quite surprised to hear it doesn't effect how people drive but we've not heard from many people, I guess like with anything it's probably kind of mixed.

I had also heard the emergency services aspect so wanted one for that reason too but yes I can see the point that unless you remove it when the child isn't in the car it's misleading.

Thanks again for reading xx
  • I hope I drive considerately whether or not someone's got a baby in their car.... have always assumed that the sort of person who drives up your backside isn't the sort of person who gives a stuff if you've got kids in your car or not.

Sorry, I know you didn't start this thread for a debate, just thinking out loud, really!

How about this?:

http://jodydesigns.blogspot.com/2009/08/baby-on-board-vinyl-car-stickers.html
  • I have one in my car, and never thought for the reasons above to remove it when my DS is not in the car... I will do from now on. How awful about that fireman image

On the subject of blacked out windows, I was going to suggest Ebay... you can get almost anything from there! lol

Also, I find that people either completely ignore "baby on board" signs or they respect them. I respect the distance between me and any car, but that is through my bad experience!
    But people either drive too closely, or they don't, regardless of a sticker/sign.

Sarah xx
  • It's a fair point Pink Toothbrush & Sarah- someone that drives right up your a** anyway probably would pay zero attention to a sticker!!

I'm just an err on the side of caution kinda girl and if makes even one person per journey give that extra wee bit of room than I think it's worth it. I know I do as a driver even though I'm a super cautious, give plenty of room driver anyway. Hubs mocks me for it sometimes lol.

OP xx
  • The original purpose of the signs was to alert emergency services but that was before car seats. For example when I was a baby it was common for babies to travel in a carrycot on the back seat. If there was a crash (even a mild one) the baby could be thrown about in the car and end up under a seat or be thrown clear and need to be found.
    However, let's be honest, what is more likely to be dislodged in a crash - your ??150 car seat which has been through 100 safety tests or a plastic sign stuck to the back windscreen with a rubber sucker? image

Personally I find the signs a little bit tacky (sorry to those who have them). I think it's the range of ones including "Mummy's Little Princess" and "Great-niece, twice-removed on board" that get me - ok slight exaggeration. :roll: I also find them a little patronising, as the others have said I wasn't planning on going into the back of the car anyway. They are definitely not an excuse to drive badly just because you have a child in the back. I'm sorry but if you are being distracted then pull over - continuing to drive is putting yourself and others in danger.

I also didn't want to cause a debate but personally I have never seen the point of them.
    H xx
  • Not after a debate, I know I want one, I was never in two minds just wanted to know how to overcome the blacked out window issue.

Thanks for the links ladies xx
  • There has been some interesting replies on here but I do hope the original poster got the answers she was after as it seems that many posters are debating the need for them which wasn't OP's question.
    xx
  • Sorry OP, didn't mean to start a debate! Just wondered about the safety thing out of curiosity because I never considered a safety aspect xx hope you find what you are looking for!

• I also assumed if you're driving cautiously people will understand why and be more patient if they know you have a baby on board but again I'm just basing that on how I drive but perhaps it makes little or no difference to most.

This just reminded me, before we had LO I said I didn't see the point of them then on the way home from hospital I was laughing at my OH for driving at about 10 miles an hour and I said I get the point of them now, it's so that other drivers know why you are driving like a 10 year old girl :lol:
  • Lol MI that is SO going to be my Hubby!
  • Thanks ladies, I did get what I needed. OMG so true if Hubby doesn't choose to drive like a 10 year old I will make him!! xx