Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Swine Flu - what do I do?

Hi again sorry if this has been done before.

Just found out a lady in our building (6th Floor I am on 1st) has been off for 5 days with Swine Flu. Should I be here - is it safe for my baby?

Anyone else had this experience?

x
Curly 16+5

Replies

• I would just give your GP surgery a call hun and explain about being pregnant and ask for advice. I know we can have one of the meds for it but not sure what the policy is as pregnant woman dont seem to have been mentioned much.

But obviously just make sure you wash your hands religously with anti bac stuff and avoid any used tissues or any one who may sneeze run in opposite direction. Keep your desk santised too.

Has she been into work while carrying the flu? If not then I cant see it being a problem TBH.

xxxxx
    28+4
  • thanks all.
    She was at work yes when she had it.

Have text my MW. Will let you know what she says.

• I have just come home and am working from home today and tomorrow as a woman in my office's friend has it!! I told them I wasnt comfortable being there while she was and they let me come home to work....It's really scarry image
    Curlygal - I would be interested in what your MW says - I might call my GP surgery and see what they say too......
  • Ok update is - text MW and she replied with call GP surgery urgently - called them and they are shut til 2pm so will give you another update then

• Guessing they may tell you to avoid work for a while. What have work said about it?
    xxxxx
  • They are rubbish, just said it was fine and havent even told anyone except me!

Called Docs - am waiting for a call back

• Someone in my office has it too - I have contacted our H&W team for advice, but have not heard anything back. I'll let you know what they say...

In the generic email which got sent round our place, it said that unless you have had prolonged contact with the infected person, then you should be ok.
    xx
  • Curlygal - I'm shocked that it took your work that long to let you know someone is off with it, especially seeing as she's been in while she had it! I find it incredible that workplaces can do this - my work never told me when a collegue was off with what they thought was shingles, luckily it turned out to not be that at all, but I had a mini panic that I wasn't kept in the loop!

Hope the docs are getting back to you right now...

Em 19+1 x x x
  • OK spoke to doctor who wasnt overally helpful saying I dont know what difference it makes you being pregnant - I was trying not to get angry!

She said if it was bad they would have the health people in giving the antidote.

Feel a bit better that I have spoken to a doctor at least but hey ho.

Cath - let me know what your people say

• Here's the reply I got - not much help really...

Hi Catherine

I understand that you sent an email through to XXX and he has asked me to reply. I apologise for the delay in responding to your email but I was seeking advice. At present we are unable to confirm the Unit(s) involved but what we can assure you is that your Unit is not involved. What we can tell you is the member of staff of the Unit concerned had been absent from the office for 10 days before they started experiencing symptoms therefore had not been in close contact with anyone from the office during the incubation period and a deep clean has taken place around the area where they work.

I have also obtained information from the NHS Direct Website on information for pregnant women concerned about swine flu. I've copied and pasted the relevant info for ease of reference but you may also wish to go to the website yourself. The web address is http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/QA.aspx

Advice from NHS Direct for pregnant women is as follows:

Does swine flu pose special risks in pregnant women?
    During pregnancy, you may have an increased risk of complications from any type of flu, especially in the second and third trimester.

Can I take antiviral drugs if I am pregnant?
    Yes, on the advice of a doctor. The Department of Health has purchased Relenza, an inhaled antiviral drug that treats flu without reaching the developing fetus.

An expert group reviewed the risk of antiviral treatment in pregnancy, which is extremely small - much smaller than the risk posed by the symptoms of swine flu.

Will pregnant women get preference for a swine flu vaccine?
    It will be months before a swine flu vaccine becomes available. When it is available, there will be guidelines on which groups of people are a greater priority for vaccination. Go to Who will be a priority for vaccination with the H1N1 swine flu vaccine?

Any changes or additional information will be updated on the Health Safety and Wellbeing website in due course. I hope you'll find this helpful and useful.

:roll:

• Hi
    A child in my sons class has got swine flu, I was really worried as I am just 5 weeks pregnant,

We had to go to the school for a meeting with some Doctors, I asked for a word in private as my son doesn't know yet, they were great and reassured me there is little chance and if my son did catch swine flu, he would be treated and then I could be treated too, by a different drug,

I must say I felt much better after that.

the whole school has been given Tami Flu tablets, that was last week and everything seems to be ok.
    Hope that helps.
    Take care
    D x