Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

O/T has anyone had this or know someone who has?

My grandad has had dementia for about the last year and my grandma finds it very hard but wont accept any help, i think as she is old and so stuck in her ways so myself and my fater mostly help out when we can however both work full time. Anyway, at xmas my grandad fell over, nothing serious, he has very thin skin and cut his arm but was absolutley fine. He then had a little fall a few weeks back, again, nothing serious and he was fine. However last weekend his arm started to swell up, mainly his elbow and so he went to A and E to get it seen to. He was told he had an old fracture and to go to a different hospital today (yes, nearly a week later!!) So anyway, my dad is taking him to the hospital to get it sorted this morning.

I was just wondering has anyone had this happen before? We think the hospital are thinking he has done it at xmas when he fell and not realised it was broken and so it has healed wrong. But my concearn is what they will do if this id the case??? My grandad is so old and frale and i am a bit concearned about what they will do, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this kind of thing. I know its nothing to do with pregnancy and babies lol but thought someone may be able to help!

Replies

• I know its a different body part but i had a broken eye scoket for over 6 weeks and was in no pain with it just had double vision, so i guess some breaks are not as painful as others so can get missed. Also old people dont like to bother doctors do they.
    Shelley
    xx
  • im a carer and have heard of this a few times..... and normally they dont bother with old fractures or broken bones as they have already started to heal themselves. and if it isnt causing them any major pain there isnt much they will do about it!
    maybe the recent fall has disturbed it in some way and causing the swelling, i suppose they could put his arm in a cast but it in my opinion that wouldnt fully fix the problem!
    if there is lots of swelling or brusing make sure they check for blood clots, as just the slightest bang can cause blood clots on the ederly and it quite often goes undetected!!
    hope all goes well whatever the outcome!

krystle
    36+2
  • Thanks for replies, i have just heard from my dad who just got back from taking my grandad to hospital. Apparently my grandad has bad arthritis (sp?) which we werent aware of and it is an old problem which i think has been triggered from him falling more recently. I dont think they are planning to do anything,thee swelling seems to be going down and my grandad is not in as much pain. Thanks though, i can stop worrying about him now lol x