Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

To Doula or not to Doula?

Hi girls

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a doula, or knows anyone that did?

I saw some of The Business of Being Born, and while I know it's American, there are a few doulas in the UK too (and quite a lot in Brighton, where we live).

I'm just a bit worried because DH faints if I so much as cut my finger and show him - in fact he went a funny shade of grey just when I told him about the blood tests I'll have to have at my booking in visit on Monday - and we both think that he will be next to useless in the delivery room - or take all the attention away from me as he crashes to the floor! image) I really don't want my mum there (I couldn't handle her telling me how to do it, or pointing out that I shouldn't be doing that!!), so wondered if anyone had good things to say about doulas?

Thanks!!

xxx

Replies

• if i could afford it i would have had one, i think they are a great idea.

Regards DH i thought the same of my DH, so asked my friend to be my birth partner, in the end DH was better than me, he said something took over hiim and made him cope

good luck

xxDBxx
  • I dont know much about doulas sorry, but there is a really interesting programme on Discovery Home and Health in the Mornings call Mum + 1 - its about british families that for one reason or another need a doula for extra support. Its quite interesting and explains more about what the doula actually does, Maybe worth having a look x x
  • Hi hun i cant really help you on a personal level because i've never used a doula, but there did used to be a programme on discovery home and health, about just that. It basicallly followed the women from when they first met their doula up until they gave birth and beyond. The doula were absolutely amazing and would call round and help with the washing and ironing ect, more of a friend than someone your hiring! Unfortunately i'm not sure what the programme was called but if you try googling it, it might come up on a search x x
  • Ah, thanks Mrs Mummy, I might have a look. Actually, we don't have Sky, but I might ask a friend who does if she can SkyPlus it for me!! xx
  • Great minds think alike mrs mummy, we must have been writing that at the same time. Glad you know the name of it x
  • Hi there, my sister had a doula for two of her babies births.....her hubby isnt great at births (going by her 1st lol)....Doulas are birthing experts and can really be excellent birthing partners (much better than a friend etc). They are not only a great support for you but for hubby aswell!

I have a Doula lined up for my babies birth,

Doulas can be expensive but my sister would say to you they are worth every penny....xxx

• Thanks so much Mrs Kittyboo. Sounds like I need to do some research. I think it would set DH's mind at ease too - he is already asking me if I'm *sure* there's nobody else I want there with me, because he's so convinced he will just be unconscious! Sadly the only friends I am close enough to to want there are still in Australia, where I lived for 4 years until recently image
    Thanks everyone, appreciate your thoughts (and the info re: that TV programme!) xx
  • have you checked out the doula website:

http://www.doula.org.uk/

Very important that you meet and LIKE your doula....otherwise she may get on yr nerves during birth lol.

And make sure she is comfortable with yr birthing plan - i.e. if you want a water birth....make sure she is comfortable with this..and maybe it wld be helpful if she has attended a water birth before.....so that she knows what to do at the time..i.e. temp is correct, you are dilated enough, what to do if labour slows, different positions in the water etc etc

xxx
  • hi there ,sorry to gatecrash but im so intersested this post has come up ,because ive just been looking online on how to train to become a doula!! image i really want to be a midwife but its near on impossible to get on a course without doing general nursing first ...sooooo i thought i would attempt at training to be a doula ....id LOVE to be someones birth partner ,after being through labour twice i really feel i could support a lady in labour knowing what she was going through but the problem is people dont just want anyone to do that its either a close friend or doula if not there oh .....sorry bit pointless posting but just want to wish u luck with your baby and your desicion about a doula image xxx
  • I had a doula but didnt have to pay as she was my mum haha!!!

I think if i had the money (and my mum wasnt one) then i would probably like to have one as it is someone that knows more than your oh etc and can advise you on things such as positions, breathing etc also alot of hospitals try and make you feel you have to do or have certain things and when your in labour you just tend to do everything they tell you to and doula can stick up for you abit and not let them put pressure on you about certain things!!! Also they can be a great help after the birth!!!

xx