Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anterior Placenta - Fetal movements

Hi I recently found out I have an Anterior Placenta. I was so worried as I am 21 weeks and have not felt the baby move hardly at all just the tiniest sporadic flutters that you probably could pass as gas! This is my 5th pregnancy. I have three children and had one late miscarriage due to placental abruption. All four pregnancies I was able to feel baby kick from at least 13 weeks and they were strong! I have been so worried in this pregnancy.

I had my 20 week scan early on this week and was told I have an anterior placenta which is cushioning my babys' movements but reassured me he is a little wriggler and is very active. I'm happy he is healthy and active however I would prefer if I could feel his movements as I feel this makes you feel even more so connected to your baby during pregnancy. I was just wondering for those of you going through the same - do you feel your babys' movements? at what gestation did you start to feel definate movement/kicks/flutters if we ever will do? I'm sure we must feel something by the time we are ready to pop! image

XO

Replies

• Hey i had an anterior placenta, it made a difference to movements at first but from about 27 weeks they were really strong and seemed the same as what other people were reporting.

i just did a lot of taking 30 mins each day to lie in the quiet, drink cold water and eat Haribo tangfastics (good excuse) to concentrate on movements 🙂

a girl I work with was pregnant at the same time Also with an anterior placenta and didn’t feel anything till 23 weeks. I’m sure everything is fine.

you could consider a Doppler But there are lots of pros and cons arguements about them.

• Hiya not sure if this same but my placenta was to the front on second.. i was in and out of hospital as i felt little or no movement but  i didnt find out till i was in labour it was to the front no one told me.. i didnt even feel my contractions. Only went to hospital cause i was bleeding and im rhesus negative. Told me waters were gone and i was almost 5 cm. Just taut i was having few Braxton hick at the time.

I did feel all the bigger movements through my pregnacy just not the little ones. If your ever unsure pop to hospital for scan. 

You will bond with baby and like the girl said before take time to give baby a little nudge ice cold organe juice and a boost bar was my trick to appreciate the bump and kicks. 

Best of luck xx

• Hi Jodiek89,

I have an anterior placenta and i could not feel movement at all up until 20 weeks and they were the tiniest movements which were barely noticeable and i didn't feel them often only once to twice a day if i was lucky. I am now 23 weeks and i have just started feeling her move more often and her movements are stronger but can still often be unnoticeable.

Try not worry too much as im sure baby is fine, you'll feel those little movements soon enough :)

I would say if you are concerned though you could get yourself a handheld doppler. I bought one from amazon for just under £20 and it has put my mind at ease a hell of a lot. Every time i am concerned i just search for her heartbeat as i was worried about going to the hospital all the time as i thought soon enough they'd get fed up of seeing me. I am sure midwives come across many pregnant women who are worried about their baby's movements and its only normal to be anxious.

I also must add that i mainly feel movements when i am wearing leggings and where they go around my belly i can feel her kicking in that area (they must be too tight).

Hope you feel movements soon!xx

• Hi jodiek89

i also have an anterior placenta. 23 weeks today. Have felt her move for a while now but only in certain positions.

agaib a cold drink and something sugary to eat seems to do the trick. 

if I sit with my legs up in front of me, rest one arm at the top of my bump so it pushes down slightly have a cold drink and something sugary then rub my belly and talk to the baby that usually does the trick. 

I wasn’t even told I had an anterior placenta- I discovered it on my scan notes - she didn’t actually tell me. So waiting to see the midwife to find out some more info. Google has too many horror stories 

• I have an anterior placenta. Started feeling flutterings from 17 weeks and slightly stronger, more uncomfortable pangs between 20-23 weeks - all very much to the sides and low down, primarily on my right hand side. I'm now 26 weeks and felt baby kick for the first time two nights ago (strong enough for my partner to feel it too). They have been making their presence known every few hours since then - I'm not sure if I've grown more attuned to the feeling or focussing more, though. Again, everything I've felt over past few days has been on the side, usually when I'm reclining/lying down.

Hope that helps! 

• Thank you so much for the replies! :)

Within the last week since I posted this I've been feeling him kick! It's the best feeling in the world. Every time I'm sat down he wakes up and starts to move around. It's such a wonderful feeling and so reassuring that everything is OK. I actually have a doppler at home and tried using it too early on but now is the perfect time!

Good luck to you all with your pregnancies and congratulations for those who already have their littles ones in their arms!

I'm glad I opened up this thread for anyone else who is unsure aswell. Everything seems to happen so suddenly I can't wait to see my belly move around so the children can see their little brother :D

XOX