Scombroid Poisoning - I'm terrified
I decided to treat myself to a rare delicacy of tuna steak.
After my first bite, the reaction was nearly immediate. Flushed face, headache out of nowhere. Initially I think ... no big deal. Might be the spice I used.
What alarmed me was the pain in my esophagus/stomach. I recognized it from when I got an allergic reaction to soy a while back. Same pain. Thought it was indigestion. Braved onward. Pain got worse.
I stopped. Did some research. Scombroid/histamine poisoning is a disease due to the ingestion of contaminated food (mainly fish). In scombroid poisoning, bacteria have grown during improper storage of the dark meat of the fish and the bacteria produce scombroidtoxin. The effects can manifest within as soon as 2 minutes.
I threw what I could up (I threw out 2/3 of the tuna, and hadn't eaten much to begin with) and took 25mg of benadryl as recommended. That was 15 minutes ago. The symptoms are subsiding. My face feels cooler already, the pain almost gone.
I'm TERRIFIED of the effects that might have on the baby ... is it safe? It's Saturday. The doctor isn't around. What do I do?