Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

New job and finding out I’m pregnant

hi everyone 

i have just been offered a new job, I start in the new year but a week after accepting and handing my notice in at my current place of work I fount out I am pregnant. 

my husband and I are thilled and it was planned although we didn’t expect it to happen on our first try, I came off the pill and got pregnant straight away, last time I came off the pill it took 6 months for my periods to return and another 6 months to catch but now I’m worried about starting a new job and then thinking badly of me, can they change their mind about giving me the job? 

Can I keep it from them? When do I have to tell them? i am just over 6 weeks, I will be 8 when I start and the job is temporary pending a Secondment, the end date is a month before baby is due so I know I would be able to stay for the entire time of my contract but if the role does become perm I don’t think they will keep me on which I am fine with.

any advice is welcome 

thanks x

Replies

• Options

From a manager's viewpoint, I would rather my employees inform me immediately if they are pregnant.

It gives us a chance to prepare for what's to come and, if neceasary, to train replacements while the mother is on maternity leave. It also gives us and idea of the restrictions we'll need to keep and eye out for.

• Options

YOu have to tell them by 25 weeks i think ... no they shouldn’t withdraw the job offer but to be honest you never do know so personally I wouldn’t tell them especially because the job is temp too it does sound ideal if it finishes just before baby is due but remember they won’t pay materity pay 

hope that help :) 

• Options

I wouldn’t tell them yet. As long as you’re safe doing the job, I’d leave it. Prove yourself for a couple of weeks/ months, then tell them.xxx

• Options

Thanks ladies,

I’m not going to tell them straight away, my contract ends a month before baby would be due and I don’t want to give them a reason to dislike me before seeing me do my job, my pregnancy wouldn’t interfere with the work I do and I get a day off during the week meaning I can book any appointments for my days off.

that said I’ve had a bleed and as I’ve had a missed miscarriage previously I have been given a date for a scan next week so It will obviously depend how that goes before I even think about telling them (or anyone else for that matter as due to past experience my husband and I decided to not even tell family until after the 12 week mark) x

• Options

That sounds practical. What kind of a bleed? Brown? Pink? Light or heavy?xxx

• Options

It was red like the start of my period Friday night, brown by morning and nothing at all since. I rang the early pregnancy unit and they said they can’t do anything because my gp hadn‘t referred me but because of previous miscarriage she could book me in during my 8th week for a scan to make sure everythings okay and said if I had any more bleeding to contact my gp. X

• Options

Fingers crossed pinky. If it’s stopped, that’s a good sign.xx 

• Options

I bled for a good 6 weeks with my LB first was red then brown and continued the whole time until about 12 weeks was very scary but everything was ok with us FC for you x

• Options

thanks, hoping things are okay and trying not to worry too much, I’m just glad I don’t have to wait until 12 weeks for a scan x

• Options

Glad everything turned out okay for you Lilian, I bled with my son too but not until later on and he’s 5 now so I feel new to it all again, forget how much worry comes with pregnancy x

• Options
    Hi, I got a new job which I am starting when I am pregnant by 8 weeks. This is my permanent job. because of my permanent do they redundant my job or I will continue after my due?