Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pregnancy scans and dates?

Hi, my ex partner has PCOS and very irregular periods. She went for a check up yesterday due to stomach pains and was told she was pregnant. She was then sent for a scan where she was initially told she was 6 weeks pregnant. The tech then did an internal scan and said she was actually 7w1d. We last slept together unprotected on 18th sept. She had some bleeding on sept 20th (not sure if this was period or implant bleeding and pain now). We then had protected sex on the 29th sept. That was the last time we slept together. She had since told me she slept with someone during November. How accurate are the scans especially as they changed by a week? Is it possible the baby could be mine even though it would then mean she would be 14 weeks pregnant? Is it possible for the weeks to be confused during the scan or for 14 week baby to be developing very slowly and so appears as a 7 week baby? Please help!

Replies

• Hi, 

Didn't want to read and run as no one else has replied. I'm sorry to say but the scans are pretty accurate..... maybe give or take few days but definitely wouldn't be 7 weeks out. There's a huge difference between a 7 week scan(it would prob just be a little 'blob' on the screen) and 14 week scan would be more defined, you would be able to make out the shape of the baby etc. A baby doesn't develop slowly, if this is the case the baby would prob not make it and miscarry. I'm sorry to say but I wouldn't say that you would be the father if the last time you slept with her over 14 weeks ago. Sperm only live inside of a woman for roughly 3-5days, and the egg is only viable for 24 hours. I'm no expert but this is what say....if anyone else would like to give an opinion to help this guy out. 

I'm not sure what answer you're after, as you stated she's now your 'ex'. 

I'm sorry, I hope this gives you some piece of mind.