Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

how to treat piles?

Ouch!
I'm a regular user here, but am really embarrassed about this, so have created a new ID!

Yesterday afternoon was suddenly aware that sitting - or standing - hurt, and there was a nasty stinging sensation from my bottom.

After a bit of investigation (lovely) I found an enormous external pile. It's very sore to touch, and is making life a misery. Dashed out and got some Anusol, but it's done nothing to ease the pain. Have taken paracetamol in case that will help my discomfort, but nothing.
Haven't slept all night and am in agony! I never knew piles can be so painful.

Will see if I can see GP on Mondy - fat chance, they're always booked for weeks! - but meanwhile, does anyone have any tricks to help the pain?

I've been putting a hot flannel on the area, and that helps for a couple of minutes. A cold compress did nothing. Will see if I can find witch hazel, but I live in the middle of nowhere so chances are slim!

Thanks for listening, and am very grateful for any suggestions xx

Replies

• Options
    Good God. OH has just had a look and says it's the size of a duck egg! No wonder it's so bloody painful :cry:
  • Options
    Hey no need to be embarrassed at all i have had them and i know how awful they are and unfortunetly pregnancy can bring on the piles it is very common, ring your mw as she can prescribe something and if needs be she can get you in with your gp you shouldnt have to suffer, witch hazel is very good, so is a long soak in a warm bath try a bit of salt in it too, try also sitting on a hot water bottle keep using the anusol as it will start to shrink it but you got to keep using it, sorry you are in so much pain hope it eases soon xx

chloe 18+4 xx
  • Options
    if it is that bad i would ring nhs direct and see if they can give you any advice xx
  • Options
    preperaration H is AWESOME! get the gel as its really cooling. also if you can get into a hot bath and try and push it back up. if its too big then i suggest go and see your doctor.
    horrrible things, fingers crossed i havent had one being pregnant, but before my wedding i had them, i am sure they are stress related.
    good luck hope something works for you xxxxxx
  • Options
    Thanks girls. Sent OH out to get some Prep H, but nowhere had it. It's too big to push back in, and if anything has got worse instead of better.

Instead of doing battle with doctor's receptionists tomorrow morning, am getting OH to take me to nearest emergency GP. They may tell me there's nothing can be done, but hopefully they can give me something stronger.
  • Options
    Boots sell Prep H, I was told pushing in labour can give you piles so I got some just incase..... And Prep H was on the shelf.

Hope you feel better soon, nothing to add except what the others have already said
  • Options
    Saw the doctor. She said it was the biggest she's seen in years, and sent me to A&E.

A&E told me practice used to be to cut and drain them, but they no longer do that. After more poking and prodding, said they could operate to remove it - if I wasn't pregnant. Offered me stronger creams, then changed their mind - because I'm pregnant.

Told me to ice it - and gave me rubber gloves to make 'fingers' of ice with, so it gets right to the problem place image and are booking me in for an out-patients clinic (don't know when) in case it hasn't started healing.

• Options
    poor you!! all the suffering we go though to have babies eh!! worth it in the end but its a bugger when all these painful things you get cant be treated and you have to spent time in total pain, i have had a toothache and i only take one paracetoml if completely necessay but been pulling my hair out and of course wont pull it till babie has been born!!! just got to think it will go eventually it will go eventually!! xx
  • Options
    Oh Chloe, toothache is the worst thing, there's just no escaping the pain. Paracetemol don't touch the sides, do they? Poor you!
  • Options
    Ive got piles too and i was SO embarressed..its only one little lump that sticks out but if i go to the toilet then straining causes more to come out..the pregnancy books say ah just push em back in but that makes them worse and swell up i think..

Paracetemol is totally inaffective in pregnancy i have found and its never eased it for me all my aches and pains have been eased in the bath...i could live in there!!

The only thing thats eased my piles is a bath and lying on my left side for a bit..its the blood pooling and the babys weight bearing down that makes them worse

Ive also found mine are worse at night...They have really put me off sex as well..and was so embarressed about telling my partner but he wasnt bothered and rushed straight to the chemist for some anusol(what a name!!)

I have been told from the gp that they go after giving birth but the birthing process can also make them 10 times worse!!
  • Options
    Hi,

I had these a couple of weeks ago. Incredibly painful for about a week. I didn't think it was ever going to get better. I saw my doctor and she did prescribe some steriod ointment and suppositories. These were stronger than the stuff you get from the chemist. I was only allowed to use them for a max of 7 days due to the steriods, but they really worked quite quickly.

Also tried warm baths and paracetamol, and, don't laugh but sitting on a hot water bottle helped as well.

I would go back to your doctor and ask for something stronger because they can prescribe it for you even if pregnant.

I really feel for you because it is just so painful.

Hope it feels better soon.
  • Options
    Hi,

I had these a couple of weeks ago. Incredibly painful for about a week. I didn't think it was ever going to get better. I saw my doctor and she did prescribe some steriod ointment and suppositories. These were stronger than the stuff you get from the chemist. I was only allowed to use them for a max of 7 days due to the steriods, but they really worked quite quickly.

Also tried warm baths and paracetamol, and, don't laugh but sitting on a hot water bottle helped as well.

I would go back to your doctor and ask for something stronger because they can prescribe it for you even if pregnant.

I really feel for you because it is just so painful.

Hope it feels better soon.

Thanks Penguin,

The surgeon I saw at A&E this morning was going to give me a steroid cream, but the hospital pharmacy said no, it wasn't allowed for pregnant people. Grrr, I wish there would be some consistency. My GP gave me steroid cream for dermatitis, so I might try him again, if I can get an appointment!
    I have been using hot compresses & hot water bottles on it, but got a telling off - it will make it worse - and have been told cold is the way to go. Not quite so comforting to use, but am desperate and will try anything!
    The pain's not got any better yet, but I feel better for having done something and seen a doctor.

I felt a bit embarrassed showing my bottom to three separate people today, but I guess with pregnancy, it's only going to get worse and all dignity will be long left behind!
  • Options

I had a baby 10 weeks ago and got piles im in agony with them. do they ever clear up completely ? im losing more sleep thru these piles then i am my baby. I too am very embarressed and even had to tell my bf thru a text message coz i couldnt say it out loud. just want the pain to g away image

• Options

yummymummy30 i had piles with my first baby, nearly 4 years ago, mine went away by gently pushing them back in and trying not to strain and using cold babywipes on my bottom rather than tissue(softer and cooler), i never used any ointments for them, never got them again until now and am pregnant again 40weeks plus 2, so dont worry they do go 

• Options

Had piles but it was not painful,Had to go this morning nd thn after tht had a bath to clean the area-few hours later it started to pain-How worse cn it get!!! still healin from stitches cos had a baby nd now on top of tht got piles-Help!!!!!image

• Options

The whole of my body below the waist aches, have had piles before but this is far worse, am now 38 + 5 and cannot wait for labour to be honest as then hopefully things will begin to improve. Have been using anusol as worked in past but little relief this time. I'm not even constipated! Midwife has advised sex to induce labour but maven moving my legs is painful! image

• Options
    Wowwe I've never been in so much pain I'm 40+6. N the other day was v.constipated tried everything not to strain or push (as got it before n managed to push them back in no worries/creams/pills! Nothing!). So tried it again this time n just got bigger have been using that anusol and wipes all sorts it physically feels like I've sat on a bees nest I can't sit I can't stand can't walk (can't tell the oh as this kinda stuff freaks him) please help do I do sumin before labour or after? Will it pop? HHHEEEELLLLPPPP image
  • Options

I was driven crazy with the pain from piles and fissure, exhausted and no sleep, the pain alternated between itching, burning, stinging, aching and feeling like I had razor blades up bottom! I tried 3 different creams meant for piles and suppositories off gp, none worked and if anything made irritation feel worse, in the end, I know this sounds bizarre, I tried Cymex cold sore cream as I had some in house and figured if it stopped tingling and itching on lips and was safe near mouth it couldn't do any harm?! It worked straight away, it's cheap and has hardly any reported side effects and is ok in pregnancy/breastfeeding? I know its not what it's meant to be used for, but if it helps anyone else in as much discomfort as I was I had to share, I don't know if it will cure them, but stops pain and itching to get some sleep! 

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.

• Options

Hey All,

Ive been suffering with very painfull piles since my first baby 13 years ago.

I finially found something to help me, im pregnant for the 6th time and was fed up being in pain so prepaired to try anything!

1) i use normal plain vasaline on the area around the piles and small bit into the anus to keep it smooth. It doesnt sting or anything.

2) When i notice pressure comming of having to go for a poo i take a latex glove and instead if pushing i gently insert 1 finger and help the stuck poo out as far as i can feel.

3) I use suspositries to keep the inside looked after

4) I got a viber drink called vibergel off my gp which keeps the stool softer.

I can hand on hard say that my piles are gone, i also have been in A&E with heavy bleeding piles before, cried on the toilet, awake all night unable to sit move or lie down. Its one of the most painfull things ever and hard to discribe to anyone that never had them. 

Hope this helps you too ladies. Xx