Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone Worried About 12 wk Scan??

Hi All,
I am now 8+6 and due for my dating scan in a few weeks. I am so worried something will be wrong, like they won't be able to find a heartbeat. I started to tell people i am preggers but worried if it is bad news i will have to tell everyone. I know there is nothing i can do to prevent anything going wrong, but i am so worried!!
Anyone else the same?
I am so pleased to be pregnant but i still cant enjoy it all ( especially due to the constant sickeness!)
xx

Replies

• I feel the same, I have literally just found out I am pregnant, about 4 weeks although my GP has requested an early dating scan as my last period was abnormal (but Im pretty sure that Im still very early as I knew when I ov this month). I too want to enjoy it but dont feel that I can until I know that everything is ok, really worried that Im gonna have an mc or it will just be an empty sac :\( I know that this is the risky period up until 12weeks + which is why Im trying to dampen my excitement (and oh's and our parents!!).

Im sure everything will be fine for you though.

• Yeah this is my first. I am glad i am not the only one feeling this way. If it was an empty sac would you stil have all the norm pregnancy symptoms like i am? How do you get to have an early scan? I was not offered it on my first visit to midwife.
    Thanks for your help!
    xxx
  • everyone feels like this and iam on my second pregnancy and its not any easier! the only way you get a early scan is if you've had problems in past pregnancies or in pain or bleeding,iam worried on this pregnancy cos ive got no symptoms and i had to have a early scan 2 weeks ago cos i was bleeding and found out iam having twins,everything was ok,saw both heartbeats but iam still worried about my next scan which i will be 14 weeks pregnant which is in 5 weeks,so ive got agers to wait,iam sure everything will be ok,try and relax and enjoy your pregnancy

sarah
    xx

http://bd.lilypie.com/sg4fp1/.png

• Have had my lo now but when I was due for my first scan I was really worried that it would turn out that I wasnt pregnant to begin with. I think because you have so little advise/help at the Drs its hard to beleive its all real.
    Dont worry though it will be fine.
  • The only reason I am getting an early scan is because I could be 8 weeks but more likely 4 due to my last period only lasting a day. My GP was the one who suggested it, she is so lovely and supportive - I feel really lucky. She even said that I can ring and speak to her at anytime if I have any pain, bleeding or even if I just want a chat for reassurance, bless her!!!

• This is my constant worry too. I booked a private scan at 6 weeks and all was fine. I then read on the internet that 6-8 weeks was a risky time and that once you are 8 weeks and have seen a heartbeat the chance of m/c decreases alot.
    Although the scan cost around a ??100 is was worth it to have some reassurance.

Littlep
    (7+2)
  • I sympathise. I'm pg with my first and have my first doc's appointment on Wed. I'm hoping for an early scan as I have no idea of dates due to crazy period lengths, but we'll see.

Everytime I think my symptons are calming down I then get worried that i've lost my pg; i've taken (i think) 7 pg tests since I found out almost a week ago ! How crazy is that.

I know I wont relax till after I have the scan and see a healthy bean !
  • I am so worried, one minute I am really excited and planning and the next I am trying to remember that I am only 6 weeks and to just take it slowly. Every night I hope to see an envelope from the hospital with my scan date when I get home and nothing. Every twinge I'm worried that it is normal (although I have stopped being so scared that it's an eptopic pregnancy). Don't think I will relax until I have had my scan although it seems to be between that 6th and 9th week that most people have a mc, so I am just trying to take everything very easy. Even after my first scan I am worried about Downs as I am over 35, but hubby says to just relax and enjoy it!
  • how weird - i've been feeling like that myself. i found out ten days ago and have had no sickness, am not overly tired. sore boobs and a few stretching feelings downstairs are the only symptons.

i regesitered at the doctors today and told the gp did not need to see me but just booked me in with mid wife at 9 weeks for booking appt. thats two and a half weeks ago.

my pg tests have gone blank now so i feel in a strange limbo land where i'm telling close friends i;m pg but starting to doubt it. i just owuld like someone to check me over and say all is well theres a little heart beating away and i'll be happy till week nine but right now i'm just really worried about it.

glad to hear i'm not the only one but it really seems a bit unfair that you are left to wonder like this.
  • I'm petried of the first scan! Neither of us can believe I am actually pregnant, especially as I haven't had any symptoms, and now I've seen other replies about being worried about there being an empty sac, I've managed to convince myself thats what's happening to me!

Was crying all last night to hubby about it, and am spending the morning at work trying to find out about it on the internet but not coming up with anything useful.

Eeek....why do we put otherselves through so much worry?!
  • You'll be fine hun, I didn't even have a 12 week scan, as I didn't find out I was pregnant tilla round 13 weeks so I missed out on that...so I had to wait even longer to see our LO (20 week scan)....it is so so so amazing though hun, I agree though its very daunting as you always expect the worse but once you come out of the Sonographers room you are so estatic (sp!) and very happy...image

Won't be long hun!

Han xx

http://lilypie.com/pic/080703/pY5U.jpg

http://bd.lilypie.com/nPPXp1/.png

• Hi, i feel the same!! I'm 8+1 (i think!!) & am very nervous about the scan! I made the mistake of tellin absolutly every1, & wishing I didnt now! I'm sure everything will be fine though!! I've not got a scan date yet, been checking my mail everyday to! Got midwife app 12/8!!! Good Lcuk all!! x
  • Hi all,
    I think it is such a shame that they don't make early scans standard! The first stage is so difficult, worrying about everything that might go wrong. Although I was talking to a friend of mine, who has two small children, and she commented that actually you start worrying in the early weeks, and it never stops! She said first you worry about MC, then you worry about something going wrong later, then the birth, then the early days, then them falling over or hurting themselves or getting sick...she said that it is basically the beginning of the joys of parenthood! Funnily, that somehow made me feel better!

But I must confess, the way I dealt with being so worried about problems was, like littlep, to book an early scan. We had one at 8+2, and it was such a relief to see everything was looking good. It has relaxed me slightly. I know that for a lot of people, it is an unbelievable extravagance, but if you are able to, I would recommend it. I have relaxed since, and am beginning to be able to enjoy it.

Even with out that, it is worth remembering that 75% (I believe) of pregnancies are absouluty fine, so the odds are in your favour!

Hugs to you all,

Ally xx
  • Wow i didn't realise so many people were in the same boat! I have also started telling family and friends( some people now know who i didn't want to know!) I guess your right this is the start of all the worrying and we will have it for the rest of our lives!
    Can anyone tell me how i go about getting a private scan?

xxxx
  • I just googled 'Private pregnancy scans in X'. Some hospitals also have early pregnancy units so it maybe worth checking with them as well. x
  • hi

im feeling exactly the same.

very paranoid about it all. im about 6-7 weeks. ive had no vomitting yet, just sick feelings, sore boobs, extreme tiredness, and some cramping/stretching feelings down there.

im also convinced that there will be no heartbeat at the scan and that i'd have had a missed miscarriage.

i still cant believe im pregnant - because we werent even trying, i was on the pill, ive got pcos and i just never thought it would happen so easily for me.

i just really want to get to the 12 weeks mark, have the scan and see things are as they should be.
  • your worries are quite normal. i was quite anxious the week running up to my 12 week scan, it was such a relief to see that there was actually something there!! BUT they never looked or listened for heartbeat didn't hear that til my 16 week midwife check!!
  • hi ladies

i think this is all normal, i found the wait for the 1st scan the absolute hardest bit of the whole pregnancy. Im now 38 weeks. I had to put off my scan date for a whole week too as i just couldnt attend, it was agony! Then i was put forward a week to what i thought so was actually 14 weeks by first scan and a much more advanced looking bean than i thought! A little person rather than a bean! The wait was horrid. I had a symptomless pregnancy until 17 weeks when a growing tummy and movements were my only symptoms. I simply did not believe it, i thought that id have an empty sac or simply no evidence of anything and they'd tell me i couldnt read a test! :lol:

the rest of the pregnancy has flown though, it was only a 6 week wait to 20 week scan after that and then by then there were regular movements to reassure me. Its only now ive finished work and started thinking about the birth (and how much i want the birth!) that time is stood still again.

There are no words that can really reassure any of you in this tricky time, other than to say everyone goes through this. You don't have to be throwing your guts up or even to feel any different for this amazing thing to be happening to you. Earlier scans are an option but (as awful as it sounds) they only mean the baby is ok in that split second - i just felt until the first trimester was over they wouldnt offer me any real reassurance and i just preferred to wait. We only told nearest and dearest so didnt tell everyone else till after 1st scan at 14 weeks. That was personal choice though, and there's also something to be said for the argument that things going wrong in early pregnancy is a fact of life and one everyone would understand and want to support you through. Best of luck xxx
  • It's really nice to know that I'm not the only one-by far!! I am 11+5 and have my scan in just over a week and the wait seems agonising. I just want to know that there is a little something in there! I have had loads of symptoms and no bleeding etc so I should just trust my body, and trust God that all will be fine, but still I'm terrified of miscarriage. I'm sure I didn't feel this paranoid when I was pregnant with my daughter!

Very good point to remember: Rather than 1 in 4 pregnancies ending in miscarriage (which is what I keep thinking of...) 75% of pregnancies survive!! Same thing I know!!

• i have my first scan today i have been up all night i am 11/2 and scared there is nothing there lol but reading this has helped thank you.