Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

cant be right, and whats wrong with me?

hi ladies, im apparently over 8 weeks preg as last af was 1st july, and this is what they took my due date from, i defo didnt concieve then as i didnt have sex while i was on my period! i was on for a week so it surely must be after then that i concieved????im confused!

also, im really tired (go sleep at 10pm) and clumsy (fell up the stairs twice already today) and i feel really fat already (my jeans are tight) is this normal?

thanks. ashy xx

Replies

• Hi there

I know it is really confusing but that is how they decide on the due date based on first day of last period, even tho conception was probably two weeks later. Really bizarre. Thats probably why lots of people go overdue.

My jeans felt really tight from about 6 weeks onwards and I had to start getting creative with all my trousers quite soon after that. Its amazing how quickly my hips went out even tho my baby was just a tiny little kidney bean!!

Take care of yourself and hope all goes really well for you. You'll have a much better idea of your due date at your 12 week scan.

Shan
    40+5
    xxx
  • Hi Ashy,
    when your due date is calculated, they take the first day of your last period as the date to count from. most ladies ovulate around day 14 of their cycle so you're not actually pregnant for the first 2 weeks! they do this cos women are so different and mostly dont know the exact date they conceived. this is why it is perfectly normal to give birth anywhere between 37- 42 weeks of pregnancy.
    so you are classed as 8 weeks pg even tho you hadnt actually conceived! does that make sense?
    Naomi x
  • tis quite confusing...my last period started on the 2nd dec 2007, when i had my dating scan by that calculation i should have been 10 weeks but i was actually 11+2 sooo it doesnt make sense anyway lol! x

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/19/1996/199613.png

• Unfortunately they calculate your due date based on a 28 day cycle which not every woman has. I had the same problem during my last pregnancy where the date the dr had worked out would have meant I had concieved during af. In the end I had an appointment with the consultant & he sorted it out. This time I know my cycle was 30 days (I ov on day 16) so when they asked me the date of the 1st day of my last period this time I told them it was 2 days later than what it was & my date & my scan have both matched up exactly for once!!!! It seems to me that its near time drs stopped assuming all womens cycles were the same length.

Good luck & hopefully when you have your scan it will showyour true due date xx
  • thanks ladies, yes i understand now, only 3 weeks until my first scan so im looking forward to that, altough a little nervous, what happens at the first scan? xx
  • Hi Ashy
    i think every area does their scans a bit different- but mine was literally 10 mins! she just asked when last period was, then scanned tummy and checked how many babies, if baby was in the right place, if placenta was in right place, then measured baby to calculate the due date. the date they give u is more accurate than going by your period date, but mine matched up anyway.
    if you get a nice sonographer they might point things out to you like arms and legs etc and give u some pics!
    i think that was about it tho.
    Naomi x