Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First pregnancy (pregnant nurse)

After taking what seems like a 100 different pregnancy test. I am more then sure now that I am pregnant. I am 27 years old and this will be my first baby, so I’m a little nervous. I am early so anywhere from 4 to 5 weeks.  I am a nurse at an animal hospital where I administer chemo therapy drugs to patients, take x rays and run C.T /Radiation therapy machines. I am nervous to tell my job before I am done with my first trimester, since miscarriage is more common during this time. I just want to avoid exposing myself to harmful radiations ! Any advice ladies ? 

Replies

• X-rays during pregnancy don't increase the risk of miscarriage or cause problems in the unborn baby, such as birth defects and physical or mental development problems.

However, if a pregnant woman has an X-ray and is exposed to radiation there is a very small increased risk that the baby may go on to develop cancer in childhood. This is why the dose of radiation used in an X-ray is always as low as possible.

During dental X-rays, lead aprons are no longer routinely used to protect the abdomen or pelvis as most dental X-rays don't affect this area. Also, the dose of radiation in dental X-rays is so low there's virtually no risk to the unborn baby.

However, in very rare cases, the angle of the X-ray beam needed to take a dental X-ray may affect the pelvic area. If you need a dental X-ray like this that can't wait until you've had your baby, your dentist may cover your abdomen with a lead apron while the X-ray is carried out. xx

• edited Apr 17, 2019 8:05PM
    @Jramos0313 I work in radiotherapy. You probably receive a very low dose but I think you might need to tell your work. It will depend in what you exactly do. Do you know are you a classified worker based on your annual dose? They will need to do a risk assessment and might need to adjust the tasks you do. Yes it is early to tell them but you'll only need to tell your manager.