Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Does anyone else work as a carer?

Hi I’m currently 5 weeks pregnant and I work as a carer who’ve includes me using moving equipment and rolling people etc, just wondering if there’s anyone else with this kinda job and is it safe? I’m so worried all the time and every little twinge I’m getting  thinking it something bad 

Replies

• Hi I’m in the similar situation, except I’m only 3 weeks pregnant. My job involves working with difficult young people. I don’t know when to tell my boss. But I don’t tell them I’ll be expected to use physical intervention. 
  • It takes quite a while normally before the baby grows out of the safety of your pelvis and becomes 'vulnerable' so I wouldn't worry too much yet. The best bet is to talk to your midwife and ask their advice, you may be in a position that you'll need to tell work quite early if they'll need to put you on different duties. :smile:

• I would not risk it, moving and handling can cause miscarriage even in early stages. I work as a carer and told my employer as soon as I found out. They have a responsibility to make sure you and your baby are safe and will put you on light duties until after your baby is born. It really ain't worth taking the risk keeping it quite and continuing to be lifting and moving people.