Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Morning sickness, depression, just generally feeling hopeless.

Hi everyone. I’m 7 weeks pregnant and have emetaphobia which is fear of vomiting. I’m really struggling with pregnancy nausea which has made me so miserable and depressed. I have no energy or motivation to do anything. My sink is full of pots, my house is a mess and my washing basket is full. I just feel so rotten like I want to stay in bed all day- impossible with a one year old!! The doctor prescribed me metaclopromide which I have been taking nightly for the past 4 days and it’s helped with the nausea- I still feel sicky and have an awful taste in my mouth, but not nauseas. It’s also meant I’ve stopped crying but I’m still feeling utterly miserable and now also drained and tired.

for baby number 1, I had no sickness. I think this is due to the fact that I was taking Mirtazapine (which is an antiemetic antidepressant). I’m so tempted to take this again because I was so much happier, but it’s a nightmare to get off- I could take a lower dose so the sedative effects aren’t as strong? It also isn’t pregnancy safe- BUT my little girl is absolutely perfect, healthy and very clever!

i don’t even know what I’m asking here, I just feel like I cannot carry on like this and would like advice or something... anything! X

Replies

• Hi, I know you posted this a while back. All I can recommend is going to your GP and see what they advise. I'm not familiar with the drug you are on. Maybe it takes a while for it to take full effect. You could also ask if there are any alternative medication you can take, if it's not pregnancy safe. No point in having one more thing to worry about.
  • I would also suggest to visit your GP. It's so natural to feel like you do, and with you having the fear of sickness its alot worse for you! The GP will know the best step that suits you, my suggestion would be to ask if you can go back onto the Mirtazapine, and then near the end of your pregnancy start to cut the dose down and eventually wean yourself off it. You need to be in your best head space for growing your little baby so dont hold back! Xx