Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

3 positives and 5 negatives??

Hi guys! I currently have a 15-month-old little boy. After I had him, I got put on the nexplanon birth control as it was the best option for me. Fast forward to about a week ago, I started having pregnancy symptoms. It started out with dreams that I was pregnant, which was my number one clue with my son and the reason I took a test (besides AF being over a week late). When I found out about my son, I was exactly 5 weeks. Keep in mind, my doctor tested me a couple weeks prior to finding out I was pregnant, when I went in to order my birth control. I tested negative, but I was actually 3 weeks pregnant. So about a week ago, I started having the dreams and some symptoms like my face breaking out. I took a test in the evening time on the 12th and got a faint positive. Took one that next morning with FMU, and got another faint positive. Went to a clinic that does free tests, negative. Went to a pathology lab and got blood work done and waited 2 hours for results, negative. Took a few more tests, negative. But then I realized that the tests I got positives with were early detection tests. The ones I tested negative with, were not. So today I went and got a box of FRER and a box of Equate early detection tests. The equate came out faint positive, and the FRER came out negative; but I did test in the middle of the afternoon. Throughout the 4 days it’s been since I first got my faint positive, my symptoms have intensified. Headache for the past 3 days, mood swings, swollen breasts (not tender), stomach cramps, back cramps, and today I had to leave work early because of all of those symptoms, plus I was sooo nauseated. And I have been ridiculously tired these past 4 days. I came home and took a 3 hour nap. Every day for the past week, I’ve had a dream about testing positive; which again, was my number 1 sign with my son. Not to mention AF has been all over the place since I’ve been on my birth control, but the heaviness of it has stayed the same. I skipped last month’s cycle and started this month on the 10th, but it’s sooo light! Heavier than spotting, but not enough to even fill a tampon throughout the whole day. I felt my implant yesterday and it feels like it might be broken, so I guess that would explain how I got pregnant on the most effective birth control there is. Then again, my son was a plan B baby. It’s like the universe just wants me to have babies when I’m trying to prevent them! So anyway, what do you think? It is possible that I could be pregnant but just very early, and that’s why the other tests have been negative? Surely I couldn’t of falsely tested positive on 3 different tests? Help please! This is driving me insane not knowing.

Replies

• It's really difficult to say, when you tested positive with your little boy did you get strong positives / did your HCG rise normally?

If so I'd recommend the standard advice, give it 2 days and use a pregnancy test that is the same brand as your most recent positive. Compare the result and if the line is noticeably stronger then you're pregnant. However if the line remains the same or gets lighter I'd suggest you arent pregnant / are undergoing a chemical pregnancy.
  • I did get a strong positive with my son, but not until I was 5 weeks. I took the top test in the picture and the bottom test about 3 days apart. And they’re still faint positives. I’ve read that when you’re early in pregnancy, it can take a week or two until you get a BFP. It hasn’t been a week yet since I got my first positive. We weren’t planning another baby yet, hence the nexplanon, but nevertheless, I was still excited. I read about chemical pregnancies too. It’s a possibility. I just really hope that’s not the case.