Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anxious mum to be- antenatal test!!

I am really struggling and need someone to talk to😔

We had our screening results come back from the combined test and although we were classed as low risk, the odds they gave us were 1:225 and I felt uneasy about this.
This was based on high hcg and low Pap-a.

My husband didn’t see any negatives and was more than happy with this result, but to put my mind as risk we decided to pay for the harmony test.

I’ve had a call today to say I need to have a repeat blood test as there was insufficient fetal DNA in my blood. 

I managed to speak to the lab who carry out the test and I’ve been told this is nothing to worry about and doesn’t indicate any issues or concerns to the baby, but obviously I can’t help but worry. 

I’m 17+5 weeks, was 16 when I had the blood test, which included the scan which we were told all looked normal. 

I’ve been told that I have to have a second blood test but there’s a 35% chance that it could come back another fail.

I honestly just feel so down and upset.

After the poor results from the combined test I was really hoping the harmony test would put my mind at ease, but this failed test has just made me feel even more anxious.

I just keep thinking that this low Fetal DNA must mean something significant. 

I already love our baby girl so much but I’m so frightened that I’m going to lose her or something is going to go wrong.
I feel like I’m living under a black cloud.

My husband is so supportive but he was very positive about our combined test results so doesn’t share the same worries as I do,  I think he struggles to understand why I’m so worried. 😔

Replies

• That’s what you’re feeling is completely normal I think. We worry so much about our babies that anything makes us really anxious. 
    When is your next blood test? I’d do it ASAP to ease your anxiety. It does sound like this is normal and happens a lot from what you say or they would tell you that they were concerned. 
    I’m a real worrier so would be like you but try to take each day as it comes and take deep breaths to get you through things. 

Let us know how you get on- I’m sure your baby girl will be absolutely fine.xxxx
  • Thank you, I’ve just had it now.
    another 7-10 days for the results. 
    The lady who has just taken my bloods was very reassuring but I just can’t help but make up all kinds of scenarios in my head. :(
  • Awww I know but they’d tell you if they were worried honestly! I’d get myself worked up thinking that they didn’t want to tell me bad news but they would have to. 
    Stay positive and do whatever you can to stay calm. Sleep’s important because it makes anxiety worse, so even if you have to nap in the day- do it!!! Your baby girl gives you a great excuse!!!

I've just had a baby girl and she is amazing! That will be you pretty soon!!!xxxx
  • Thank you. xxx