Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I’m a doula – ask me anything

Replies

• @Sigsauer hello! I had a question for you. This is my 1st pregnancy at age 37, I’m 8w4d tonight and have had very mild symptoms and sometimes this makes me worry. I’ve had sore breasts since a week after conceiving but the intensity of that has lessened quite a bit and some days they aren’t really sore at all. They also haven’t grown hardly at all either. I haven’t had any ms, only indigestive issues - all on and off - heartburn, bloating, gas, constipation. For a short time I had heightened sense of smell but I feel like that has lessened as well. I also had cravings only for a week or so. I can’t help but feel slightly worried bc I don’t know what to expect. So much is unknown to me and you have to wait so long to get everything confirmed after your at home pregnancy test. 

We opted out of getting the first scan at 8 weeks bc we want to do a homebirth and we want as little unnatural interventions as possible. Plus I have tracked my cycle for years and know when the 1st day of my LMP was and I also used an ovulation test to know when I ov.

We have our 1st prenatal appointment with the midwife Dec.18 where I’ll be 10w2d and we plan to hear the heartbeat 💓. I really feel I need this for reassurance to make everything  come together and feel more real. 

Time couldn’t move any slower at this point bc I’m really looking forward to that appointment to make sure there is even a heartbeat and to make sure everything is ok. I feel left in the dark having to wait so long. 

I guess my biggest fear right now is a missed miscarriage. Any advice is welcome 🙏💕
  • I had an ultrasound on novener 27th 2019 and it said gestational sac was 5 weeks 4 days but sac was empty. Then I had an other ultrasound today december 6th 2019, 1 week and 2 daus later and it said I was 7 weeks 5 days and they could see fetus and heart beat. How could it change that much in just a week?
  • @Mama2be9 congratulations! Some women don't get any symptoms at all, some breast will grow later in pregnancy, some have symptoms through all pregnancy, some just few days. Everything is normal. Its normal to have fears. If you feel that scan will help you go for it. At your first mw appointment you will not hear heartbeat (only if she will do scan, that  community mw don't do) it will be more like Q&A type appointment. For now try hypnotherapy for pregnant women (there is a good one on amazon) and prenatal yoga (on YouTube) but only as you feel good about doing this. Try to take your attention from pregnancy, as stress hormones are bad for baby xxx
  • @Worrywart425 congratulations!
    it this stage everything going so rapidly. Only around 10-12weeks everything slows down and going as it should. And anyway there are odd occasions.
    In my pregnancy on 12 weeks scan they said it looks like 9+3 and ask to come back In 2 weeks... Than it was 13+6....
    Just think they saw foetus and there is heartbeat. So everything is great! 
  • Mama2be9Mama2be9 Regular
    edited Dec 7, 2019 2:23PM
    @Sigsauer thanks so much for your response dear! I keep reading how so many have this symptom and that and how intense it’s getting so then I look at myself and go, “oh no I’m not getting any of that!” Your words are reassuring. So you don’t think I should worry about a mmc?

also I talked with the mw and we are definitely doing the Doppler scan at the 1st appt to hear the heartbeat. So that is great!! 👍

Yes stress is bad for the baby. I meditate daily and take walks in nature and this really helps stabilize my mind. Getting some answers from you also helps me feel at ease knowing that what I’m feeling is normal and to consider myself lucky!! I would love to try prenatal yoga 🧘‍♀️ 
  • @Mama2be9 it is a little bit pointless to worry about it,as it is something you can't control anyway (unfortunately). So just try positive thoughts, good walks on fresh air...and try not to think about bad things
    You are very lucky to have such a good mw. Just make sure you will contact her if you need this small reassurience. Hope you will have easy pregnancy. 
  • @Sigsauer Was wondering  if it’s normal to have brown spotting around eight weeks had some last night after wiping and also this morning maybe slight cramping 
  • I am only 5 weeks pregnant but I’ve been having low back pain. On Thursday night, it was so bad that I passed out and had to go to the ER. They said my hcg levels aren’t where they’re supposed to be but no sign of a miscarriage yet. Is lower back pain normal in early pregnancy?
  • @Summer08 it can be normal but always  better check with GP or MW
    @Wathor15 what you mean saying HCG not where it supposed to be? 
    Pain can be normal as your uterus stretching, but as you had such a strong pain I would check it and asked for scan. 
  • @Sigsauer he said my hcg is at 300 and it should be at 500 I guess. I get my levels tested again on Tuesday to see if they went up. No spotting or bleeding so that’s a good sign I hope!
  • Why he would say this? 300 is still in range for 5 weeks... Really it's hard to say anything before you know progression.
    Pain can be unrelated to pregnancy. How would you describe pain (cramps, stabbing ect.) 
  • @Sigsauer that’s what I thought so that’s why I was a little concerned/skeptical that he said that. The pain when I went to ER was like a sharp pain. Now, it’s just a dull ache but it could be because I’m in Disneyland and I’m walking around all day. 
  • Don't think it's pregnancy related tbh. If it would be pain felt like cramps.
  • Thank you so much @Sigsauer! Your words have brought comfort. Yes I needed to hear that it’s pointless to worry about a mmc bc it’s not anything I can control. Wow! This whole journey is about surrender, faith and letting go. Something I try and cultivate through meditating but this has been hard to apply it. I will keep my head up, think positive, and pray for the best 🙏
  • @Mama2be9 fingers crossed for you. And remember everything happens for a reason. X
  • @Sigsauer, I am 5w+6 days today. I had some very mild bleeding yesterday- i didnt saturate any pads but it was there whenever i wiped. I am having an IVF baby, so i’m on vaginal progesterone- the nurse says it is abrasive and can cause some bleeding in early pregnancy so i shouldnt worry. My prenatal scan is on Jan 2. I’m just scared because i had a mc at 7 wks in July. Is it normal to have slight bleeding? Also, i feel some slight pressure in my pelvic
  • @Monib20 first of all try not to panic. Your nurse is right, you can have small bleeding. Pressure might be as your uterus stretching. Keep an eye on bleeding and if it will become stronger give a call to your clinic. 
  • Hello! I'm new to the site. My husband and I have been ttc for over 6 months and 2 days ago I thought I was having implantation bleeding. This lasted for 2 days only when wiping nothing left in panty liner. 3rd day pretty heavy in urine and when wiping yet nothing on the pa . 4th day stopped. Any idea what this could be?
  • @Gabe0927 have you been on pill? What is your regular cycle? 
  • Hi! I've never been on the pill and my cycle is regular. 28 day cycle and lasts 5 days. No spotting before, when it comes is just there with mild cramping the day it starts.