Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is miscarriage still a fear?

OK so forgive me if this is slightly long. I'm 23 and I'm nine weeks today. All my labs have been normal. I had an ultrasound at 6 and a half weeks and we had a clear heartbeat. Today I am nine weeks and we had another ultrasound a few days ago and heartbeat was normal at 170. Dr says everything is currently great. But I've had so many friends who have miscarriages and I'm worrying a hole in the floor with my fear. This is my first pregnancy so I am unsure of a lot of things. I guess I'm just wondering when I can stop fear miscarriage so drastically. 

Replies

• I know everyone is different and unfortunately, some people miscarry at different times, but 12 weeks is usually when the chance drops very drastically of having a miscarriage. I was told seeing the heartbeat on a scan at 8 weeks (in US) drops the risk, but of course that isn’t the case for everyone. Since you’ve seen the heartbeat and it’s healthy, I would try to put it in the back of your mind. It is hard to do for sure, but you are close to that 12-week mark 
  • Thanks I appreciate the info
  • Hi Klingonskywalker,

welcome to motherhood, or shall I call it worryhood as that’s what it is! 

My best advice to you is try to get from one scan to the other and listen to the doctors. Unfortunately the reality is that things can happen along the way but worrying about them is like trying to solve a math problem by chewing gum - you will not get anywhere. 

My extensive google mania says past 13 weeks is where you can try and relax a bit. 

Fingers crossed for you!

O
  • @Littlesprout i appreciate the advice. Im 21 weeks 3 days today and my anatomy scan came back completely normal so im feeling a little better. Havnt felt him kick yet but i think we are doing well.
  • @Klingonskywalker that is truly wonderful, keep going 😊