Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Fetal doppler struggled to find heartbeat?

edited Feb 17, 2020 10:17AM in Pregnancy
Hallo, is there anyone who has been using a semi professional or professional home Doppler and struggled to find a heartbeat?? Which resulted in a long search ?

Replies

• I have one. How many weeks are you?
  • I am now 17 and you? I used it when I was almost 14. How long did it take you to find a heartbeat? And which brand is your Doppler? 
  • I am 27 and 5 days. I struggled some when I was around 12 weeks, but then I watched where my OB placed it to find it. I find it pretty much instantly now. I’m not sure what brand mine is, all the box says is “fetal Doppler”. It was actually given to me by a friend, so I’m not sure where she got it
  • would you be maybe able to get a name for me
    please? And would you be able for how long exactly were you looking for  A baby’s heart? 
  • I can ask her if she knows. I am in the US if that makes a difference. If I look for it now, I find it in a few seconds. When I was 11 weeks, it took me about 5 mins
  • Its not long at all :( it took me way longer. Now I’m worried. But thanks 
  • I rented one during my pregnancy. Sometimes it took me longer than others. Have you found the heartbeat now?xx
  • It doesn’t matter how long it takes you to find it as long as you find it. Baby can be turning and moving etc.xx
  • Thanks for your reply!

do you remember how long maxi. Did it take you to find it? 

EmJ3 said:r

• Maybe 15 mins- slightly longer maybe. I’d stop and then start again. Have you found the heartbeat?x
  • Yes, I did but it lasted a looking time! And I feel so so guilty right now :( I am looking for at least one person who could have had similar experience to mine. At one evening I had around 5-6 tries each a few minutes maybe even 10
    and then in the end I was so panicked I searched and searched dont know for how long. How many tries of about 15 min  did you have until you found a heartbeat?
  • right hang on a second, You could have an anterior placenta where it’s at the front or anything. As long as you can find the heartbeat then it doesn’t matter. You are not a nurse and neither am I. This is why the midwives hate anyone using them, particularly untrained. I was a bit obsessive and used it a couple of times a day so got quite good at it but even so, sometimes I still struggled.xx
  • Please don’t panic or stress about this.xxx
  • I wouldn’t stress on how long it took to find the heart beat as long as you find it. A lot of OBGYN’s do not recommend using them
  • I agree with them. There’s no set time it takes to find it. My doctor can always find it right away, but she is a doctor, I am not. My placenta is anterior but now she’s higher up, so it’s easier for me. Keep in mind I’m also 27 weeks which is 10 ahead of you 
  • I thought so too about this placenta... especially thst in the end when I found it I had to press really hard for that. So she was somewhere behind apparently but still I’m wondering if anybody else has searched like me. So on one day you would have a couple of tries each lasting a couple of minutes right?

EmJ3 said:
    right hang on a second, You could have an anterior placenta where it’s at the front or anything. As long as you can find the heartbeat then it doesn’t matter. You are not a nurse and neither am I. This is why the midwives hate anyone using them, particularly untrained. I was a bit obsessive and used it a couple of times a day so got quite good at it but even so, sometimes I still struggled.xx

• Yeah. Sometimes it took a few goes before I got it. I’d get up and have a walk around and then try again. 

You’ll notice that after about 21/22 weeks, you’ll find it a lot quicker although there were still times when she used to hide and stress me out.xxx
  • Thanks a lot for all then information. As long as I know Inam not the only one madly looking’for it.!in fact I can easily find it nowadays at 17 weeks but inwas just very worried I used it too much i when I couldn’t find her.
  • Do you know that your placenta might affect this. Because it's harder to allocate heartbeat if you have anterior placenta. Also it's not recommended to use the doppler.