Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Maternity Clothes - Sizing help!

Hi everyone, just needed some help trying to figure out sizing. I don't need maternity clothes yet but just wanted to take advantage of some sales. Not sure what sizes to go for at the moment, I am still a s-m. Do I need to be buying pants/pajamas in L/XL for the end of second trimester/third trimester? Should I stick to buying s and m? I've tried looking online but haven't seen anything that helps with what sizing I should be getting for the very end. I don't want to wait too long as stores are mostly closed and I don't want to physically go and shop/try on clothes. Online deliveries are also taking a very long time, don't want to be stuck in a situation where I have nothing to wear! Any advice/help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!

Replies

• I'm 36 weeks pregnant I havent bought any maternity clothing apart from nursing bra and over bump elasticated jeans. I had winter jacket that I bought and it was huge. So i would suggest one thing. Always watch the size guide. I have bought maternity jacket before size 12 which I went one size bigger and it was huge on me. So maternity clothes are already bigger even if you buy your normal size.
  • U will be fine with going one size up for your pyjamas if you are sticking to normal clothing but if u opt in for maternity pyjamas or clothing you might want to stick to your true size because maternity clothes are already improved in bump area which should fit you. I have bought normal pyjamas I wear size 10 normally but I have big hips so I went for size 12 which is size s-m with elastic band and it still fits me okay. as well as leggings size S are still alright as long as I dont put them over my bump, but I got size M in case. Hope this helps.
  • Maternity clothes are really difficult to buy in advance because you don't know how much weight you'll put on. Ayana is correct though, you should buy your current size if you're buying maternity clothes. Obviously, if you end up putting on quite a bit of weight then you'll need to go up a size for your maternity clothes, but think of maternity clothes as normal clothes but with space for your bump. If you're just buying bigger 'normal' clothes then you'll want to go up one or two sizes, but depending on what you're buying you'll probably find they drown you/don't fit right everywhere except your bump. If you do buy normal clothes, aim for very stretchy clothes in your size or a size above. They'll probably be your best bet but it's difficult to predict.

Personally I'd recommend some over the bump maternity jeans if you normally wear jeans. I don't normally wear branded/expensive clothes but I invested in a couple of pairs of JoJo Maman Bébé over bump jeans and was so glad I did. I also bought 1 cheap pair of maternity jeans and they were constantly falling down unlike the JoJo Maman Bébé jeans. I moved into my maternity jeans somewhere between 20-24 weeks. I continued to wear all my normal tops up until 31/32 weeks. Then I bought a few 'normal' tops in the size above but only got as far as 33+2 so don't know what I'd have needed later on. I didn't need new PJs, but then I had enough loose non-maternity PJs to begin with. I'd probably try to find some super super stretchy ones in my current size if I'd needed any, or have gone up 1 size.

I also had a few maternity dresses that I'd bought in my original size and that fitted well from 24 weeks up until I gave birth. They look a little odd and baggy until you have a proper bump though so I preferred jeans and a top until I had a really obvious bump.